Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > IFO/VOB Editors
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 5th January 2006, 19:21   #61  |  Link
voo_doo99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanl
Beta 0.71 of DVDSubEdit is now available
I just started using this tool, it's really neat and I like it a lot. As I often watch DVDs with Sub-title on, this tool would enhance the viewing.

I have the following comments and questions:
- Sometimes I need to manually position a bunch of SPUs away from the text/graphics in the video. The SPUs were usually sequential in this case, but the change steps had to be repeated for each SPU, and this got hard on the hand. Can you add a button to "Apply last value" for the position box?.
- The position slider is good for large adjustment but awkward for small one. Can you add left/right arrows for fine adjustment?
- The Sub display position changed in 4:3 TV. Is there a way to preview the Sub position for 4:3 TV screen?
- Questions: can Sub font size/type be changed?

Thanks and keep up the good work.
voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2006, 19:55   #62  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by voo_doo99
I just started using this tool, it's really neat and I like it a lot. As I often watch DVDs with Sub-title on, this tool would enhance the viewing.

I have the following comments and questions:
- Sometimes I need to manually position a bunch of SPUs away from the text/graphics in the video. The SPUs were usually sequential in this case, but the change steps had to be repeated for each SPU, and this got hard on the hand. Can you add a button to "Apply last value" for the position box?.
this is next on my todo! I've noticed how tedious it can be, and I want to fix that. I'm adding a menu to the app, with a option to "redo modifications" and a keyboard shortcut.
Quote:
- The position slider is good for large adjustment but awkward for small one. Can you add left/right arrows for fine adjustment?
Yes, good idea.
Quote:
- The Sub display position changed in 4:3 TV. Is there a way to preview the Sub position for 4:3 TV screen?
Not sure what you mean. Can you explain? If your DVD is 16:9 there are 3 display types possible, 16:9, letterboxed and pan/scan. Usually subtitles are provided both for 16:9 and letterboxed. Is that what you mean? DVDSubEdit shows you both (they're in separate streams) and you can adjust them independently.
Quote:
- Questions: can Sub font size/type be changed?
NO! That would be great, but unfortunately this is far from easy. Sub are not coded as text files in the DVD! they're images. So to change the font or the size you'd have to work straight on the image (either by doing some image manipulation -zooming etc- or character recognition and re-encoding). In any case, this is not easy, and the new subpics have to fit (sector-wise) in the space taken by the original ones. Certainly not an easy task.

jean

Last edited by jeanl; 19th January 2006 at 01:23.
jeanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 19:11   #63  |  Link
voo_doo99

Quote:
this is next on my todo! I've noticed how tedious it can be, and I want to fix that. I'm adding a menu to the app, with a option to "redo modifications" and a keyboard shortcut.

Yes, good idea.
TIA for the future enhancements

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Can you explain? If your DVD is 16:9 there are 3 display types possible, 16:9, letterboxed and pan/scan. Usually subtitles are provided both for 16:9 and letterboxed. Is that what you mean? DVDSubEdit shows you both (they're in separate streams) and you can adjust them independently.
jean
Well, my DVD is 16:9 but my TV is 4:3, so I can only view the DVD in my TV letterboxed display mode. I noticed, becaused of my 4:3 LB display, the Sub positions that I selected with DVDSubEdit preview 16:9 mode were moved toward the bottom or top blank areas. I would really like to preview the Sub exact position in the 4:3 LB display, but was not able to do so with DVDSubEdit or a software player [which would only display the DVD in its 16:9 format]. Since you are known as the preview king, I thought I'd ask . And... could you also add a Play/Stop button to allow continuous preview of the SPUs

voo_doo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2006, 19:21   #64  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by voo_doo99
Well, my DVD is 16:9 but my TV is 4:3, so I can only view the DVD in my TV letterboxed display mode. I noticed, becaused of my 4:3 LB display, the Sub positions that I selected with DVDSubEdit preview 16:9 mode were moved toward the bottom or top blank areas. I would really like to preview the Sub exact position in the 4:3 LB display, but was not able to do so with DVDSubEdit or a software player [which would only display the DVD in its 16:9 format]. Since you are known as the preview king, I thought I'd ask . And... could you also add a Play/Stop button to allow continuous preview of the SPUs
OK I see what you mean. What we need is for DVDSubEdit to display the 16:9 video as it would be seen in a LB 4:3 TV (i.e., with the black bands at the top and bottom) and show the subtitles exactly where they will fall. At the moment, the subtitles are shown in their correct location in true 16:9 mode or in original 4:3 mode. I need to do what pgcedit does when it shows menus in the three different modes. I"ll put that on my todo list!
Jeanl
Old 6th January 2006, 19:27   #65  |  Link
jeanl

Here's an unofficial release, beta 0.72 with the following improvements:
  • The app now has a menu, which should help "unclutter" the dialog.
  • There's an OpenFile menu to open a single vob, and an Open Full Domain to open a complete title.
  • Modifications brought to an spu can be pasted to another (use CTRL-V or the Edit menu).
  • Added tiny buttons to move subpics or borders by +/- 1 or 2 pixels.
  • New Icon for the app, thanks to Andrew Wagner!

Let me know what you think!
Thanks!
Jeanl
Old 7th January 2006, 12:26   #66  |  Link
Sajan

@Jeanl
Hi. Here is a question... Do you plan to add in DVDSubEdit such features as editing times or delay of SPUs? Or it's impossible because it will require remuxing of VOB?
Old 7th January 2006, 13:17   #67  |  Link
Zeul

The delay could be changed easily within the SPU details - however sufficent checks would need to be in place to ensure that the new timestamps would not conflict with other subs.
Zeul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 16:26   #68  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

But you cannot display the subpic before the pack in which it is defined is encountered. I guess you need demuxing if you want full control. It should be possible however to fine tune the delays w/o demuxing.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2006, 19:34   #69  |  Link
jeanl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeul
The delay could be changed easily within the SPU details - however sufficent checks would need to be in place to ensure that the new timestamps would not conflict with other subs.
It's not that easy either! According to mpucoder, the first command set (with a 0 delay) HAS to have the start command. So you can't use a command delay to delay the subs. One way I thought of was to make them transparent at first, then give them their original opacity in a timed command...
But IMHO, the better way to do it is to remux, in place if possible...
jeanl

Last edited by jeanl; 7th January 2006 at 19:37.
jeanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2006, 06:09   #70  |  Link
Sajan

@Jeanl
Did you think about something like editing demuxed subtitles (.sup)?

Last edited by Sajan; 8th January 2006 at 06:15.
Sajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2006, 06:30   #71  |  Link
jeanl

mmm, no I didn't. There's many tools for that... Do a search on subpic or subtitles in the videohelp tool section, and you'll see!
jeanl
Old 8th January 2006, 19:04   #72  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajan
@Jeanl
Did you think about something like editing demuxed subtitles (.sup)?
I highly recommend SubtitleCreator's Manipulate SUP tool for this... It'll let you delete subpics, change vertical positioning etc., too
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2006, 20:10   #73  |  Link
Sajan

Yes, SubtitleCreator is the almost one program that allow this (maybe srt2sup too, I didn't try it yet). But SubtitleCreator still have some bugs... I dont' know any other program that can edit SUP. That's why I'm still looking for a such prog.
Old 8th January 2006, 20:46   #74  |  Link
jeanl

Sajan, what are you trying to do to your subpics?
jeanl
Old 8th January 2006, 21:55   #75  |  Link
CoNS
reMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajan
Yes, SubtitleCreator is the almost one program that allow this (maybe srt2sup too, I didn't try it yet). But SubtitleCreator still have some bugs...
My experience is that Paddington, the author of SubtitleCreator, is very open to bug reports, suggestions of new features etc. However, he doesn't seem to check the Subtitle section of this forum so often! You could try to send him a pm with your bug report/suggestions...
CoNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2006, 16:51   #76  |  Link
Sajan

Quote:
Sajan, what are you trying to do to your subpics?
jeanl
I'm just want to edit DVD my subtitles. Recognition, converting back to SUP... - it's too much unreasonable work for timing of some phrases or to set a delay of entire subpic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNS
My experience is that Paddington, the author of SubtitleCreator, is very open to bug reports, suggestions of new features etc. However, he doesn't seem to check the Subtitle section of this forum so often! You could try to send him a pm with your bug report/suggestions...
Yes, I had conversation with him several times (basically via PM or e-mail), some days ago I've posted in SubtitleCreator thread (still w/o answer), so my experience tells me the same now (that PM or e-mail is more preferred to him).
Old 10th January 2006, 09:59   #77  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Hi Sajan.

For basic manipulations of sup files, I had recently some nice experience using DvdSupTools:

http://web.quick.cz/FKasparek/Softwa...VDSupTools.htm

The interface is very poor (command line based) but it very easily allows to decode the sup titles, generating a txt file and, optionally, a very small bitmat for each subtitle. These files can be changed via standard text and graphic editors. Then the new subtitles can be encoded again in the native format via the Subtitle Encoder...

Edit: by the way, sorry being definitely off topic...
and many, many thanks to jeanl for his excellent tool...

Last edited by Sir Didymus; 10th January 2006 at 10:37.
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2006, 23:06   #78  |  Link
jeanl

I have a question for you dedicated users
I've had a couple requests to add regular movie playback so the subs show as the movie plays. That's relatively easy with the preview code (based on dvd2avi), but the problem is, it's without audio!!!! My feeling is that it's nearly useless if you can't hear the audio at the same time you see the subs. How else would you check good synchronization...
Do you guys agree?
If you do, I probably won't implement the "playback" idea.... Not until dvd2avi can playback audio (which isn't in a while!).
jeanl
Old 10th January 2006, 23:16   #79  |  Link
Rockas
Ridendo Castigat Mores

Quote:
I have a question for you dedicated users
I've had a couple requests to add regular movie playback so the subs show as the movie plays. That's relatively easy with the preview code (based on dvd2avi), but the problem is, it's without audio!!!! My feeling is that it's nearly useless if you can't hear the audio at the same time you see the subs. How else would you check good synchronization...
Do you guys agree?
If you do, I probably won't implement the "playback" idea.... Not until dvd2avi can playback audio (which isn't in a while!).
jeanl
That could be solved if you add an option to load an Audio stream, right?
THat way, users could demux the audio track and then load it.

www.dvdrebuilder.com
RME
Rockas Software
Rockas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2006, 00:11   #80  |  Link
kumi
Straight to video

On the Hong Kong Legends PAL (R2, R4) disc of Mr. Vampire I have, both subpicture streams have 0-value contrast on all SPUs (b=0 p=0 e1=0 and e2=0) They need to be b=0 p=15 e1=15 and e2=15.

I went about fixing this in DVDSubEdit 0.73, but for some reason, the changes are not being saved to the VOBs. Here's my workflow for reference:

0) Rip to directory on NTFS drive.
1) File | Open full domain | select "VTS_01_1.VOB"
2) Wait for SPUs to load (there's 2 streams, about 2000 total subpics)
3) Edit current subpic | p | move slider to 15
4) Click apply to all selected.
5) repeat steps 3 and 4 for e1 and e2.
6) Click Save All Changes. The progress meter in the status box that opens doesn't "progress", although the preview and subpic info parts of the main window redraw repeatedly for about 1/2 a minute, indicating some sort of activity is going on

After the save status box closes itself, the SPUs show that my changes have been applied... but when I re-open DSE and reload the vobs, the contrast values are all back to 0.

thanks

Edit: Here's what a typical SPU info looks like, after applying changes:

Code:
SPU# = 530
StreamID = 0x21
LBA = 36803
V/CID = 1/7
Duration = 3.675s
DCSQT: 0
  Set Color: e2=1 e1=1 p=2 b=3
  Set Contrast: e2=15 e1=15 p=15 b=0
  Set Display Area: sx=0 ex=719 sy=2 ey=574
  Set field indexes
  Start
  End of commands
DCSQT: 1 -- Delay 0.034s
  End of commands
DCSQT: 2 -- Delay 3.630s
  End of commands
DCSQT: 3 -- Delay 3.675s
  Stop

Last edited by kumi; 11th January 2006 at 01:34.
kumi is offline   Reply With Quote