Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 8th June 2022, 16:17   #41  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
Hello Lowpro!

I am so impressed with your BDRB menus!! They are fine pieces of art! I want to learn how to!
1883 series was really good and I would like to put the episodes on Blu-ray discs.
I am familiar with some of the tools exept for BDSup2Sub and BDedit.
Never used the Quick-Play Menus in BDRB and don't know how to activate it.
Could you please show me the steps required, the workflow you use?
I don't need to be micromanaged, I'm fine with Trial & Error, my best friends.
I have the episodes as mkv and subtitles as srt.
I made some basic Blu-ray discs with menus using Photoshop and multiAVCHD before.
multiAVCHD tool is somewhat buggy but it is manageble.
Wouldn't it be awesome if Mr. Dean would continue the development?

Best regards,
varekai

PS/
If you prefer using PM just let me know.
Hi Varekai. Thanks for the kind words and yes, I'd be happy to walk you through the process I follow, my workflow. Integrating your MKV's and SRT's for "1883" into my Blu-ray menus might be a good place to start, a good exercise if you will. The first step would be to export your SRT files to Blu-ray subtitles (SUP) using SubtitleEdit (Multiple Replace, Fix Common Errors, Remove Text for Hearing Impaired, Export). I use BDSup2Sub after the fact to reposition all captions based on the aspect ratio of the particular video as I always want my subtitles within the visible frame. The same thing can be done when exporting from SubtitleEdit, but I prefer BDSup2Sub to do this.

Once your subtitles (SUP) are ready to go you'd author your MKV's to Blu-ray using multiAVCHD adding your subtitles (SUP) for each title (episode) along the way. Once building the Blu-ray you'd then replace the "M2TS/MPLS/CLPI" files for each title (episode) within my "1883" Blu-ray's with your own. You'd then load the resulting Blu-ray's in BDedit updating the playlist (MPLS) for each title (episode) ensuring each are calling out the correct M2TS file. From there I'd suggest testing the given Blu-ray using a software based Blu-ray player that supports Blu-ray folder playback. If everything checks out you could then burn "Disc 1" to a BD50 and "Disc 2" to a BD25. That's all there is to it. Well, it's a bit more involved than what I described here. That's the quick and dirty version anyway. Time permitting I'll revisit this post providing more detail on the steps I follow with respects to multiAVCHD.

Last edited by Lowpro; 18th February 2023 at 22:42.
Lowpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 14:07   #42  |  Link
varekai

Excellent guide!

Thank you Lowpro!
Excellent guide!
Thank you so much for the guide, really great with the GUI pictures!
Really appreciate that you took the time to do this.
I'll get started right away. I'm going to start with padding first so that's out of the way.
I have used ffmpeg to do this before, it should work just as well as multiAVCHD?
I can make a batch run of all files.
I'll get back to you on how this project works out.
Thank you and best regards,
varekai
varekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2022, 16:46   #43  |  Link
Lowpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
Thank you Lowpro!
Excellent guide!
Thank you so much for the guide, really great with the GUI pictures!
Really appreciate that you took the time to do this.
I'll get started right away. I'm going to start with padding first so that's out of the way.
I have used ffmpeg to do this before, it should work just as well as multiAVCHD?
I can make a batch run of all files.
I'll get back to you on how this project works out.
Thank you and best regards,
varekai
You're welcome, Varekai. And regarding the menus I create using BDRB, I didn't really touch on this in my prior post. The only thing I use BDRB for at this point is to create Quick-Play menus and I never do so by importing the actual titles the Blu-ray is intended for. I generate a given "Quick-Play" menu using a test folder instead. I created a Blu-ray of a 1/2 second blank video file which represents a single title. If I want to create a Quick-Play menu that consists of 7 titles I place 7 copies of that Blu-ray in my test folder, then importing the test folder to BDRB. On import BDRB creates the Quick-Play menu. I then customize the resulting Quick-Play menu to my liking after the fact using BDedit. Using other software such as multiAVCHD I then take my source files, i.e. movie or TV episodes creating a Blu-ray that contains no menu, then integrating the resulting "M2TS/MPLS/CLPI" files for each title with the Blu-ray created using BDRB mirroring the numbering used by BDRB. Once integrating the actual titles I then update each of the playlists (MPLS) ensuring each are calling out the correct M2TS file, i.e. multiAVCHD numbers its files starting with 00000 where BDRB numbers its files starting with 00001. See the first post of this thread for more on this. At the beginning of the post I provide a download link to my test folder if interested. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 18th February 2023 at 22:49.
Old 10th June 2022, 00:15   #44  |  Link
Lowpro

NCIS: The Nineteenth Season (2021)

Here's the latest TV season I've authored (MediaInfo/SubtitleEdit/BDSup2Sub/multiAVCHD/BDRB/Abobe Photoshop/PNG Quantizer/BDedit/ImgBurn) to Blu-ray. Thought I'd share the end result. Below is what the TV series looks like for me from My Movies for Windows Media Center. Included below is a link to my online profile for the TV series which mirrors my local DVD Profiler database, the "Overview" section of the profile including an "Episode List" and "Episode Guide" with images.

As seen from My Movies for Windows Media Center...

(Click on the image above to view my online profile for this title.)

And here are screenshots of the Blu-ray menus I worked up. I spread the episodes out across 3 BD25's, 7 episodes per disc. :-P

As seen from my Blu-ray player...

(Click on the preview image above to view the full size image.)

That being said, the above QP menus can be downloaded here for anyone who would like to check them out. As with my prior QP menu downloads, this is BYOE, i.e. bring your own episodes. The QP menus contains 0.5 second blank video files in place of the actual episodes. To incorporate my QP menus with your own Blu-ray's of the TV series just overwrite your M2TS and CLPI files (99001-99002) with the ones from my QP menus and you'll be all set. To retain my QP menu item and page navigation behavior carry over the index.bdmv and MovieObject.bdmv files as well. Enjoy!

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:25.
Old 13th June 2022, 09:06   #45  |  Link
varekai

Hello!

I give up. I - Give - Up.
After lots of trying, using all valid input videoformats, the program crashes constantly.
I uninstalled the program, cleaned the registry, and all the leftovers, and there where a lot of them, reinstalled, but no cigar.
What input format do you use?
Maybe I have an exotic operating system?
I knew the program was buggy as hell but now I will not get any further than this.
The first 4 screenshots is 1920x960 and the 5th is after ffmpeg padding to 1920x1080, still get the same errors and crash.

See screenshots below.

One thing I now come to think of is the audio is E-AC-3 (Dolby Digital Plus), could this be the culprit?
Or the data in "First video stream"?

The program has not been updated since 2012... that is maaany moons ago.
[04/07/2012] build 771 - Few minor fixes (runtime/line 109 errors). Changed handling of some rare flavours of video in MP4 container.
Is has worked for me though, I dug out an old BD-R with season 3 of "Boardwalk Empire" I made in 2013.

Oh well... how I wish Mr. Dean would continue with his now abandoned software...

Kind regards,
varekai
Old 13th June 2022, 14:47   #46  |  Link
Lowpro

This is what my install of multiAVCHD v4.1 (build 771) shows when initially launching the application. I run multiAVCHD under both Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and Windows 10 Home Premium and have not had a single error message to date or application crash.

[08:41:10] Initialising...
[08:41:10] Checking for new version...
[08:41:11] You have the latest build.
[08:41:11] Consistency check finished!
[08:41:11] Initialization finished. multiAVCHD is ready!
[08:41:11] 13 years and 172 days since multiAVCHD was published.
[08:41:11] Support multiAVCHD to extend its features and keep it going!
[08:41:11] multiAVCHD.dat version: [04010767]

When authoring online content to Blu-ray I'm always working with MP4's. Also, the online content I'm working with I download directly from the given provider using my own account in conjunction with third party tools. I don't obtain said content by other means, i.e. from sources that don't have the rights to distribute said content.

That being said, you're clearly having issues with multiAVCHD and multiAVCHD is clearly having issues with your source files. For general assistance with multiAVCHD I'd recommend the thread found here. That's the best advise I can give you. And of course, any discussion of your source files should be taken offline naturally as to not break the forum rules.

Last edited by Lowpro; 13th July 2022 at 22:03.
Old 14th June 2022, 08:07   #47  |  Link
varekai

I got it working! YAY!

I got it working! YAY!
Used a different approach, and after lot of trail & error it's now working!
Test result.

I used easySUP for subtitles, there's a 24 fps bug in it which can be fixed with an hex editor.
Agreed on the things you mentioned.
The old multiAVCHD thread is not much of a help these days.
I'm so glad you got me going... lots of fun ahead!
I will follow your thread and add your menu templates in the future.
Thanks lowpro, much appreciated!

Best regards,
varekai

multiAVCHD is a bit finicky with paths, and this, you have to launch as admin.
just start
[21:56:05] Initialising...
[21:56:05] Checking for new version...
[21:56:14] You have the latest build.
[21:56:14] Update executable (multiupdate.exe) size mismatch!
[21:56:14] Downloading...
HttpSendRequest error
[21:56:14] Download error!

as admin
[21:58:37] Initialising...
[21:58:37] Checking for new version...
[21:58:37] You have the latest build.
[21:58:37] Consistency check finished!
[21:58:37] Initialization finished. multiAVCHD is ready!
[21:58:37] 13 years and 172 days since multiAVCHD was published.
[21:58:37] Support multiAVCHD to extend its features and keep it going!
[21:58:37] multiAVCHD.dat version: [04010767]
Old 16th June 2022, 19:36   #48  |  Link
Lowpro

Stranger Things 4 (2022)

I just finished cataloging and authoring "Stranger Things 4" to Blu-ray. Below is what the Quick-Play menu looks like.

And here's the subtitle breakdown. When authoring to Blu-ray I included 3 subtitle tracks for each episode per the below.

1. English
2. English SDH
3. English (forced)

Episode 1 was the only episode that didn't include a forced subtitle track. Using BDedit I added an additional "PG (Subtitle)" PlayItem to the Playlist (MPLS) for Episode 1 also ensuring the Playlist (MPLS) for the Top Menu included 3 "PG (Subtitle)" PlayItems. I then added the below commands to the MovieObjects for Titles 1-9 prior to the given "Play PL" command.

Opcode | Destinat. | Source | Command line
48400200 | 80000002 | 0FFF0001 | EQ PSR2, 268369921
51C00001 | 0000C003 | 00000000 | SetStream (0), 3, (0), (0)

The above commands ensure the forced subtitle track is enabled by default, i.e. if subtitles are turned off set the subtitle stream to "3. English (forced)", otherwise do nothing.

In any event, just thought I'd share. When time permits I'll make a demo version of the Blur-ay available for download.

Last edited by Lowpro; 1st August 2022 at 09:28.
Old 2nd August 2022, 01:40   #49  |  Link
Lowpro

We can rebuild Season 1 on Blu-ray. We have the technology.

I purchased "The Six Million Dollar Man: The Complete Series" on Blu-ray recently. I didn't care for the Blu-ray menus and functionality provided, so I decided to re-author the discs to my liking. Just finished with Season 1. I created the graphics for the menus in Photoshop. Once exporting the individual images I generated a Blu-ray compliant set of images using PNG Quantizer for import to BDedit. I then created the Blu-ray folder structure using BDedit importing the images along the way. The static menu background for the TOP MENU is a scan of the front portion of the retail cover art, the lower portion of the cover art being duplicated and extended to the right. It's very basic, but more than gets the job done and will be easy to replicate for the other seasons. The only files I carried over from the retail discs were the M2TS/CLPI files for each episode and bonus feature though I used different numbering for each set of files. End result shown below for Season 1, Disc 1. Screenshots of Discs 2-6 can be viewed in the Blu-ray.com forum thread here.

PLAY ALL:

(Items play sequentially. If playback can be resumed you're given the choice to start from beginning or resume from where you left off.)

(When playback can be resumed. If playback can't be resumed no prompt is given. Playback starts from beginning.)

TV MOVIES:

(If playback can be resumed you're given the choice to start from beginning or resume from where you left off. Play All function disabled.)

(If playback can be resumed you're given the choice to start from beginning or resume from where you left off. Play All function disabled.)

(When playback can be resumed. If playback can't be resumed no prompt is given. Playback starts from beginning.)

SETUP:

(Top Menu offers subtitle selection only. Audio selection built into "Episodes" menu option.)

BONUS:

(Takes you to "Episodes" menu option, the "Play Episode with Commentary" option being selected.)

MAIN MENU:

(Top Menu function of Blu-ray player remote disabled. Main Menu option must be used.)

TV MOVIES:

(Playback starts from beginning. Play All function disabled.)

SETUP:

(When no commentary track is available.)

(When commentary track is available.)

BONUS:

(Takes you to "Episodes" menu option, the "Play Episode with Commentary" option being selected.)

My custom Blu-ray's for "The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 1" can be downloaded here in the event anyone would like to check them out. The download is 15.6 MB and includes no files from the retail discs as I mentioned. Within the "BDMV\BACKUP\BDEDIT" folder for each disc (BD folder set) is a text file outlining which retail files (M2TS/CLPI) need to be added, how they should be named and where they should be placed. Short of that one could still check out the TOP MENU for a given disc using a software based Blu-ray player in addition to looking over the Blu-ray folder structure in BDedit. (When looking over the Blu-ray's in BDedit make sure to reference my GPR definitions. An excel sheet of my GRP definitions for a given disc can be found in its "BDMV\BACKUP\BDEDIT" folder.)

IMPORTANT NOTE: A mouse should not be used for menu nagivation when playing the Blu-ray's using a software based Blu-ray player. Navigating a given Blu-ray menu using a mouse will break the Blu-ray menu. Important things happen as you navigate the menus. Those things only take place when menu navigation is done using a keyboard just as would be the case when using a Blu-ray player remote control.

In any event, just thought I'd share the love. Questions and comments are welcome of course. Now on to Season 2, rinse and repeat. The fun never ends!

Last edited by Lowpro; 11th September 2022 at 01:37.
Old 6th August 2022, 21:07   #50  |  Link
Lowpro

We can rebuild "The Six Million Dollar Man" on Blu-ray. We have the technology.

In the process of re-authoring Season 2 I stumbled on to a few issues with Season 1 which needed addressed as I've been using Season 1 as a template. I've since gone back and corrected the issues with Season 1 and have completed my re-authoring of Seasons 2-5 and The Reunion Films. See below. Also, prior to re-authoring Season 3 I went back and gave Season 1 and Season 2 a facelift, all graphical text for the menus being replaced. Readability is much improved as a result as is the contrast between certain textual elements.

The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 1

(Click here to download my re-authoring of Season 1.) (15.6 MB)

The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 2

(Click here to download my re-authoring of Season 2.) (14.8 MB)

The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 3

(Click here to download my re-authoring of Season 3.) (14.6 MB)

The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 4

(Click here to download my re-authoring of Season 4.) (17 MB)

The Six Million Dollar Man: Season 5

(Click here to download my re-authoring of Season 5.) (13 MB)

The Six Million Dollar Man: The Reunion Films

(Click here to download my re-authoring of The Reunion Films.) (4.76 MB)

Below each preview image above is a download link to my re-authoring of the given season for those interested. (Pics of the Blu-ray menus for "Seasons 2-5" and "The Reunion Films" can be seen in the Blu-ray.com forum thread here.) As mentioned in my prior post, no files from the retail discs are included. Within the "BDMV\BACKUP\BDEDIT" folder for each disc (BD folder set) is a text file outlining which retail files (M2TS/CLPI) need to be added, how they should be named and where they should be placed. Short of that one could still check out the TOP MENU for a given disc using a software based Blu-ray player in addition to looking over the Blu-ray folder structure in BDedit. (When looking over the Blu-ray's in BDedit make sure to reference my GPR definitions. An excel sheet of my GRP definitions for a given disc can be found in its "BDMV\BACKUP\BDEDIT" folder.)

(IMPORTANT NOTE: A mouse should not be used for menu nagivation when playing the Blu-ray's using a software based Blu-ray player. Navigating a given Blu-ray menu using a mouse will break the Blu-ray menu. Important things happen as you navigate the menus. Those things only take place when menu navigation is done using a keyboard just as would be the case when using a Blu-ray player remote control.)

Last edited by Lowpro; 29th August 2022 at 04:19.
Old 10th September 2022, 22:20   #51  |  Link
Lowpro

I decided to make some additions to my re-authoring of Shout! Factory's The Six Million Dollar Man release. Well, for my personal versions of the discs. The latest additions here aren't included in what I've made available to download in my prior post. Just thought I'd share what I've done. See below.

The additions I've made involve the POPUP MENUS for the bonus features. Most of the bonus features are in SD. As such, the POPUP MENU for said bonus features would need to be in SD as well and there's no real way to reach a desirable result due to this. I've tried. So originally I had mirrored what the retail discs had done, the POPUP MENU for each bonus feature including no graphics. When invoking the POPUP MENU you'd immediately be taken back where you had selected the bonus feature from. Well, the retail discs always take you back to the MAIN MENU. I don't understand why they didn't offer proper resume functionality, but I digress.

For my personal version of the discs I decided to convert all the SD (480i | 720x480 | 29.970 fps) bonus features to HD (1080i | 1920x1080 | 29.970 fps). This allowed for including a proper POPUP MENU and one that was in HD. For bonus features with shorter running times I went with a single menu button which when activated takes you back where you had selected the bonus feature from. Examples shown below for "Disc 2" of "The Reunion Films".

When bonus feature selected from MAIN MENU...

When bonus feature selected from POPUP MENU of "Bionic Ever After"...

For bonus features with longer running times, the "OSI Mission Defriefing" bonus features, I included a "SCENES" menu option providing direct access to a given interview segment. Examples shown below for "Disc 2" of "The Reunion Films", the bonus feature containing 16 chapters.

When bonus feature selected from MAIN MENU...

When bonus feature selected from POPUP MENU of "Bionic Ever After"...

And here's a look at my "OSI Mission Debriefing" POPUP MENUS for Seasons 1, 4 and 5, the bonus features having been selected from either the MAIN MENU or from the POPUP MENU of a given episode.

Season 1 "OSI Mission Defriefing" (Chapters 1-8)

Season 4 "OSI Mission Defriefing" (Chapters 1-15)

Season 4 "OSI Mission Defriefing" (Chapters 16-31)

Season 5 "OSI Mission Defriefing" (Chapters 1-16)

Season 5 "OSI Mission Defriefing" (Chapters 17-32)

When accessing the "SCENES" menu option the current chapter (...value of PSR5) is selected by default. Navigating up from the topmost item wraps around to the last item on the current page. Navigating left/right takes you to the other page if applicable. Navigating down from the last item on a given page takes you back to the first level of the POPUP MENU, the "SCENES" menu option being selected.

Last edited by Lowpro; 11th September 2022 at 07:49.
Old 24th December 2022, 08:27   #52  |  Link
Lowpro

Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan: Season Three (2022)

I authored the latest season of this TV series to Blu-ray today. End result shown below.

(Blu-ray menu graphics confined to aspect ratio of presentation to accomodate my protector screen masking.)

The above is a basic "Quick-Play" menu which I refined after the fact using BDedit. Turned out pretty good I think.

In any event, just thought I'd share. Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.

Last edited by Lowpro; 12th February 2023 at 21:14.
Old 15th January 2023, 19:27   #53  |  Link
Lowpro

Bones: The Complete Series (2005-2017)

I'm currently in the process of authoring the TV series, "Bones" to Blu-ray. Well, the seasons that never received a Blu-ray release.

Pics of the Blu-ray menus for Seasons 1, 2, 3 and 9 shown below. Only have seasons 10-12 to go. In any event, just thought I'd share. Until next time.

Last edited by Lowpro; 16th February 2023 at 22:37.
Old 27th January 2023, 06:15   #54  |  Link
Lowpro

The Blacklist: The Complete Ninth Season (2021)

I just finished cataloging and authoring the latest season of "The Blacklist" to Blu-ray. Thought I'd share the end result.

(The cover art for the back portion is just temporary. I'll be working up a proper back cover this weekend. The fun never ends!)

These aren't "Quick-Play" menus obviously. It had been a while since I created a proper Top Menu and Popup Menu, so I decided why not. Enjoying checking it out.

PLAY ALL:

(Items play sequentially. If playback can be resumed you're given the choice to start from beginning or resume from where you left off.)

PLAY ALL (Resume):

(When playback can be resumed. If playback can't be resumed no prompt is given, playback starting from beginning of first episode on disc.)

EPISODES (Disc 1):

(If playback of selected episode can be resumed you're given the choice to start from beginning or resume from where you left off. Play All function disabled.)

EPISODES (Disc 2):

(If playback of selected episode can be resumed you're given the choice to start from beginning or resume from where you left off. Play All function disabled.)

EPISODES (Disc 3):

EPISODES (Disc 4):

EPISODES (Resume):

(When playback can be resumed. If playback can't be resumed no prompt is given, playback starting from beginning of selected episode.)

SETUP (Subtitles):

(Subtitle selection only as each episode contains a single audio track.)

RETURN TO MAIN MENU:

(Top Menu function of Blu-ray player remote disabled. Main Menu option must be used.)

EPISODES (Disc 1):

(Playback starts from beginning of selected episode. Play All function disabled.)

EPISODES (Disc 2):

(Playback starts from beginning of selected episode. Play All function disabled.)

EPISODES (Disc 3):

EPISODES (Disc 4):

SETUP (Subtitles):

Last edited by Lowpro; 27th January 2023 at 19:48.
Old 10th February 2023, 00:28   #55  |  Link
Lowpro

NCIS: The Twentieth Season (2022)

I authored the first 12 episodes of "NCIS: Season 20" to Blu-ray the other day. In this case I went with 6 episodes per disc. To spice things up I decided to try my hand at replicating a common Blu-ray menu layout used by Studio Distribution Services. Turned out exceptionally well. Screenshots of the Top Menu and Popup Menu for Disc 1 provided below. Thought some might enjoy checking them out.

(When playback can be resumed. If playback can't be resumed no prompt is given, playback starting from beginning of first episode on disc.)

(Navigating right while on "Episodes" page toggles between small and large thumbnails. Large thumbnails pictured above. Small thumbnails displayed on first playback.)

(When playback can be resumed. If playback can't be resumed no prompt is given, playback starting from beginning of selected episode.)

(Navigating right while on "Episodes" page toggles between small and large thumbnails. Large thumbnails pictured above. Small thumbnails displayed on first playback.)

Last edited by Lowpro; 18th May 2023 at 15:02.
Old 16th February 2023, 23:03   #56  |  Link
Lowpro

Bones: The Complete Tenth Season (2014)

I decided to knock out the rest of the Blu-ray menus this week for the TV series, "Bones". Just have Seasons 11 and 12 left to do. Thought I'd share the end result for Season 10. Eye candy provided below.

Top Menu:

Popup Menu:

And just for fun I added a hidden "Play All" option in addition to "Resume" functionality. The "Play All" option is accessed by navigating "Right" at any time. Pressing "OK" when selected toggles the option "On/Off". Navigating "Left" takes you back to your previous selection. And no, this isn't the traditional "Play All" option. It simply determines what happens when a given episode finishes playing. If the "Play All" option is "On" the next episode immediately plays, otherwise you're taken back to the Top Menu instead.

Top Menu:

Popup Menu:

Last but not least, the "Resume" functionality. Let's say I'm watching "Episode 1". During playback of "Episode 1" I return to the Main Menu via the Top Menu function of my Blu-ray player remote. If I select "Episode 1" at that point the below prompt is given providing for playing "Episode 1" from the beginning or resuming "Episode 1" where I had left off. The "Resume Playback" option is selected by default in case.

If I select one of the other episodes instead a similar prompt is given, the "Begin Playback" option being selected by default. In the below example I'm able to resume playback of "Episode 1", but have selected "Episode 2". The prompt in this case provides for playing "Episode 2" from the beginning or resuming playback of "Episode 1".

Also, the hidden "Play All" option can be accessed from the above prompts as well. Navigating "Right" at any time provides for accessing the option. Navigating "Left" from there takes you back to your previous selection. Are we having fun yet?

Last edited by Lowpro; 20th February 2023 at 13:30.
Old 18th March 2023, 22:57   #57  |  Link
Lowpro

Knight Rider: 40th Anniversary Edition

I imported this Blu-ray release from Germany a few weeks ago. Just for fun I decided to re-author the Blu-ray's creating a "Region A" version of the release where "English" takes precedent over "German" throughout. I just finished completing my work on Season 1. Thought I'd share the end result. Enjoy checking it out!

So on first playback the "English" audio is enabled by default now, all "German" text replaced with "English" text throughout the menus. This includes the video that plays in the background as I wanted the static portions of the video on the left side to mirror the changes I had made. Updating the video used for the Top Menu was easier than one might think. In Photoshop I had already created an image that represented what I wanted the static portions of the video to look like. As such, I just made sure no layers were visible that represented the "Selected" or "Activated" states of the various menu buttons, then saving the image (1920x1080) as a transparent PNG. See below.

From there I re-encoded the video overlaying the above PNG in the process. This is what was done when creating the original video. I used FFmpeg in this case and was careful to ensure the quality of the original video and transparent PNG were retained in the process. The end result looks fantastic. And speaking of end results, Top Menu pictured below in addition to a pic of the menu displayed when initiating playback of an episode that includes audio commentary.

(Top Menu pics for Disc 2, Disc 3, Disc 4 and Disc 5.)

The "Audio Commentary" prompt shown above uses its own title and playlist. To spice things up I included it within the Top Menu instead positioning it within the center of the display depicted to the right. The portion of the video appearing within the display was made to look darker calling more attention to the prompt as a result.

(Click on the preview image above to view the fill size image.)

The Popup Menu turned out great as well. It was a bit more challenging than the Top Menu actually. Well, the transparency. It took some real finesse to get the transparency nice and smooth across the top from left to right there as I wasn't working with the original image. Turned out better than I thought it would so.

(Popup Menu pics for Disc 2, Disc 3, Disc 4 and Disc 5.)

Just like the Top Menu, the "Audio Commentary" prompt for the Popup Menu was included within the Popup Menu rather than using a separate title and playlist. To increase the fun factor I'm having the main part of the Popup Menu slide down out of view, the "Audio Commentary" prompt then being displayed. I also give you the option of backing out of the prompt if you change your mind. This is done by navigating down from any of the subtitle options. When backing out the prompt disappears taking you back where you had come from, the main part of the Popup Menu sliding back up into view.

Additional enhancements...

1. Resume functionality added.
The original discs do not provide for resuming playback. Well, at least for Season 1. I haven't checked the other discs yet. Naturally I couldn't let that stand so proper "Resume" functionality has been added throughout covering all usage scenarios. The image below shows what the prompt looks like, the episode in question being called out to the left of the prompt.

The above prompt is displayed when playback of the selected episode can be resumed. This includes when invoking the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option. Choosing "No" results in the selected episode playing from the beginning. In the case of the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option the first episode on the disc would play from the beginning. If the episode in question includes audio commentary the "Audio Commentary" prompt immediately follows the "Resume" prompt. Navigating down from the bottom most selections of either prompt provides for backing out if you decide you don't want to play the selected episode.

But wait, there's more! The "Resume" prompt is used with the Popup Menu as well. The prompt is part of the Popup Menu just as is the case with the "Commentary Prompt", no separate title and playlist needed. The prompt provides for a few things from the Popup Menu. It's integrated with both the "Audio Commentary" prompt and "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option.

The "Resume" prompt is displayed anytime an "Episode" button is "Activated", the episode in question including audio commentary. This provides for accessing the "Audio Commentary" prompt and having playback continue or start from the beginning once making your selections.

The "Resume" prompt also provides for enabling the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option without having to restart playback from the first of the episodes. "Activating" the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button always results in the "Resume" prompt being displayed. Choosing "Yes" enables the option continuing playback of the current episode. Choosing "No" enables the option, the first of the episodes playing from the beginning.

And one last usage scenario, disabling the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option. This is done by "Activating" the "Episode" button for the current episode while the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option is enabled. When doing so the "Resume" prompt is displayed. Choosing "Yes" disables the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option, the current episode continuing to play. Choosing "No" disables the option, playback of the current episode starting over from the beginning.

2. Enhanced Top Menu behavior and navigation.
• Navigating up from the first "Episode" button wraps around to the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button and vice versa.
• Navigating left from any of the "Episode" buttons takes you to the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button. Navigating left from the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button takes you to the "Episode" buttons, the button for the current episode being "Selected".
• Navigating right from any of the "Episode" buttons or "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button takes you to the "Audio" buttons, the button for the last primary audio track enabled being "Selected".
• Navigating up from the first "Audio" button wraps around to the last "Subtitle" button and vice versa.
• Activating an "Audio" button takes you to the "Subtitle" buttons, the button for the last primary subtitle track enabled being "Selected". If primary subtitles had been disabled the "Off" subtitle button is "Selected" instead.
• Activating a "Subtitle" button takes you to the "Episode" buttons, the button for the current episode being "Selected".
• Navigating left from any of the "Audio/Subtitle" buttons takes you to the "Episode" buttons, the button for the current episode being "Selected".
• Navigating right from any of the "Audio" buttons results in the same navigation that takes place when "Activating" one of the "Audio" buttons.
• Navigating right from any of the "Subtitle" buttons results in the same navigation that takes place when navigating right from one of the "Episode" buttons or "Auto Cruise (Play All)" button.
• When activating an "Episode" button, if playback can be resumed the "Resume" prompt is displayed, the "Selected/Activated" state of the "Episode" button still being displayed.
• When activating the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button, if playback can be resumed the "Resume" prompt is displayed, the "Selected/Activated" state of the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button still being displayed, the episode in question lighting up on the screen above the "Auto Cruise (Play All)" button. The yellow portion of the "Episode" button continues to show its "Normal" state. If choosing "No" to the "Resume" prompt, the first of the episodes is played. If the first of the episodes includes audio commentary the audio commentary prompt is displayed, the episode in question lighting up on the screen above the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button. The yellow portion of the "Episode" button continues to show its "Normal" state.
• Navigating down from the bottom most selections of the "Audio Commentary" and "Resume" prompts provides for backing out in case you changed your mind. None of your selections prior to backing out are applied.

3. Enhanced Popup Menu behavior and navigation.
• When the menu is initially displayed the button of the current episode is "Selected". If the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option is enabled its button is "Selected" instead.
• Navigating down from any of the "Episode" buttons takes you to the "Main Menu" button. If the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option is enabled its button is "Selected" instead.
• Navigating right from the "Main Menu" button wraps around to the first "Audio" button and vice versa.
• Navigating down from any of the "Audio" buttons or "Auto Cruise" (Play All) button takes you to the "Subtitle" buttons, the button for the last primary subtitle track enabled being "Selected". If primary subtitles had been disabled the "Off" subtitle button is "Selected" instead.
• Navigating down from any of the "Subtitle" buttons or "Main Menu" button takes you to the "Audio" buttons, the button for the last primary audio track enabled being "Selected".
• The sound clips played from the Top Menu for "Audio" and "Subtitle" selection are played from the Popup Menu as well.
• When activating an "Episode" button the Popup Menu slides down out of view, a prompt then being displayed if applicable prior to the selected episode playing. When playback begins the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option is disabled.
• If an "Episode" button is "Activated" for an episode not playing and the episode includes a commentary track the audio commentary prompt is displayed, playback starting from the beginning of the episode once a subtitle selection is made. Navigating down from the bottom most selections provides for backing out if you've changed your mind.
• If the "Episode" button is "Activated" for the current episode and the episode includes audio commentary, the "Resume" prompt is displayed. Choosing "Yes" displays the audio commentary prompt, the Popup Menu being turned off when a subtitle selection is made. Choosing "No" displays the audio commentary prompt as well, playback starting over from the beginning once a subtitle selection is made. Navigating down from the bottom most selections of either prompt provides for backing out if you've changed your mind. In this case any "Audio" selection made is retained as the "Audio" selection is executed in real-time.

4. Audio, Subtitles and the Audio Commentary prompt.
Audio Commentary "On/Off" options apply to audio selection only. Those options and the subtitle options are treated as an extension of the primary audio/subtitle options, but at the same time treated separately. This provides for retaining your primary audio/subtitle selections while at the same time having the ability to mix and match as if audio/subtitle selection for audio commentary was available right along side the primary audio/subtitle options. One could for instance listen to the audio commentary while having one of the primary subtitle tracks turned on. One could also listen to one of the primary audio tracks while having one of the commentary subtitle tracks turned on. Whatever combination one desires is possible.

So here's how it works in practice. When navigating between the "Audio" and "Subtitle" commentary options the current "Audio" and "Subtitle" tracks are "Selected" by default. So if the current "Audio" playing is one of the primary audio tracks the "Off" button will be "Selected" by default, otherwise the "On" button is "Selected". Navigating down to the commentary subtitle options follows the same rule. If the current "Subtitle" playing is one of the primary subtitles or if subtitles are disabled the "Off" button is "Selected" by default, otherwise the particular commentary subtitle button is "Selected".

If the commentary audio track is playing and the "Off" button is activated the last primary audio track in use is played. If the "English" or "Deutsch" buttons are activated, the given commentary subtitle is played. If the "Subtitles\Off" button is activated the last primary subtitle in use is played. If primary subtitles were disabled that remains to be the case. If audio and/or subtitle commentary is playing and an episode is selected that doesn't include audio commentary, in that case the last primary audio/subtitle selections are played. This applies when going from episode to episode via the "Auto Cruise" (Play All) option as well.

Last edited by Lowpro; 31st March 2023 at 20:53.
Old 28th March 2023, 22:11   #58  |  Link
Lowpro

Titan A.E. (2000)

Another day, another title authored to Blu-ray which has yet to see an official Blu-ray release. I own the "Titan A.E.: Special Edition" DVD release. Just couldn't bring myself to give the DVD another spin, so I decided to roll my own while (not so) patiently awaiting a Blu-ray release. Thought I'd share the end result with everyone. Enjoy checking it out!

I "purchased" the AmazonPrime offering (1080p/23.976 | 23.9 Mbps | 2.35:1 | DD+ 2.0 224Kbps) in this case carrying over the PlayListMarks (Chapters) and Audio (DTS 5.1, DD 5.1, DD 2.0 Director's Commentary) from the DVD. I included English and English SDH subtitles as well.

(A delay of -1000ms was required for each of the DVD audio tracks carried over, i.e. so that the audio was in sync with the video.)

And below are some screenshots of the Blu-ray menu I created for this, proper "Resume" functionality provided throughout, the chapter names and thumbnails for the "SCENES" menu option mirroring what was done for the DVD.

(Only the Top Menu is shown below. The Popup Menu is identical to the Top Menu minus the static menu background.)

(When activating the "PLAY" button the "Audio Commentary" prompt is displayed after which the "Resume" prompt is displayed if playback can be resumed.)

(The "Audio Commentary" prompt is always displayed when beginning or resuming playback. Activating the "ENABLE COMMENTARY" button sets the stream to the last audio track (DD 2.0 Director's Commentary) if/when the movie is played. Activating the "CANCEL" button or navigating "LEFT" provides for backing out to the first level of the menu in the event you changed your mind, the "PLAY" button being "Selected". If the "DISABLE COMMENTARY" button had been activated, the movie then playing from either prompt, in this case the stream is set to play the last primary audio track in use, i.e. DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 or DD+ 2.0.)

(When playback can be resumed. Activating the "BEGIN PLAYBACK" button starts playback from the beginning of Chapter 1. Activating the "RESUME PLAYBACK" button resumes playback from where you left off. Activating the "CANCEL" button or navigating "LEFT" provides for backing out to the first level of the menu in the event you changed your mind, the "PLAY" button being "Selected".)

(Activating the "SCENES" button takes you to the menu pages for chapter selection. If playback can be resumed the chapter in question is "Selected" by default. If playback can't be resumed the first chapter is "Selected" by default. Navigating "UP" from "Chapter 1" wraps around to "Chapter 20" and vice versa. Navigating "RIGHT" takes you to the next page. Navigating "LEFT" provides for selecting a page directly or returning to the first level of the menu, the "SCENES" button being "Selected".)

(Navigating "LEFT" from any of the chapter buttons provides for selecting a page directly or returning to the first level of the menu, the "SCENES" button being "Selected". The "RETURN" button is "Selected" by default in this case, i.e. "Return to Main Menu". Activating the "RETURN" button or navigating "DOWN" at anytime takes you to the first level of the menu, the "SCENES" button being "Selected". Navigating "RIGHT" from the "RETURN" button wraps around to the "Page 1 (1-4)" button and vice versa. Activating the "Page 1 (1-4)" button for example takes you back to the right pane, the first chapter of "Page 1 (1-4)" being "Selected". If playback can be resumed the chapter in question is "Selected" instead. If the chapter in question resides on a different page the first chapter of "Page 1 (1-4) is "Selected".)

(When activating the "1. Prologue" chapter button for example, when doing so the "Audio Commentary" prompt is displayed followed by the "Resume" prompt if playback can be resumed. Activating the "CANCEL" button or navigating "LEFT" from either prompt provides for backing out if you changed your mind. In this case you'd be taken back to "Page 1 (1-4)", the "1. Prologue" chapter button being "Selected" once again.)

(When playback can be resumed. Activating the "BEGIN PLAYBACK" button starts playback from the beginning of the selected chapter. Activating the "RESUME PLAYBACK" button resumes playback from where you left off. Activating the "CANCEL" button or navigating "LEFT" provides for backing out if you changed your mind. Again, in this example you'd be taken back to "Page 1 (1-4)", the "1. Prologue" chapter button being "Selected".)

(Activating the "SETUP" button takes you to the menu page for "Audio" and "Subtitle" selection. The last audio and subtitle streams played are enabled by default, i.e. shown in white. If subtitles are disabled the "NONE" subtitle button is shown in white instead. If the movie has yet to be played the first audio track is enabled by default, subtitles disabled. Navigating "UP" from the top-most item wraps around to the bottom-most item and vice versa. When activating an "Audio" or "Subtitle" button the selection in question is then what's shown in white. That selection is then used when going to play the movie. Navigating "RIGHT" toggles you back and forth between the current "Audio" and "Subtitle" selections. Navigating "LEFT" takes you to the first level of the menu, the "SETUP" button being "Selected".)

Last edited by Lowpro; 29th March 2023 at 04:01.
Old 30th March 2023, 05:23   #59  |  Link
Lowpro

Titan A.E. (2000)

Here's some additional eye candy of the "Titan A.E." Blu-ray I created the other day, screenshots of the Popup Menu, the "SCENES" menu option. Enjoy checking them out. :-P

Old 16th May 2023, 16:16   #60  |  Link
Lowpro

Bosch: The Complete Series (2015-2022)

I just finished authoring the TV series, "Bosch" to Blu-ray. Decided to just stick with basic "Quick-Play" menus this time. Quite pleased with how the menu backgrounds turned out. Thought I'd share some pics.

Bosch: Season One

Bosch: Season Two

Bosch: Season Three

Bosch: Season Four

Bosch: Season Five

Bosch: Season Six

Bosch: Season Seven

Bosch: Legacy