Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Old 29th August 2022, 17:19   #361  |  Link
GodzilaAvenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Quite some file you conjured up, GA
FYI Dolby Vision playback is triggered on my player, but the picture is buggered up. The colors show purple/green. Same like when you try to playback "genuine" P5 on a pc. Like it can't deal with the specific colorspace. Even if I disable DV playback and force my player to HDR output, purple/green remains.

I tried to strip RPU. When dropping the file on DDVT_REMOVER I get "Profile 5 cannot be removed!"
It was the shortest I had on hand

Interesting, so it seems that my TV completely ignores the RPU and just plays back the BL, but your player recognizes the RPU and tries to interpret the BT.2020 colorspace as Profile 5, which results in those weird colors. Thanks for checking it out!
GodzilaAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2022, 23:43   #362  |  Link
AgentXXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by -QfG- View Post
If you will donate this work, make a donation to quietvoid. Without him this scripts here never exists.
I'd be more than happy to donate to both of you. Just haven't seen a donation link anywhere.

And again, thank you for the L6 Demuxer script. Works as expected, and I am using the Match L6 option in Injector with successful hybrids as a result.
AgentXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2022, 00:49   #363  |  Link
speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoD View Post
I'm not sure of the process surrounding 8.4 but here is a good list put together about playback device compatibility...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=427220017
maybe 8.4 is working for people more recently if but this list is updated pretty often.
Quote:
The RPU is not Profile 8.1,8.2 or 8.4 the RPU is every times Profile 8. If you mux the RPU now in:

HDR Stream you have Profile 8.1
SDR Stream you have Profile 8.2
HLG Stream you have Profile 8.4

So you need an HLG Base layer and mux the Profile 8 RPU in it. I think this works.

Profile 5 is another thing, you have the IPT (IPTPQc2) colorspace not the BT.2020 there.
Therefore, no fallback to HDR with Profile 5, because no BT.2020 colorspace are used.
Does that mean I would need to use something like wswartzendruber/hlg-tools to convert to convert the HDR10 base stream to an HLG base stream?
Would I then convert the Profile 7 8.1 RPU to 8.4?
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2022, 08:52   #364  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

Yes, i think this works, you must simply test this. Simply mux the P8 RPU frum the 8.1 video int the HLG Stream.
-QfG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2022, 11:49   #365  |  Link
quietvoid

There's no point in attempting to convert to profile 8.4 as Apple devices don't support the dynamic metadata.
The only way seems to be tricking the device into thinking the file is profile 5, there's some script on MakeMKV for that.
Old 1st September 2022, 06:26   #366  |  Link
speedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
There's no point in attempting to convert to profile 8.4 as Apple devices don't support the dynamic metadata.
The only way seems to be tricking the device into thinking the file is profile 5, there's some script on MakeMKV for that.
Does that work with MKV files too?
Link?
Old 1st September 2022, 10:26   #367  |  Link
von Suppé

Unless I'm mistaken, quietvoid is refering to the scripts created by RESET_9999. You'll find the link "DoVi Scripts" in his signature.

Major Dolby Vision thread at MakeMKV: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/view...602&start=7290
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2022, 12:50   #368  |  Link
quietvoid

A more in-depth guide also exists: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/app...ision.3252865/
I think it requires MP4 files as final video.
Old 1st September 2022, 13:47   #369  |  Link
alexflin

It's possible to extract the DoVi layer from a mkv to burn a bluray? I don't see the option in the script
alexflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2022, 10:44   #370  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexflin View Post
It's possible to extract the DoVi layer from a mkv to burn a bluray? I don't see the option in the script
Yes it is. But only if the MKV includes a profile 7 single layer HEVC file.

if you have a "REMUX" of an UHD, simply use the Demuxer and check the Options for Saving BL and EL (you can turn off RPU extracting, not needed for this operation). now you can Build a UHD with this, for example with TS-Muxer.

Quote:
Thanks for this info quietvoid

I can add Apple DoVi Injection in future Updates.

Last edited by -QfG-; 2nd September 2022 at 11:16.
Old 2nd September 2022, 11:34   #371  |  Link
alexflin

Quote:
Yes it is. But only if the MKV includes a profile 7 single layer HEVC file.

if you have a "REMUX" of an UHD, simply use the Demuxer and check the Options for Saving BL and EL (you can turn off RPU extracting, not needed for this operation). now you can Build a UHD with this, for example with TS-Muxer.

Thanks for this info quietvoid

Ok, thanks for the answer, I thought that it was possible to build a Bluray from a profile 8 or 5 also, but now I see that is not possible.
alexflin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2022, 19:02   #372  |  Link
speedy

Quote:
That would be awesome!
Could you do this for both MKV and MP4 containers so we can test both and use MKV in the future if that ends up working?
Thank you!
Old 4th September 2022, 21:02   #373  |  Link
speedy

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, quietvoid is refering to the scripts created by RESET_9999. You'll find the link "DoVi Scripts" in his signature.

Major Dolby Vision thread at MakeMKV: https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/view...602&start=7290
Quote:
A more in-depth guide also exists: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/app...ision.3252865/
I think it requires MP4 files as final video.
I just read through those posts and RESET_9999's scripts but I still don't understand.

Could someone clarify how I'd get started converting either a Profile 7 or Profile 8.1 file to this fake Profile 5?

Also, am I correct in understanding that these Profile 5 files are essentially using Rec2020 colorspace and the same RPU metadata as a Profile 8.1 file?

Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 17:45   #374  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Could someone clarify how I'd get started converting either a Profile 7 or Profile 8.1 file to this fake Profile 5?
Why don't you just give it a go? I'm not familiar with Apple devices, but seeing the script, I suggest trying to start with 7 (MP4_MUXER Workflows). Followed by 4 (Apple iOS compatible MP4).
From there choose further, depending on what kind of source-file, and output wishes.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2022, 11:21   #375  |  Link
Balling

https://forum.makemkv.com/forum/view...122442#p122442
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ahh4FiB9hIuT-EK3...b3amj?e=RKiQG4

How was this created? Was it some real Dolby Vision HLG show and someone just delayed RPU to check the applying of it?

Does BBC already Dopby vision hlg on satellites?

Last edited by Balling; 7th September 2022 at 11:23.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2022, 22:43   #376  |  Link
panni

Hey, I'm trying to inject an RPU into a HDR file which has a VBR video stream. After injecting, the resulting MKV file has the video stream as CBR and the audio and video is super async.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks!
panni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2022, 23:39   #377  |  Link
GodzilaAvenger

Is there a way to add delay (positive or negative) to HDR10+ metadata, similar to what can be done for DV?
GodzilaAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2022, 02:43   #378  |  Link
Balling

Quote:
Originally Posted by panni View Post
Hey, I'm trying to inject an RPU into a HDR file which has a VBR video stream. After injecting, the resulting MKV file has the video stream as CBR and the audio and video is super async.

VBR? Maybe you mean VFR? It does not matter that it is VFR, RPU is frame numbers based.
Balling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2022, 03:33   #379  |  Link
panni

Yeah, VFR. Results in a CBR file with desync A/V.
panni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2022, 12:19   #380  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by panni View Post

Check the FPS on the MKV File. It's recommended to use the "Mux in Container" function. I think mediainfo shows you 25 FPS instead of 23,976.

Apple:

Many of my P8 Mixes tested succesfully with an Apple TV 4K and Infuse Player.

Last edited by -QfG-; 8th September 2022 at 12:25.