Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th October 2022, 23:25   #401  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius Snow View Post
I wonder how a profile 7 can be generated if the color grading softwares themselves deliver 8.X profiles. There might exist a 8.X to 7 converter somewhere, no? Maybe in DEE which costs $500 per year?
The encoded HEVC files you get from software like Resolve is not meant to be used as a deliverable.
Normally you would export a Dolby Vision master with XML metadata.

DEE seems to have a script allowing to encode both bitstreams from the master: https://professionalsupport.dolby.co...language=en_US

Though obviously it's better if you contact Dolby about it, you would have to for DEE anyways.
This is another guide from their documentation: https://professionalsupport.dolby.co...language=en_US
Old 5th October 2022, 00:59   #402  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

Right, DEE can make any current flavor of DoVi, HDR10, and SDR from a DoVi master (Typically J2K or ProRes) - provided you're cool with having it do tone mapping in some of those cases e.g. SDR
Old 5th October 2022, 11:33   #403  |  Link
Lucius Snow

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm trying to encode to HEVC sample using this command line:

Quote:
ffmpeg.exe -probesize 100MB -i "E:\test.mov" -an -r 25 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le -f yuv4mpegpipe -strict -1 - | "x265.exe" --y4m - --dither --preset medium --level 6.1 --preset veryslow --no-high-tier --profile main10 --bitrate 80000 --vbv-maxrate 100000 --vbv-bufsize 60000 --deblock -1:-1 --hdr-opt --hrd --aud --min-luma 64 --max-luma 940 --range limited --videoformat component --colorprim bt2020 --transfer smpte2084 --colormatrix bt2020nc --dolby-vision-profile 8.1 --dolby-vision-rpu E:\test.bin --master-display "G(8500,39850)B(6550,2300)R(35400,14600)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,500)" --max-cll "3279,223" --overscan show --no-open-gop --min-keyint 1 --keyint 25 --repeat-headers --rd 3 -o "E:\test.hevc"
The RPU was generated from the XML (Profile 8.1) coming from DaVinci by this command :

Quote:
dovi_tool generate --xml E:\test.xml -o E:\test.bi
At the end of the encoding, I get several errors "Dolby Vision RPU not found for POC XXXX". What does it mean?

EDIT: A new test from another video sample worked without any error. The guilty was probably my source.

Last edited by Lucius Snow; 5th October 2022 at 15:11.
Lucius Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2022, 15:32   #404  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius Snow View Post
I get several errors "Dolby Vision RPU not found for POC XXXX". What does it mean?
It means the video and the metadata are not the same frame count, so probably that the video being encoded has less frames.
Old 5th October 2022, 17:36   #405  |  Link
GodzilaAvenger

Talking about Profile 7, I've always converted the RPU of my BluRay re-encods to Profile 8.1 and then added them to the stream. Would it work (i.e. trigger DV on the player) if I just inject the original Profile 7? Does it matter if the Profile 7 is MEL or FEL?
GodzilaAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2022, 19:07   #406  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzilaAvenger View Post
Talking about Profile 7, I've always converted the RPU of my BluRay re-encods to Profile 8.1 and then added them to the stream. Would it work (i.e. trigger DV on the player) if I just inject the original Profile 7? Does it matter if the Profile 7 is MEL or FEL?
It would probably trigger Dolby Vision on your display but the EL will probably not be aligned.
There's no point in keeping the original MEL, it's equivalent to profile 8.

For FEL, the processing probably wouldn't work correctly on a reencoded base layer and it might lead to incorrect rendered image.
The only correct method is to process the FEL before reencoding (see https://github.com/erazortt/DoViBaker), and use a profile 8 RPU with the mapping metadata removed.
Old 5th October 2022, 23:31   #407  |  Link
GodzilaAvenger

Thanks!

DoViBaker is interesting, from what I could gather it seems to process the BL and FEL to get the original 12-bit stream, then use the RPU to tonemap it back down to a 10-bit stream. Is that correct?
GodzilaAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2022, 23:40   #408  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodzilaAvenger View Post
Thanks!

DoViBaker is interesting, from what I could gather it seems to process the BL and FEL to get the original 12-bit stream, then use the RPU to tonemap it back down to a 10-bit stream. Is that correct?
I've never used it but it should output 16 bit, which you can convert back to 10 bit and encode.
I don't think it does anything else with the RPU.
Old 7th October 2022, 06:20   #409  |  Link
rco133

Hi.

Got a question regarding dovi_tool.

dovi_tool.exe -c -m 2 mux -b encoded_bl.h265 -d -e demuxed_el -o output_with_dv.265

Should that not give the same output file as this:

dovi_tool.exe -m 2 -c extract-rpu demuxed_el
dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu --rpu-in RPU.bin --input encoded_bl.h265

Should the two command lines not do the same thing?

Except the first one doesn't extract the RPU file.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

When I do a binary compare of the two files, they are not identical at all.

Thanks in advance.

rco133
rco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2022, 13:41   #410  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rco133 View Post
Hi.
Should the two command lines not do the same thing?
Except the first one doesn't extract the RPU file.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

When I do a binary compare of the two files, they are not identical at all.
Totally normal, the RPU is smaller than the EL.
While the EL also contains RPU, it's a regular HEVC bitstream otherwise.
Old 7th October 2022, 15:30   #411  |  Link
rco133

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietvoid View Post
Totally normal, the RPU is smaller than the EL.
While the EL also contains RPU, it's a regular HEVC bitstream otherwise.
Ok.

The EL is a lot bigger than the RPU. But shouldn't the first command ignore the EL video, and just mux in the RPU into the bl since I am using the -d switch?

The file size of the two resulting files are exactly the same down to the byte. But when I do a "fc /B file1 file2" it lists a ton of differences between the two files.

I thought that using -d in the mux command line, would do the same as extracting the RPU from the EL and injecting it into the bl.

So I guess my quation really is, why does using the -d switch in the mux command, not give the same result as extracting the RPU and injecting the RPU into the bl?

In both cases I am using -m 2 to convert to Profile 8.

rco133
Old 7th October 2022, 15:43   #412  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
So I guess my quation really is, why does using the -d switch in the mux command, not give the same result as extracting the RPU and injecting the RPU into the bl?
mux with --discard works, since you said the files are the exact same size.
The difference is that extracting the RPU reorders according to the source video file, while muxing the EL directly doesn't reorder anything.

Now it should only make a difference if the BL you reinject into is different from the source.
In your first post you said that the RPU is injected into a reencoded video, so everything seems to work as expected.

When you mux the original EL, the RPU is going to be out of order with the reencoded video.
Old 7th October 2022, 17:04   #413  |  Link
rco133

Quote:
mux with --discard works, since you said the files are the exact same size.
The difference is that extracting the RPU reorders according to the source video file, while muxing the EL directly doesn't reorder anything.

Now it should only make a difference if the BL you reinject into is different from the source.
In your first post you said that the RPU is injected into a reencoded video, so everything seems to work as expected.

When you mux the original EL, the RPU is going to be out of order with the reencoded video.
Yes, I am working with an encoded BL in both cases, and the EL has just been demuxed using dgdemux.

Both output files say they contain:

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

So i guess even though they are not binary identical, they both should play back fine?

The only difference between the two output files is that one is made with the mux -d command line, and the other file is made by extracting the RPU manually and then injection it manually. In both cases the BL (input file) is the same encoded BL.

Just want to be sure that I am not messing something up, by using the mux -d line, since that saves me from actually extracting the RPU.

rco133
Old 7th October 2022, 22:51   #414  |  Link
quietvoid

Quote:
The only difference between the two output files is that one is made with the mux -d command line, and the other file is made by extracting the RPU manually and then injection it manually. In both cases the BL (input file) is the same encoded BL.

Just want to be sure that I am not messing something up, by using the mux -d line, since that saves me from actually extracting the RPU.
You are messing something up by using the original EL with mux.
The metadata will most definitely be in the wrong order, so playback will show noticeable brightness changes.

You should be extracting the RPU and encoding with x265/ffmpeg directly with --dolby-vision-rpu, that way you don't need to inject.
Old 8th October 2022, 07:00   #415  |  Link
rco133

Quote:
You are messing something up by using the original EL with mux.
The metadata will most definitely be in the wrong order, so playback will show noticeable brightness changes.

You should be extracting the RPU and encoding with x265/ffmpeg directly with --dolby-vision-rpu, that way you don't need to inject.
Ok.

I don't understand that, and that is why I am asking, and really appreciate your expertise on this matter.

I thought that when using the RPU only, I could mux or inject it into the original BL or the encoded BL without problems.

I convert the RPU from Profile 7 to Profile 8 and then use just the RPU. I am not using the rest of the EL. Just the RPU.

That way I thought that all would be good. But maybe that is not the case?

rco133
Old 8th October 2022, 08:12   #416  |  Link
rco133

Quote:
Ok.

I don't understand that, and that is why I am asking, and really appreciate your expertise on this matter.

I thought that when using the RPU only, I could mux or inject it into the original BL or the encoded BL without problems.

I convert the RPU from Profile 7 to Profile 8 and then use just the RPU. I am not using the rest of the EL. Just the RPU.

That way I thought that all would be good. But maybe that is not the case?

rco133

What if I do the following:

dovi_tool.exe -m 2 -c extract-rpu -i demuxed_EL.h265 -o RPU.bin

After this I should have a profile 8 RPU with no crop.

dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i x265_encoded_BL.h265 -r RPU.bin -o output_wit_dv.h265

Will that work, or will there still be issues if I do that?

rco133
Old 8th October 2022, 09:33   #417  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

-v0.49
*INJECTOR-Support for HDR10+ JSON Data delaying.
*Updated hdr10plus_tool to v1.4.0.
*Updated dovi_tool to v1.5.7.
-QfG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2022, 08:09   #418  |  Link
von Suppé

Thanks for the update, -QfG-.
Has an old bug sneaked in? The injector doesn't work when there is spaces in the path name
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2022, 13:34   #419  |  Link
-QfG-
QfG Group Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Suppé View Post
Thanks for the update, -QfG-.
Has an old bug sneaked in? The injector doesn't work when there is spaces in the path name
Really?

No changes in functions lines, only reworked menu and adding the new feature in the hdr10+ area.
Maybe you have () in your filenames? I tested succesfully with a spaced foldername.

Last edited by -QfG-; 9th October 2022 at 13:50.
-QfG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2022, 14:07   #420  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by -QfG- View Post
Maybe you have () in your filenames?
Yes, indeed that was the culprit. Thank you.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote