Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VirtualDub, VDubMod & AviDemux

Old 13th August 2021, 19:47   #1  |  Link
Half-Light Agent

VirtualDub2 multipart VOB issue

I'm trying to rip a box set of a TV series, if you're interested you can find the discussion on a good setup for it in the General Discussion folder.

As to the source material, season 1 disk 1 is a 7,29 GB DVD. The episodes seem to be split in three files: VTS_0x_0.VOB, VTS_0x_1.VOB, VTS_0x_2.VOB. The first is a 154 KB file, the second 1.048.404 KB and the third another file up to 1.039.142 KB.

When I Open video file... VTS_02_2.VOB, File information... shows that the file runs for 29m but for some reason VD2 only displays 27 frames of VTS_02_2.VOB.

It doesn't seem to have an issue with the other files. Are there any workarounds to read all the frames correctly?
Half-Light Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2021, 20:14   #2  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

As stated in your other topic, I suggest you use an application called MakeMKV to 'rip' your DVD's into .mkv contained files...
Old 13th August 2021, 20:42   #3  |  Link
Half-Light Agent

Yeah, I used MKVToolNix and side-stepped the issue. Still puzzled about what the problem is.
Half-Light Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2021, 22:46   #4  |  Link
lansing

Just imagine the storing process as compressing a folder of 5 GB videos into multiple 2 GB of zip files, as output you'll get multiple zip files .001, .002, .003, where the first two files are 2 GB and the last one being 1 GB. The zipping process doesn't care about the mapping of the video files. When you try to extract certain episode out of the zip, you'll need to read the mapping data from the zip first, you can't just extract .002.

In DVD, the IFO file holds the mapping data. You'll need to read the IFO file first in order to extract the episodes correctly. You cannot copy and paste the VOB straight out from the DVD, which is probably what you're doing.

For DVD extracting solution, the good old DVD Decrypter will get the job done. It can read IFO file and in the setting, set the split option to "split by chapter" and you should be good to go.
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote