Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th April 2017, 00:53   #43261  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
Well it's like the Titan X, so about 30% faster than your 1080. Yes that translates to render times in madVR too when you use intensive stuff like NNEDI, NGU very high etc. Is 30% enough of an improvement for you considering the price? That's the question.
My render times with NGU Sharp very high are 26-28-34ms (depending on the film). doing upscaling from 2k to 4k. I do not know what I would gain by lowering the times.
Old 9th April 2017, 01:10   #43262  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oguignant View Post
My render times with NGU Sharp very high are 26-28-34ms (depending on the film). doing upscaling from 2k to 4k. I do not know what I would gain by lowering the times.
render times depend on the content you are watching. if you want to watch something at 1080p with 60fps, afaik you need render times lower than 16.66ms then to avoid frame drops
Old 9th April 2017, 01:21   #43263  |  Link
Oguignant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
render times depend on the content you are watching. if you want to watch something at 1080p with 60fps, afaik you need render times lower than 16.66ms then to avoid frame drops
Yes, but I always watch movies on 23 or 24hz. So less than 41ms is fine for me. And I never have dropped frames using gnu sharp very high or nnedi128.

Last edited by Oguignant; 9th April 2017 at 01:23.
Oguignant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 01:50   #43264  |  Link
kalston

Then you shouldn't waste money on a 1080 ti
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 17:14   #43265  |  Link
Budtz

Reclock (any version) seems very broken with creators update. Opening files madvr reports clock deviation all over the place. From -2% to +9% completley regardles of reclock settings. Audio and video is stuttering. any1 else have problems?

Last edited by Budtz; 9th April 2017 at 17:40.
Budtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 18:55   #43266  |  Link
Q-the-STORM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budtz View Post
Reclock (any version) seems very broken with creators update. Opening files madvr reports clock deviation all over the place. From -2% to +9% completley regardles of reclock settings. Audio and video is stuttering. any1 else have problems?
I installed the update yesterday.

Just opened a 25fps file and activated slowdown to 23.976fps on a 23.976Hz display (23.97564Hz to be exact).

Clock deviation remains rock solid at -4.09591% reporting one frame drop every 40 minutes.

Don't see or hear any stuttering, also no drops reported.
Q-the-STORM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 19:30   #43267  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingtong5 View Post
Hi all,

I want to downscale HEVC 4K UHD content to 1080p with madvr, however the ony way to get acceptable frame render times is to set image downscaling to DXVA2. The madvr algoritmes all give me render times above 40 or 50 ms. My GPU is a GTX1070 so I assume it can do better then this.

My display is a JVC X5000 projector which has native 1080P panel resolution but accepts 4K input (e-shift technology).

Any idea on how to troubleshoot/fix this?

Ronald
Go to trade quality/performance options, and check "scale chroma separately if it saves performance" since chroma is already at 1080p resolution. Alternatively, don't use anything harder than bicubic AR for chroma upscaling.

My laptop GPU can handle 4k (well, in film ratio and not a full 16:9 picture)->1080p scaling with SSIM1D if I don't use chroma scaling at all. Your 1070 should have absolutely no issues, even with something like SSIM2D with antibloat.

Last edited by har3inger; 9th April 2017 at 19:32.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2017, 23:42   #43268  |  Link
nuhi

3DLut edge issue

Hi,
can someone please point me in the right direction of solving the attached issue with 3DLut?
The problem is when I use 3DLut generated by Calman and madvr, in madvr, I get these weird white edges.
Turning off the calibration solves it instantly.
Is the TV, madvr, meter (i1 Pro 2) or a Calman setting?

I don't know how to debug the actual 3DLut on anything other than madvr, so I'm asking as I wasted so many hours recalibrating.
At first I thought it's the black level setting (static vs measured), but last time it failed with it set to measured as well.

Thanks.
Attached Images

nuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 09:01   #43269  |  Link
XMonarchY

Quote:
I had the same thing happen to me. I fixed it by using 24Hz instead of 23.970Hz - my TV can do both and each is a separate entry. I just left 1080p24 in madVR as the setting forthe lowest possible refresh rate.
Old 10th April 2017, 12:06   #43270  |  Link
HillieSan

Quote:
Well the thing is that I disagree (perceptually not in theory ;-) ). I find 1080P output looking better then 4K, it make the image a bit noisy and jittery in my opinion. Besides that, every time a file won't play (not that this happens a lot), windows changes video settings back to 1080p each time which is very very annoying.

Anyway, I found a 4k -> 1080p downscaling configuration now that works:
chroma: superxbr 125 + superres 1
image downscaling: SSIM 1D 100%

Quite happy with the result :-)
I love the 4K output with 4K input.
HillieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 13:14   #43271  |  Link
MrKaon

4K HDR on 1080p monitor

Set MPC-HC with madVR and LAV filters according to this guide . (Skiped the Haali part)
Finally I was been able to play 4K HDR on my 1080p monitor without washed up colours.
It will do it for me till I buy 4K HDR TV or monitor.
Thanks
MrKaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 13:52   #43272  |  Link
Magik Mark

Quote:
Same Problem here!
Old 10th April 2017, 16:40   #43273  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
It is hard to find a good image to test chroma upscaling, but with yours, the result are as follow between NNEDI3 and NGU AA (in order of personal preference) :

Nnedi16 < NGU-low < Nnedi32 < NGU-med < Nnedi64 < Nnedi128 < NGU-high < Nnedi256 < NGU-veryhigh

Quality wise, NGU-high and Nnedi256 are very close, but the differences in performance are huge ! So NGU AA wins for this particular case.
I think your personal preference is being kind to NNEDI3. Personally, I would rate NGU clearly better, when looking at the images you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-XP View Post
However, I have found NNEDI3 to be better than NGU AA in a lot of situations, for instance to reduce the chroma bleeding.
Do you have good samples that show difference in chroma bleeding? With differences as clear as the sample I provided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Typo, I meant top. Every time I tried to enter something the scroll bar reset making me need to scroll back down again.
When something in the left side tree view changes, the settings dialog has to "refresh" the left side view, which is a complicated process which can modify the scroll bar position. I'm not sure if that's something which is easy to fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
perhaps a built in replacement for ffdshow raw? Being able to add in Avisynth+/Vapoursynth filters into madVR directly would allow for huge video customization and allow also for proper handling of 10 bit content (ATM I have to disable it for any of this video type to avoid 8 bit output) and hopefully be faster and more stable as a result.
That's something that's planned for a future version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
It's normal when I play an HDR video with Windows10 and KODI or MPC-HC, the madvr show me this info:

matrix BT.2020
primaries BT.2020
HDR 4000 nits, BT.2020 -> DCI-P3

Why DCI-P3 and not BT.2020?
Yes. The "-> DCI-P3" is the metadata information that tells us how the studio monitor was calibrated when the movie was graded. It usually also tells us how large a gamut the movie is really using. Almost all movies today use DCI-P3. It's not a surprise because masters for movie theaters also use DCI-P3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
Did some more tests with NGU AA, I'm really convinced by it. I think it was slightly sharper then NEEDI3 and shows less aliasing also with filmed content.
Deringing + NGU AA + SR1 really seems to be a great choice in general for low-res content. NGU AA (low seems enough) also looks like the best choice for chroma with such sources, hardly has any weak point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psousa View Post
i can use mpc-hc + madvr to see 3D iso files?
Yes. You need a recent LAV Video Filter version, Windows 8.1 or newer (Windows 7 won't work), a GPU which supports frame packed 3D output (most newer GPUs do), and a 3D display which accepts framed packed 3D content via HDMI 1.4+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Humm the more I play around with NGU-Sharp the less I can bear sxbr's artificial look but I can't do without SR(non-AR LL) as I still very much enjoy its effect on motion-blur(in combination with FRC) but bloat becomes quite apparent, apparently 50% AB using non-AR SSIM 2D 100% saves the day but I can only afford this on SD and I'm pretty SOL on 720p........any chance for a bloat-free NGU+SR combo please? ^^
You'd have to ask Shiandow about it. He's the SR algo creator. His latest SSIM-SR algo doesn't bloat any less than the SR version used by madVR, maybe even more so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
Actually, any chance you could allow AB with other downscalers and not just SSIM please?
That's technically not possible. The SSIM AB only applies to the SSIM specific post processing, not to the SSIM downscaling part of the algo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset1982 View Post
Is it possible to you NGU sharp vor Luma and NUG Alias for chroma?
Do you mean chroma upscaling (4:2:0 -> 4:4:4)? Or do you mean the chroma resolution "doubling" that is needed when you double luma with NGU Sharp? In the first case: Yes, of course. In the latter case: Nope, and I don't see a good reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Madshi, I mentioned some weeks ago that I use the zoom control at for 2.55 movies like Ben Hur to take away the black bars on my scope screen. I have to use, if there are big black bars : ...reduce bar size by 25%, this cuts off too much image. I asked if you could give us some smaller steps 10%, 15%, 20%, 25% which you thought was possible. Do you see this happening anytime in the near future?
I don't give out ETAs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Also is there a way for the anamorphic stretch to automatically detect big black bars of scope films and do the "A" 4/3 stretch when it detects a scope film?
Sure, by using profiles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman2791 View Post
I'v been using madvr for a while... i just want to thank madshi for doing a truly incredibly job with this. It would be impossible for me to watch videos on my pc without this renderer. Now, i can't watch movies anywhere else but my pc because of madvr, lav filters, etc.

My heartfelt thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
Maybe you already know it, but the german magazine PC Games Hardware published an article about madVR in its new issue 05/17.
I don't like the article very much. In my opinion it spends too much text to explain some technical details which are not important, like chroma upscaling, and doesn't highlight or describe the strengths of madVR enough. It also doesn't mention NGU at all. But maybe it can still increase the popularity of madVR a bit.
Oh cool, didn't know that, thanks for letting me know! Will have to get that magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinemancave View Post
It seems that the combination Nvidia-card, MadVR and 3D is totally broken, for me at least, at the moment. Both under Win 7 and Win 10. If I do a fresh driver-installation, 2D works fine. As soon as I start enabling 3D, MPC starts crashing. Especially if I enable 3D playback for 2D movies in MadVR config. Under Windows 10, I thereafter cannot play anything, 2D or 3D. Under windows 7, I can go back to playing 2D just fine. I am really at a loss here :S
Windows 7 itself doesn't support frame packed 3D, so I'm not sure what kind of problem you have there. You can't play 3D movies in Windows 7 with madVR.

NVidia drivers are somewhat weird. If you have 3D output activated and then play a 2D movie, the driver actually tries to analyze the video and convert it from 2D to 3D. And it kinda works, but only for a bit and it crashes very often. You should keep 3D disabled with NVidia drivers, except when you want to watch a 3D movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMonarchY View Post
Has anyone with the latest Windows Creator's Update been having dropped and repeated frames issues? I don't know whether its madVR or LAV Filter or ReClock issue, which for some reason uses CINEMA adaptation 24p on 23Hp content...
Quote:
I keep and keep on telling you guys that Windows 8.1 x64 is the best media player OS. Why does nobody listen to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchhd View Post
wish HDR would work. Especially now with creator's update and nvidia supporting it, for the first time I saw the "An HDR Video is playing" on my samsung from my pc. Just wish I could get it to work with madvr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber201 View Post
Hi to all. Finally Windows 10 Creators Update is out and the new nVidia Driver with WDDM 2.2 are out.
The new driver are 381.65.
But with Kodi + madvr settings for passthrough the HDR metadata don't work.
My tv Samsung KS8000 don't change into HDR mode.

Maybe a new version of madvr can fix this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhh11 View Post
So can we expect an update for metadata passthrough and auto switching to HDR/SDR like it does with 3D/2D ?
Auto HDR activation is planned for a future version. The APIs are available now from both NVidia and Microsoft. The NVidia API is "better" because it will (probably) work for all OSs from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (I think), while the Microsoft API will only work for Windows 10. I plan to support both APIs, but it will take some time to implement this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcec View Post
What level of NNEDI3 neurons does NGU-AA roughly corresponds to in terms of image quality? For instance, NGU-AA (very high) ~= NNEDI3 256? NGU-AA (high) ~= NNEDI3 128? etc
There's no direct correspondence. In some images even NGU AA Low looks better than NNEDI3 256. In other cases you need NGU AA Very High to compete with NNEDI3 256.

Quote:
I tried running a few 4k hdr files. I have a Haswell 4 core cpu at 4.3ghz but it just maxes out the cpu and I get stutters. Is there any way to run this stuff or do I need a kaby lake. I use lav filters and use cuvid with the 4k box enabled but I don’t know if that helps with these files. is it couse my 1060gtx cant decode it?
Have you configured LAV Video Decoder to do hardware decoding? Or your CPU maxes out, it seems you're still using software decoding.

Quote:
Also, I have the default hdr settings but faces seem to be very red. Colors are off somehow with hdr it seems. I have a non hdr tv but shouldn’t madvr convert it?
Is that with all movies? Is your display properly calibrated? Please double check your "device" setup in the madVR settings dialog to make sure all settings are correct (e.g. "the display is already calibrated to [...]" etc).

Quote:
I want to downscale HEVC 4K UHD content to 1080p with madvr, however the ony way to get acceptable frame render times is to set image downscaling to DXVA2. The madvr algoritmes all give me render times above 40 or 50 ms. My GPU is a GTX1070 so I assume it can do better then this.
The issue is likely caused by chroma upscaling. Please use a reasonable chroma upscaling algorithm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuhi View Post
can someone please point me in the right direction of solving the attached issue with 3DLut?
The problem is when I use 3DLut generated by Calman and madvr, in madvr, I get these weird white edges.
Turning off the calibration solves it instantly.
Is the TV, madvr, meter (i1 Pro 2) or a Calman setting?
I'm not really a calibration expert. I'd kindly suggest that you ask for help in the Calman support forum. Those guys know everything there is to know about calibration and are much more likely to be able to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolfy View Post
I found an issue when I activate deringing filter. It adds a lot of aliasing sometimes.

Here you can find a good example :

https://www.mediafire.com/?f2gmf1f2setwc12
Thanks, I'll put this on my to do list, but it might take a while until I get to this.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 16:45   #43274  |  Link
BluesFanUK

Anyone got a 1080ti? What kind of settings are you getting? Can you bump anything up for 4K@60?
BluesFanUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2017, 17:07   #43275  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Auto HDR activation is planned for a future version. The APIs are available now from both NVidia and Microsoft. The NVidia API is "better" because it will (probably) work for all OSs from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (I think), while the Microsoft API will only work for Windows 10. I plan to support both APIs, but it will take some time to implement this feature.
Sounds good to support both, maybe I don't need to move my HTPC to 10 then afterall.
Generally happy to know proper HDR reproduction on a HTPC with a HDR TV will be possible.

Now just need to figure out how to actually get unmolested HDR content onto the PC - oh, and buy a HDR TV sometime!
Old 10th April 2017, 17:15   #43276  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Now just need to figure out how to actually get unmolested HDR content onto the PC
Yes, that's the key problem. And it's also why I'm not sure where the rush is. Many users seem to be concerned about HDR already, but we don't really have good HDR content yet. So IMHO it's not all that urgent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
oh, and buy a HDR TV sometime!
Just got myself a previous generation Sony TV with HDR + 3D support, and with a non-flickering backlight (no PWM). This combination of features is really hard to find, because older generation TVs usually have no HDR support, and newer generation TVs usually have no 3D support, and most TV manufacturers don't see a problem with flickering backlights...
Old 10th April 2017, 17:21   #43277  |  Link
TheShadowRunner

Hey madshi, please don't forget the test build! ^^;
Old 10th April 2017, 17:22   #43278  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowRunner View Post
Hey madshi, please don't forget the test build! ^^;
It's on my to do list, but I don't have much time atm.
Old 10th April 2017, 17:27   #43279  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Just got myself a previous generation Sony TV with HDR + 3D support, and with a non-flickering backlight (no PWM). This combination of features is really hard to find, because older generation TVs usually have no HDR support, and newer generation TVs usually have no 3D support, and most TV manufacturers don't see a problem with flickering backlights...
I don't really need (or want) 3D, so that makes it easier. Ever since LAV+madVR could do 3D I have watched like 2 movies like that on my old 1080p Sony 3D TV, mostly just to make sure it works properly through an entire movie.
And yeah, flickering can be really bad, although not every PWM implementation is excessively bad, but I would rather avoid it myself as well.

But the lack of content is why I haven't purchased one yet. They get better every year afterall (or last years cheaper, at the least).
Old 10th April 2017, 17:42   #43280  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.91.8 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* NGU Sharp now targets middle ground between gamma and linear light
* added NGU Standard + Soft algorithms, with direct quadrupling support
* added true "very high" quality mode for direct quadrupling
* modified "add grain" to produce similar output when using direct quad
* fixed: Y416 input was handled incorrectly
No bug fixes, just a "quick" algorithm update.

In older versions, NGU Sharp was optimized for movies that were downscaled using gamma light. A studio insider told me that some studios use gamma light and some linear light for downscaling. So starting with v0.91.8, all NGU algorithms now try to hit middle ground between linear and gamma light. Which means we won't ever get "perfect" results, but with the old version the interpolation error was sometimes big and sometimes non-existant. With the new version there will always be an error, but it will always be relatively small.

In all older madVR versions, "direct quadrupling" was identical for "low" and "medium" settings. So there were really only 3 different performance vs quality settings. I've now rectified that: The previous low+medium settings are now low. The previous high setting is now medium. And the previous very high settings is now high. Finally, I added a true (and slower) new "very high" setting. This is all for direct quadrupling. Doubling is unchanged.

Now I need your FEEDBACK, once again:

1) Do you like the new "NGU Standard" and "NGU Soft" variants? Personally, I like "NGU Standard" a lot. But I think "NGU Soft" is too soft to be useful, and I'd like to remove it again. But since I spent a lot of time creating it, I thought I'd let you test it, at least.

2) Does "NGU Standard" work better for (non-aliased) low quality content now? Or do we still have to use NGU AA for that? Ideally I hope that we can now use "NGU Sharp" for high quality soures, "NGU Standard" for low quality (but aliasing free) sources, and "NGU AntiAlias" only for aliased sources. Is that reasonable? Or is "NGU AA" still the best option for any low quality sources, aliasing free or not?

3) I want to remove the "Soften Edges" option, because "NGU Standard" was made to replace it. Any objections?

4) With all the changes in this build, I feel that "double twice" is no longer needed. "direct quadrupling" should now always be identical or superior in quality and much faster. So I would like to remove "double twice". Any objections?

Last edited by madshi; 10th April 2017 at 19:11.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling