Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th January 2020, 19:46   #641  |  Link
DMU

Has anyone dealt in detail with the option "scale chroma separately, if it saves performance"? Can you comment on this post?
DMU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2020, 22:33   #642  |  Link
zerowalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
Are you using some form of VRR? G-sync/Freesync? Smooth motion does not work well with VRR, disable VRR for madVR and/or your player.

The CPU buffer is the in system memory buffer. It holds frames before they are uploaded to the GPU, after any CPU processing steps (IVTC, etc.). This is the "before madVR" buffer.

The GPU buffer is for after madVR but before present, this is how many completed frames are stored on the GPU. The "after madVR" buffer. This one has more impact in my experiance, the CPU buffer only benefits from a few extra frames. Too big is as bad as too small in my experiance, the default 8 is good. 6-12, above that has never helped on my systems.

Use a separate device does not seem to help with Windows 10. It was mostly useful in the early days of hardware decoding on the GPU, newer OS and drivers seem to have fixed any issues that using a separate device might help. I leave it disabled today as unnecessary overhead but it did not seem to hurt anything during testing.

Is there a way to benchmark it to see what works best?
Cause it's very hard to just See so to speak, even if i set it all to the lowest possible it still works most of the time from what i can tell.
So it would be neat if i could check for framedrops or something in a log perhaps, not sure how to stresstest it though,
i am guessing as heavy video decoding as possible.
zerowalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2020, 01:07   #643  |  Link
Asmodian

If it seems to work fine most of the time on the lowest settings I would simply use the defaults and be happy.

Don't worry too much about buffer sizes, they are not that critical and the defaults are chosen well.
Old 28th January 2020, 19:24   #644  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMU View Post
Has anyone dealt in detail with the option "scale chroma separately, if it saves performance"? Can you comment on this post?
When we were testing it when it came out it was decided that for real life content it looked better disabled, and in cases where you always had to scale the chroma (e.g. 1080p on a 1440 display). Still, it is more a case of tradeoffs rather than obviously better one way.

Blurring chroma differently than luma can cause odd artifacts, so perhaps disabled is safer. That said avoiding scaling entirely is sharper. For 4K video on a 1080p display I can see leaving it on, but test with something besides text on a solid background too.

I don't think text on a black background is a great chroma test pattern for this feature, it is easy to notice subsampling but it is not very representative of real life content.
Old 30th January 2020, 09:32   #645  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
For 4K video on a 1080p display I can see leaving it on, but test with something besides text on a solid background too.

I don't think text on a black background is a great chroma test pattern for this feature, it is easy to notice subsampling but it is not very representative of real life content.
Can you recommend specific real life content for the test?
Old 30th January 2020, 13:45   #646  |  Link
huhn

mostly video games and mostly if you upscale and downscale at the same time.

they are the reason why i think NGU chroma should always be used with NGU image doubling.

your test should be repeated with a simpler chroma scaler but i'm pretty sure it will still loose with no questions. was this test file correctly mastered with the correct chroma position?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2020, 15:14   #647  |  Link
DMU

Quote:
When we were testing it when it came out it was decided that for real life content it looked better disabled, and in cases where you always had to scale the chroma (e.g. 1080p on a 1440 display).
In my practice, I have not seen the operation of this option when upscaling an image, only when downscaling (for example, 2160p -> 1080p)

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
was this test file correctly mastered with the correct chroma position?
Not sure. I received the video for the test in 2 different ways, but in both cases the results were the same:
1 way
- from the source .png image was received .jpg image in 4:2:0 format using the paint.net editor;
- using ffmpeg a video was created for the test with the default settings.
2 way
- using ffmpeg a video was created for the test with the yuv420p setting from the source .png image.
Old 4th April 2020, 10:12   #648  |  Link
ikarad

-target peak nits: [200] Set the target display's peak white brightness. Above this value is used as the highlights. A lower setting increases the brightness of mid range values.
What is the best value to use for my display? Is it 200 as you described or another value?

My display is https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Thanks.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2020, 19:29   #649  |  Link
Asmodian

200 is simply the default. This is a good starting point but adjust it to your preference. There isn't really a "correct" way to handle HDR -> SDR, you have to decide what looks best to you and different HDR mastering might change your preference for this value.
Old 10th April 2020, 13:10   #650  |  Link
Audionut

I was under the impression that target peak nits should be set to the measured white level of the display. There are other ways to adjust mid range brightness, right?

There may not be a "correct" way to do HDR -> SDR, but madVR is doing HDR -> SDR. Telling madVR that the target peak nits is going to be 200 when the display is only 100, or 500, or whatever, doesn't seem appropriate.
Old 10th April 2020, 18:45   #651  |  Link
Asmodian

In my experiance, and depending on the HDR master, I get more pleasing results using values not quite the same as my measured peak brightness. For HDR->HDR target peak nits should be set to the measured white level, HDR->SDR is less exact. Again, mastering has a huge effect as well, some of my HDR movies need very different target peak nits to look decent in SDR.

And 200 is about right for the brightness of a XB270HU. I have one myself and 160-220 nits is a good brightness setting for it, without a meter simply adjusting it and evaluating the result is all you can do.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:22   #652  |  Link
Audionut

Without a meter, everything is guesswork.

As I get older I get less anal about these things, hence the good thing about a meter. Measure and forget.

If doing HDR -> SDR I would assume you would ideally want to be using the latest beta build. There's lots of options in there. Some of those would seem far more preferable then playing with target nits.

But I haven't played with any of them though. The defaults work fine for this old bastard. I'll shut the door on the way out.
Old 11th April 2020, 15:25   #653  |  Link
takenori

Hi, is htere any reason why the custom mode doesnt switch automatically anymore? is there any new tutorial inline with newer driver/updates of windows and gpu?
my pc used to switch automatically a few years back (2018 i think)
today, i tried the same tutorial and it wont switch automatically.

im on gsync compatible freesync hdr monitor (turned off via monitor OSD), windows 10 home, and nvidia gtx 10
all 3 is in the latest firmware, update, and driver.

thanks for the answers
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 20:48   #654  |  Link
Asmodian

Do you have G-sync disable in the drivers as well?

Sorry, I don't know of a guide but automatic switching works for me without doing anything special, I simply need to enable them in display modes.

Edit: Actually this works even with G-sync enabled in the drivers.. so my first question isn't relevant.
Old 12th April 2020, 01:28   #655  |  Link
takenori

Quote:
Do you have G-sync disable in the drivers as well?

Sorry, I don't know of a guide but automatic switching works for me without doing anything special, I simply need to enable them in display modes.

Edit: Actually this works even with G-sync enabled in the drivers.. so my first question isn't relevant.
glad that i can still use freesync on, swithing themregularly is a pain.

so after a few fiddling, the only time im able to auto switch is only from the available standard mode, the missing list is not switchable
also, its a 1440p monitor,
but on the list of mode madvr may switch to, it listed as invalid (1440p23, 1440p59, and so on)
1080p and 2160p listed as valid
so, if i play a 1080p59 video on my 1440p monitor, it would switch to 1080p59 instead of 1440p59

edit: also, instead of apply button after each refresh rate, it shows test mode instead.

Last edited by takenori; 12th April 2020 at 08:26.
Old 14th April 2020, 08:43   #656  |  Link
Asmodian

Sorry, that all seems to be an issue with that monitor. It seems to be missing several useful modes, I would expect 119 Hz on a high Hz display (useful for 23 and 59). You only need 100, 119 (119.88012), and 120 Hz, everything else fits nicely into just them so do not worry about 50 Hz missing. Maybe try CRU to add 119.88Hz?

Make sure to disable G-sync for your video player, madVR does not get along with G-sync because it relies on the display having a fixed refresh rate. Smooth motion goes really bad but the frame timing with G-sync enabled is not great even with smooth motion disabled.

Edit: A great option, and what I would do, is leave it on 2560x1440@144Hz all the time and use smooth motion. Smooth motion works really well at 144Hz.

Last edited by Asmodian; 14th April 2020 at 08:56.
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2020, 13:51   #657  |  Link
takenori

managed to switch to my resolution,
apparently, i need to type the whole resoultion instead of 1440p.
but they result in a bad audio lag.
both with gsync compatible turned on and off, still audio lag.
and thanks for the suggestion, will try smooth motion because lots of my contents is 29 and 25 fps.
but do i need to use them for 23 materials? stat still reports 1 frame drop every 44seconds playing 23 on 144hz

Last edited by takenori; 14th April 2020 at 13:54.
Old 14th April 2020, 14:02   #658  |  Link
huhn

if you drop a frame every 44 sec and you don't want that the answer is yes.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2020, 12:47   #659  |  Link
takenori

sorry, i mean frame repeat.
Old 15th April 2020, 20:40   #660  |  Link
Asmodian

Smooth motion still offers an improvement for 23.976 fps @ 144 Hz, you will not get full frame drops or repeats without it but you do get judder. Without smooth motion most frames will be displayed for 6 refreshes but every 44 seconds a frame will be displayed for 7 refreshes instead. This is not too bad but with smooth motion you do not get any judder.