Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 3rd April 2018, 02:29   #1  |  Link
aidenn0

DVD with lots of bad sectors

I am able to play and rip all but one of my DVDs successfully on linux. There is one that is giving me no end of issues, and I suspect some sort of copy protection scheme is involved.

It has thousands of bad sectors, starting about halfway through the disc; both mplayer and vlc go crazy, but in different ways. MakeMKV generates a file that gets stuck in a ~3s loop at that same point. It plays flawlessly in any set-top player I've tried though. Any suggestions for dealing with this?

I'm seriously considering just playing it on my set-top box and capturing via HDMI at this point.
aidenn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 08:37   #2  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

I aint no expert on this, but if you can, get any version of win XP or later running,
try RipIt4Me (or any other ripper that makes a Protected Sector List for DVDDecrypter).
Some DVD's have dummy sectors (they dont exist at all) which might be cause of your prob.
Dont know any Linux solution, but there probably are some.
Maybe try search on "Linux DVD Protected Sector List".

EDIT: A DVD player obeys some embedded DVD program instructions to 'jump over' the non existing sectors.

EDIT: Some results here, I have not viewed:- https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=9....0.faANEwzhqbc

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 3rd April 2018 at 08:41.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 09:09   #3  |  Link
aidenn0

I can fairly easily get a list of protected sectors (e.g. ddrescue can give me it); how do I go from there to actually decoding the movie. If I zero-fill the missing sectors I get a lot of bad artifacts. Interestingly enough dvdnav:// and dvd:// in mplayer gives different results.

Is there really not a software tool for linux that can obey the navigation commands that a set-top player can?
Old 9th April 2018, 10:30   #4  |  Link
cherishjoo

How does Handbrake work for you?
cherishjoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 06:53   #5  |  Link
aidenn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherishjoo View Post
How does Handbrake work for you?
It exits as soon as it gets to a bad sector
Old 20th April 2018, 09:42   #6  |  Link
StainlessS
HeartlessS Usurer

Adding RipIt4Me to the prev given search, ie "Linux ripit4me DVD "Protected Sector List"":- https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=l....0.5v8W7NEKBf4

EDIT: Fewer and perhaps better hits.

"Some infinities are bigger than other infinities", but how many of them are infinitely bigger ???

Last edited by StainlessS; 20th April 2018 at 13:04.
StainlessS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2018, 12:01   #7  |  Link
qyot27
...?

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=157519
qyot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 03:57   #8  |  Link
aidenn0

From the trhread qyot27 mentions:

Quote:
this image seems playable in anything using libdvdread/nav/dvdcss (i.e. anything in Linux, and VLC on windows) if I pass the ISO to it.
This is absolutely not the case for the image I have. libdvdread and libdvdnav do different things, but both show corruption at the area(s) with bad sectors, even after a full run of ddrescue.

I have not yet dried descrambing the sectors to see if it plays in windows; I'll have to dust off a windows VM to try it. Thanks for the hint though.

As an aside, this disc looks designed to not allow that decryption method to work, as the program from that thread reports all scrambled sectors as not being inside a vob, which is obviously wrong.