Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 18th January 2020, 07:25   #1  |  Link
mr_lou

Burn blu-ray ISO on a DVD?

This is probably extremely niche, and most likely not possible, but I gotta ask.

The short version:
Is there any way I can burn a blu-ray ISO onto a DVD in a way that the DVD identifies itself as a blu-ray media, and thus will play in most blu-ray players?

The longer version:
Playing around with Blu-ray Disc Java homebrew gamedev (www.blu-play.com), we produce blu-ray ISO files that are rather small. Could easily fit on a DVD.
Lots of people are interested in this kind of homebrew, because you can run the same disc on up to 5 game consoles. But very few people owns a blu-ray burner.
So naturally it would be ideal if these blu-ray ISO's could just be burned to a DVD.

And they can.

Xbox One plays blu-ray content from a DVD just fine. So that's great. The same goes for a hand full of Samsung blu-ray players. But the majority of players, including the PlayStation 3 and 4, doesn't.

Then someone started talking about "booktype" for DVD's. In the old days when players refused to play DVD-R and DVD+R, burner apps simply offered options to change booktype to DVD-ROM, thus fixing the compatibility issues.

So the question is: Are the any similar tricks we can use today to trick players into handling a DVD as a blu-ray disc? Some field that can (theoretically) be changed in the same way as booktype, without resulting in the player utilizing the blue laser?

To clarify what most people seem to misunderstand:
  • I'm not talking about playing blu-ray in a DVD player. I'm talking about playing blu-ray content from a DVD in a blu-ray player.
  • Obviously I'm not expecting a DVD to be read by the blue laser. Red laser reads the disc of course, but should interpret it as a blu-ray. (No need to point out the obvious like speed limits of the red laser etc. There'll never be any content on a Blu-Play title with such high bitrates).
mr_lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 12:35   #2  |  Link
Sharc

I think it depends on the blu-ray HW player.
My old SONY blu-ray player played blu-ray content on DVD5 and DVD9, including menus etc. Other (newer) models spit the disc out. No avail.
Chances are probably better when you encode and author your footage as AVCHD rather than blu-ray.

P.S.
Why stick to DVD media? Blu-ray BD25 discs are even less costly these days …...

Last edited by Sharc; 18th January 2020 at 12:43.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2020, 13:18   #3  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

I seem to remember being able to use ImgBurn to create DVD's with Blu-ray disc folder structures (created using TSmuxer GUI) and playing them on my old (2011) Panasonic DMP-BDT210 Blu-ray player - before I moved onto the OPPO players.

As Sharc has already mentioned, whether the same trick works on newer Blu-ray players will depends on the player.
Old 20th January 2020, 00:45   #4  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

And lets not forget: AVCHD can be had on DVD.
AVCHD structure and encoding are very close to Blu-ray.
AVCHD capable Blu-ray players like Panasonics can play that back.
You may just use multiAVCHD, there is a huge thread here.
In most cases no reencoding is necessary, only if bitrate and such have been exceeded above AVCHD limits.
Well, the DVD read speed would limit that anyway...
Old 20th January 2020, 04:01   #5  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

actually, I *think* they use mostly java and not so much video..

//LD
LowDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 10:43   #6  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowDead View Post
actually, I *think* they use mostly java and not so much video..

//LD
What mostly uses Java?

In the past I've authored many Blu-ray discs that don't contain any Java at all...
Old 20th January 2020, 16:01   #7  |  Link
mr_lou

Yes, the reason it needs to be blu-ray content rather than AVCHD content, is because only blu-ray runs Java. AVCHD don't. And it is Java that's being used for these homebrew titles, so it needs to be blu-ray.

I know BD25 discs aren't expensive. That's not the problem. The problem is that most people don't own a blu-ray burner, and they are hesitant to buy one just to check out some Blu-ray Disc Java homebrew game.

That's why it would be great if there was some universal way of making blu-ray players accept DVD as a media for blu-ray content.

The Xbox One is awesome in this regard. It'll play blu-ray content even on a CD.
If PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 would only do this too, but no.
(Well, early firmware version of the PS3 actually played AVCHD+Java from USB, but they killed that option in a firmware update).
Old 20th January 2020, 17:36   #8  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lou View Post
.. And it is Java that's being used for these homebrew titles, so it needs to be blu-ray...
What exactly are you intending to burn onto disc?

The primary 'video format' for burning onto Blu-ray discs is AVC (h.264). They don't require Java at all.

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 20th January 2020 at 17:39.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2020, 18:26   #9  |  Link
mr_lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital View Post
What exactly are you intending to burn onto disc?

The primary 'video format' for burning onto Blu-ray discs is AVC (h.264). They don't require Java at all.
Blu-ray Disc Java Xlets.

See https://www.blu-play.com/what-is-blu-play
Old 20th January 2020, 19:27   #10  |  Link
ocean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lou View Post
(Well, early firmware version of the PS3 actually played AVCHD+Java from USB, but they killed that option in a firmware update).
Yes, the first firmware versions worked with Linux, it was possible to copy the bluray etc.
ocean is offline   Reply With Quote