Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 5th March 2015, 19:02   #4781  |  Link
stax76

@MikeTR

Here is a hotfix: http://www.dropbox.com/s/9iqy8v6i38d...3.05-2.7z?dl=0
  • Improved eac3to GUI
  • Improved cli/batch/script GUI
  • Fixed invalid script used for non mod 4 sources
  • Fixed invalid script used for RGB sources
  • Fixed decimal number framerates being imprecise
  • Fixed unnecessary WAV to FLAC conversion when DirectShowFilter is used
  • Fixed gain detection with ffmpeg to normalize audio didn't use the correct stream using mkv as audio source file
Old 6th March 2015, 06:10   #4782  |  Link
DocSavage

MKV to x264 (simple@5)

Hi, for easy transport on my media player I use AVC to encode my episodic TV series blu-rays down to a 1280x720 MKV. However been tooling around with StaxRip in the hopes of redoing these as good quality 640x360 MP4 (AVI) so my dad can see them on his older Archos player. Now using StaxRip to try and do this more efficiently, the result is always too blocky (artefacts) no matter the bitrate - see mediainfo below
Video
File size :185 MiB
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L1
Format settings, Matrix : Default (H.263)
Codec ID : FMP4
Duration : 20mn 55s
Bit rate : 1 096 Kbps
Width : 640 pixels
Height : 360 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.198
Stream size : 164 MiB (89%)
Writing library : Lavc56.14.100
So my questions are -
Would a change of the format profile from Simple@L1 to L5 yield any improvements and how can I do this?
Format settings are at H.263 would H.264 not be better, and how can I change this?
What would the best filter be to use, when downscaling 1280x720 MKV to a 640x360 AVI, whilst keeping filesize about the same?
Any advice or pointers would be useful.
Old 6th March 2015, 17:42   #4783  |  Link
MikeTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax76 View Post
@MikeTR

Here is a hotfix: http://www.dropbox.com/s/9iqy8v6i38d...3.05-2.7z?dl=0
  • Improved eac3to GUI
  • Improved cli/batch/script GUI
  • Fixed invalid script used for non mod 4 sources
  • Fixed invalid script used for RGB sources
  • Fixed decimal number framerates being imprecise
  • Fixed unnecessary WAV to FLAC conversion when DirectShowFilter is used
  • Fixed gain detection with ffmpeg to normalize audio didn't use the correct stream using mkv as audio source file
Confirm that the hotfix works correctly on non mod 4 sources. Good catch on the FLAC conversion, I forgot to mention that before.

My only issue now is still the gpac _.tmp files created in Local/Temp by the updated MP4Box version. I switched back to v.0.4.6 and that version does not have this problem. Megui uses v0.5.1_rev4929 without issue, but the same version imported into Staxrip does have the aforementioned problem. Any thoughts why that could be?
Old 6th March 2015, 20:00   #4784  |  Link
VelleX

@DocSavage

What encoding method did you use? Constant Bitrate, Variable Bitrate (1 or 2 pass), or Quality based? Of course 2 pass would be best option if you want a specific file size.

And what does "no matter the bitrate" mean? What bitrate did you try? Maybe your TV Series needs more bitrate.

h.263 is only the setting for the quantization matrix type, where i think just h263 or MPEG is possible. As i know MPEG is better for higher bitrates/preserving details, and h263 is better for low bitrates.

Also i wonder if the Format Profile which is displayed is true, because as i know Simple@L1 would limit the Resolution and Bitrate to 144×96 and 64kbps.
Normally you should use of course Advanced Simple@L5.

Last edited by VelleX; 6th March 2015 at 20:19.
Old 6th March 2015, 21:00   #4785  |  Link
Patman

Update MP4Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTR View Post
Confirm that the hotfix works correctly on non mod 4 sources. Good catch on the FLAC conversion, I forgot to mention that before.

My only issue now is still the gpac _.tmp files created in Local/Temp by the updated MP4Box version. I switched back to v.0.4.6 and that version does not have this problem. Megui uses v0.5.1_rev4929 without issue, but the same version imported into Staxrip does have the aforementioned problem. Any thoughts why that could be?
@MikeTR

I've updated MP4Box to v0.5.2 r106 and no tmp files were created.

@Stax

Is it possible to integrate the ffms2 c-plugin as a replacement for "normal" ffms2? I've seen you have asked qyot27 in the FFmpegSource thread..

Last edited by Patman; 6th March 2015 at 22:29.
Old 7th March 2015, 03:54   #4786  |  Link
DocSavage

Thanks for your response, so in reply to that
1. I used a constant bitrate for ASP at 2-pass, trying to achieve an average file size of approx. 180MB for each 20min programme converted
2. Obviously using a higher bitrate increased the file size dramatically, so trying to keep it at approx. 200MB max. CBR
3. Yes, you're right possibly Simple@L1 is a limiting factor, so how would I be able to use the Advanced Simple@L5 at 640x360 - how is accessible within the GUI or profile coding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelleX View Post
@DocSavage

What encoding method did you use? Constant Bitrate, Variable Bitrate (1 or 2 pass), or Quality based? Of course 2 pass would be best option if you want a specific file size.

And what does "no matter the bitrate" mean? What bitrate did you try? Maybe your TV Series needs more bitrate.

h.263 is only the setting for the quantization matrix type, where i think just h263 or MPEG is possible. As i know MPEG is better for higher bitrates/preserving details, and h263 is better for low bitrates.

Also i wonder if the Format Profile which is displayed is true, because as i know Simple@L1 would limit the Resolution and Bitrate to 144×96 and 64kbps.
Normally you should use of course Advanced Simple@L5.
Old 7th March 2015, 09:05   #4787  |  Link
MikeTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman View Post
@MikeTR
I've updated MP4Box to v0.5.2 r106 and no tmp files were created.
Good news. Can you give me a link to the version you used (and exactly how) so I can trace your steps?
Old 7th March 2015, 11:46   #4788  |  Link
Patman

Quote:
Good news. Can you give me a link to the version you used (and exactly how) so I can trace your steps?
Hi,

follow these link MP4Box.zip and extract the folder to your Staxrip folder/applications and overwrite the existing files. After that you can test it with an encode. I've used a mp4 file to create a mp4 file. I've changed the audio track and the size of the video track.

Last edited by Patman; 7th March 2015 at 11:55.
Old 8th March 2015, 10:12   #4789  |  Link
MikeTR

@Patman: No joy fro me. I still get gpac_"8 random digits".tmp files in C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp every time. Running Win7x64, but will try to replicate on Win8 to ryle out OS/system issue.
Old 8th March 2015, 10:28   #4790  |  Link
Patman

Quote:
@Patman: No joy fro me. I still get gpac_"8 random digits".tmp files in C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Temp every time. Running Win7x64, but will try to replicate on Win8 to ryle out OS/system issue.
I use Win 8.1 x64 and i have no tmp files in this folder. I've cleaned my system before i've used the latest build of staxrip. I've cleaned the registry and deleted all folders of staxrip. Also i've uninstalled my codec package and reinstalled it after a system cleanup. Before that mp4box created tmp files too.
Old 8th March 2015, 10:29   #4791  |  Link
lotnybartek

Dear stax

I'm trying to encode *.ts files recorded by my satellite box (1920x1080). StaxRip is the only software that can cut the file and then encode it. Now, I have an HP Envy 6 Ultrabook, i5 3317u with dual GPU - the one in CPU and second ATI.

CPU is not so much powerful, (on 1080 material I got 5-7 FPS max, x264, CRF=22). So I'm trying alternative methods. One of them is Intel Encoder.

With CQP=22 I get almost 45 FPS, but with alternative software (Handbrake) I got almost 150FPS.

Now I'm confused. With Intel H264 encoder I have clearly more FPS but I don't know if encoding is done with CPU only or CPU+GPU (don't think so - read below).

The problem is, QSVEncC.exe do not see my iGPU, it says:

GPU: unknown (Failed to find Intel GPU).

Funny thing is, when I reinstall iGPU drivers, QSVEncC.exe will see them with QSVEncC.exe --check-features (I mean it sees iGPU correctly), but after PC restart QSVEncC.exe can't find iGPU again.

The dude who wrote QSVEncC.exe is Japanese - so I can't really read anything on his webpage.

Can you tell me why I can't get so many FPS with StaxRip but I can get 3x faster using Handbrake using Intel QuickSync?

Can you implement other, alternative encoders?
Old 8th March 2015, 12:29   #4792  |  Link
stax76

@lotnybartek

NikosD might be know what's wrong, otherwise I can point the QSVEncC author to your post, he already helped Nikos and me so with some luck he can help you too.

@Patman
@MikeTR

I also get the temp files, the weird thing is it only happens within StaxRip and not executing the command line directly with the windows command prompt. I checked my code searching for gpac and tmp with no result so I checked the code with the debugger which showed that the files are written by mp4box.

My standpoint was always mp4box and mp4 has too many issues and limitations making it not worth bothering with it, I never had a good experience with mp4box and mp4 both as programmer and user so I let it to the users to workout problems like report a bug to the mp4box author, switching to MKV would be my number one advice.

Quote:
Is it possible to integrate the ffms2 c-plugin as a replacement for "normal" ffms2? I've seen you have asked qyot27 in the FFmpegSource thread.
With some tricks probably only I could figure out, you can't just drop it in, it would generate LoadPlugin instead of LoadCPlugin and there might be other implications related indexing for instance.

Easiest solution for us would be somebody making a non C build of course. Do you know which version other popular GUIs use?
Old 8th March 2015, 13:13   #4793  |  Link
Patman

Quote:
@lotnybartek

@Patman
@MikeTR

I also get the temp files, the weird thing is it only happens within StaxRip and not executing the command line directly with the windows command prompt. I checked my code searching for gpac and tmp with no result so I checked the code with the debugger which showed that the files are written by mp4box.
I had no temp files on my system and Staxrip/Mp4Box haven't created any file. I don't now why... I've checked the box that all temp files will be deleted after encode.

Quote:
With some tricks probably only I could figure out, you can't just drop it in, it would generate LoadPlugin instead of LoadCPlugin and there might be other implications related indexing for instance.

Easiest solution for us would be somebody making a non C build of course. Do you know which version other popular GUIs use?
Selur used the c-plugin in hybrid and megui used the same as staxrip. Maybe selur can help to integrate c-plugin.
Old 8th March 2015, 13:52   #4794  |  Link
lotnybartek

Quote:
@lotnybartek

NikosD might be know what's wrong, otherwise I can point the QSVEncC author to your post, he already helped Nikos and me so with some luck he can help you too.
Thank you Stax. Can you point him (QSVEncC author) on my post.? I'd very glad.

I've already PM'd NikosD, so maybe he will point me to something useful too ;-)
Old 8th March 2015, 14:28   #4795  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotnybartek View Post
Dear stax

I'm trying to encode *.ts files recorded by my satellite box (1920x1080). StaxRip is the only software that can cut the file and then encode it. Now, I have an HP Envy 6 Ultrabook, i5 3317u with dual GPU - the one in CPU and second ATI.

CPU is not so much powerful, (on 1080 material I got 5-7 FPS max, x264, CRF=22). So I'm trying alternative methods. One of them is Intel Encoder.

With CQP=22 I get almost 45 FPS, but with alternative software (Handbrake) I got almost 150FPS.

Now I'm confused. With Intel H264 encoder I have clearly more FPS but I don't know if encoding is done with CPU only or CPU+GPU (don't think so - read below).

The problem is, QSVEncC.exe do not see my iGPU, it says:

GPU: unknown (Failed to find Intel GPU).

Funny thing is, when I reinstall iGPU drivers, QSVEncC.exe will see them with QSVEncC.exe --check-features (I mean it sees iGPU correctly), but after PC restart QSVEncC.exe can't find iGPU again.

The dude who wrote QSVEncC.exe is Japanese - so I can't really read anything on his webpage.

Can you tell me why I can't get so many FPS with StaxRip but I can get 3x faster using Handbrake using Intel QuickSync?

Can you implement other, alternative encoders?
Your CPU (IvyBridge) has an HD 4000 iGPU@1.05GHz which is fast enough for a lot more than 45fps transcoding speed.

The 150fps that HandBrake gives you is a reasonable figure for your QuickSync H.264 1080p transcoding (it depends on the quality bar and the settings - it could be even more)

HandBrake is one of a few non commercial apps that accelerate in hardware the whole H.264 -> H.264 transcoding process, meaning both decoding and encoding.

Unfortunately, QSVEncC although is a lot more updated and advanced application with a lot more options and parameters for transcoding, it supports encoding in HW, but not decoding in HW.

So, StaxRip using QSVEncC needs to use your not so fast CPU for decoding and QuickSync (HW) for encoding.
That is probably the main reason for such huge transcoding speed difference between HandBrake and QSVEncC.

I have asked rigaya, the developer of QSVEncC, to accelerate in HW the decoding process and he told me that could look at it probably in a few months.

About the "missing" iGPU, which is presented as "Unknown" and all the messages about "Failed to connect" etc, it's a common problem with systems having two GPUs (one internal from Intel and another discrete GPU), but doesn't affect anything as long as QuickSync works OK.

I have a system with iGPU only (no discrete card) and the DXVA acceleration can work in native mode.
I'm not sure if a system with two cards can work in full speed when the primary card is the discrete GPU and not the iGPU.

If I were you I would try to make the iGPU (from Intel) the primary GPU either from BIOS or from Windows properties or any other way and check again the transcoding speed of both HandBrake and QSVEncC.
Especially HandBrake which accelerates the whole transcoding process in HW, could be faster.
Old 8th March 2015, 15:09   #4796  |  Link
lotnybartek

This is very clear now.

About making iGPU primary. Pity is, I can't do that. I already researched this topic for couple of days.

Almost every modern notebook has very limited BIOS now. Mine too. I can't switch my GPU's between dynamic and fixed mode. That's the way it is. Yes, I checked for BIOS updates etc.

TBH, I'd use Hanbrake, but like I said, only StaxRip can properly cut my *.ts files. Or is it?
Old 9th March 2015, 23:15   #4797  |  Link
getID3()

I noticed that filters macro %newline% no longer works (it has also been removed from the helpfile). I can't see anything that it's been replaced with. That makes it hard to set up custom filters that require multiple lines. It worked fine in 1.1.9.0
Old 10th March 2015, 15:13   #4798  |  Link
MikeTR

Quote:

My standpoint was always mp4box and mp4 has too many issues and limitations making it not worth bothering with it, I never had a good experience with mp4box and mp4 both as programmer and user so I let it to the users to workout problems like report a bug to the mp4box author, switching to MKV would be my number one advice.
Thanks for the confirmation. I prefer .mkv as well, but unfortunately need .mp4 for a legacy device that just doesn't play nice with mkv. I'll keep using the older mp4box version when needed.
Old 10th March 2015, 19:27   #4799  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
So, StaxRip using QSVEncC needs to use your not so fast CPU for decoding and QuickSync (HW) for encoding.
HW decoding should work either with DSS and LAV Filters or with DGDecNV. With FullHD source and QS output I get 120 fps both with DSS LAV DXVA2 copy back and with L-Smash so decoding isn't a limiting factor at all! With nv output I get 200 fps, again with or without HW decoding and again FullHD, I use i3570 and GTX 960.

Quote:
I noticed that filters macro %newline% no longer works (it has also been removed from the helpfile). I can't see anything that it's been replaced with. That makes it hard to set up custom filters that require multiple lines. It worked fine in 1.1.9.0
There's a new multiline syntax you can use instead:

Code:
[Source]
MPEG2Source = MPEG2Source("%source_file%")
DirectShowSource = DirectShowSource("%source_file%", audio = false, convertfps = true, fps = %original_framerate%)

FFVideoSource =
	FFVideoSource("%source_file%", cachefile = "%working_dir%%source_name%.ffindex")
	AssumeFPS(%original_framerate%)

LSMASHVideoSource = LSMASHVideoSource("%source_file%")

LWLibavVideoSource =
	LWLibavVideoSource("%source_file%")
	AssumeFPS(%original_framerate%)

DGSource = DGSource("%source_file%", deinterlace = 0, resize_w = 0, resize_h = 0)
Old 10th March 2015, 19:47   #4800  |  Link
NikosD

Quote:
HW decoding should work either with DSS and LAV Filters or with DGDecNV. With FullHD source and QS output I get 120 fps both with DSS LAV DXVA2 copy back and with L-Smash so decoding isn't a limiting factor at all! With nv output I get 200 fps, again with or without HW decoding and again FullHD, I use i3570 and GTX 960.
That's an interesting approach that I was looking for.

Regarding QS encoding can you be more specific on how could we use HW decoding ?

I mean what SW to use and mainly how.

For example, how could someone use LAV Video for HW decoding along with QSVEncC HW encoding using StaxRip.

The more details, the better !
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265