Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2023, 18:37   #1  |  Link
jriker1

HEVC (Main 10@L5.1@High)

When I look at existing blue-ray material i see values like the below in mediainfo:

76.0 Mb/s, 3840*2160 (16:9), at 24.000 FPS, HEVC (Main 10@L5.1@High), HDR10

When I look at the same material after encoding with ffmpeg to HEVC "again" I get:

English, 10.5 Mb/s, 3840*2160 (16:9), at 24.000 FPS, HEVC (Main 10@L5.1@Main), HDR10

What is the last @High/@Main value at the end and how do you encode to match the source?
jriker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2023, 20:21   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

You're using the main tier, you need to turn on the high tier, in your case, in x265 it would be:

Code:
--level 5.1 --profile main10 --high-tier
but since you seem to prefer to use ffmpeg for whatever reason, that would be...

Code:
ffmpeg -i "whatever.mxf" -c:v libx265 -x265-params level=5.1:profile=main10:tier=high -c:a copy -y "/home/FranceBB/Share Windows Linux/temp/test.mkv"

and indeed in mediainfo it will say:

Code:
Format profile : Main10@L5.1@High
2 remarks:

1) Please note that while x265 will encode to 10bit any source if you specify Main10 (like an 8bit source or a 12bit source or indeed a 10bit source), libx265 inside ffmpeg won't and will only encode it as Main10 IF the input is also 10bit, so although in your case your source is indeed 10bit planar, if it wasn't, you would have to convert it yourself within ffmpeg first before calling libx265. I'm saying this so that you don't find any surprises in the future.

2) Please note that x265 ain't stupid, which means that it's not using the high tier 'cause it recognizes that you don't need the high tier.
You see, whoever encoded the original file was using much higher specs in terms of bitrate and actually needed the high tier, however your bitrate is much lower and you would be fine with the main tier. Please note that although there's no issue in specifying the high tier even if your encode doesn't need to, you will (potentially) be limiting the number of devices capable of playing back your content. This is because a device will read the tier required to play it and it may as well bail out if all it can read is the main tier, while in theory it could have read your content just fine as it didn't need to be high tier capable (although, let's be honest, the overwhelming majority of devices capable of decoding H.265 are high tier capable).

You see what I'm trying to say here?

Same goes for the level.

Time to have dinner now.

Cheers,
Frank

Last edited by FranceBB; 25th March 2023 at 20:28.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote