Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Closed Thread

Old 25th April 2009, 12:35   #1201  |  Link
squid_80

neuron2: Are you aware that due to a limitation of the nvcuvid decoder, clips with 16 reference frames are not decoded correctly?
Old 25th April 2009, 13:53   #1202  |  Link

I wasn't aware of that. Anyway, who would use 16 refs? Think of the massive DPB that would require.
Old 25th April 2009, 14:07   #1203  |  Link
squid_80

I fully agree, FWIW. Unfortunately people still do it.
The problem isn't the total size of the DPB (although it can be on cards with only 256MB), it's mainly due to windows/DXVA only allowing a DPB made up of 16 frames. In theory this is ok since non-ref B frames can bypass the DPB but this isn't how the nvcuvid decoder works - every frame is decoded via the DPB and if there's no free slot (all filled with reference frames) artifacts show up.
Old 28th April 2009, 07:40   #1204  |  Link
Manaka

Does DGAVCDECNV support x64 ? If yes I can try it on my Vista x64 with x264 x64. And I wonder about speed increase compare with ffdshow. thanks

forgive my bad english
Old 28th April 2009, 13:59   #1205  |  Link

People are running it successfully on x64, though I do not have an x64 machine.

Depending on your machine, you may get a performance increase for transcoding, but you also may get only a very small increase.
Old 2nd May 2009, 02:28   #1206  |  Link
xopowo

Yes, it works very well on an x64 platform. I have tested with Xp, Vista, and Windows 7 64-bit Operating Systems.
Old 2nd May 2009, 20:44   #1207  |  Link
yesgrey

I was backing up a movie using DGAVCDecNV for frame decoding and today, in the morning, after several x264 hours, when I looked into the computer I had a dialog stating that there was some cuda error decoding the frame. Everytime I closed the dialog, a new one appeared. I had to abort the encoding. After this I have opened the Avisynth script in VirtualDub to see if there was any error decoding the frame in which the encoding stopped, but there was no problem, it worked flawlessly.
It was my first real encoding using DGAVCDecNV. Before this, I have tryed it with small video segments and worked good. Only now, during a full movie encoding, this happened.
Any idea what could have happened?
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:09   #1208  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3
some cuda error
Next time write it down and report what it is.
Old 3rd May 2009, 04:04   #1209  |  Link
squid_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesgrey3 View Post
Any idea what could have happened?
Try disabling your screen saver.
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:45   #1210  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Next time write it down and report what it is.
Is there any list of the possible errors available? If I see it, I can recognize it...

I think it was something like:
error.cuda.framedecoder()

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid_80 View Post
Is disabled.
Old 4th May 2009, 10:00   #1211  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
I was backing up a movie using DGAVCDecNV for frame decoding and today, in the morning, after several x264 hours, when I looked into the computer I had a dialog stating that there was some cuda error decoding the frame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by squid_80 View Post
I think I have discovered what happenned...
Yesterday I started the compression job again. At night, when I decided to go to bed and leave the PC running for the night, I was going to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to keep the PC in locked mode. Then I remember the tip from squid_80, about the screen saver... I have it disabled, but when we hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to lock the PC, it enters a different state, covering the desktop with the login dialog.
I can not test it again right now because I don't want to mess up the encoding again, it already passed the critical point of yesterday.
I will test it and update here as soon as I could.
Old 4th May 2009, 14:17   #1212  |  Link

Yes, that is very likely the reason. The video driver gets into a different mode.
Old 5th May 2009, 22:29   #1213  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
I think I have discovered what happenned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Yes, that is very likely the reason. The video driver gets into a different mode.
I confirm. It was it. We cannot lock our computers while frame serving with CUVIDServer.
When I unlock the computer I have this message on screen:
Name:  CUVIDServer_error1.png
Views: 1000
Size:  4.3 KB
When I close this dialog, appears this other message:
Name:  CUVIDServer_error2.png
Views: 1918
Size:  3.6 KB
When I close it, appears the first again, and it keeps like this, always showing both messages, one after the other.

I believe this should be a problem in CUVIDServer. Do you think it could be fixed? If not, I think it's a good idea put a warning in your guides, because it's a bit annoying to crash a long encoding job just because we locked our computers for security reasons...
Old 5th May 2009, 22:42   #1214  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Maybe I'm off-base w/this suggestion, but you might want to see if it works to run CUVIDServer as a service:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

I haven't tried it (yet) myself...

EDIT: Well I tried but was not successful in getting this to work. Maybe it's due to my XP x64 OS, or CUVIDServer itself, or maybe I didn't implement it correctly. Seems like a reasonable thing to attempt for a PC that uses it a lot though!? If anyone else can get it to work by all means please tell.

Last edited by laserfan; 6th May 2009 at 03:37.
Old 8th May 2009, 17:26   #1215  |  Link
rack04

Is there a way to index only a specific number of frames?

For example:

I've set up a batch file which uses the WriteFile function in AviSynth to identify frame count, frame rate, width, and height of video streams. Currently, I index the entire h264 stream using DGAVCIndexNV, create a AviSynth script, and then feed the AviSyth script to ffmpeg to generate the WriteFile text file. Ideally, I'd like to specify just a few frames to index so this process is quicker. Though I don't know if this is even possible. Thanks.

Code:
"%DGAVCIndexNV_PATH%" -i "%INPUT_VIDEO%" -o "%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-output.dga" -e -h

Echo LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\DGAVCIndexNV\DGAVCDecodeNV.dll")>"%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-analyze.avs"
Echo AVCSource("%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-output.dga")>>"%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-analyze.avs"
Echo WriteFile("%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-framecount.txt","Framecount")>>"%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-analyze.avs"
Echo WriteFile("%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-framerate.txt","Framerate")>>"%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-analyze.avs"
Echo WriteFile("%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-width.txt","Width")>>"%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-analyze.avs"
Echo WriteFile("%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-height.txt","Height ")>>"%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-analyze.avs"
goto ffmpeg

:ffmpeg
"%ffmpeg_PATH%" -i "%WORKING_DIRECTORY%\%OUTPUT_FILENAME%-analyze.avs"
goto end
Old 10th May 2009, 15:40   #1216  |  Link
yesgrey

Feature request: is it possible for you to include in the log file a small list (the higher 5) with the number of the frames that have the maximum bitrate? The higher the bitrate, the more complex the frames should be, so these frames should be a good reference when we are trying to find the apropriate encoding settings...
Old 12th May 2009, 14:13   #1217  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

According to the doc for the command line use :

Quote:
-o filename Name of output index file, including the .dga extension.
it seems that this is not the case with both DGAVCIndex(NV) tools...I tried:
Code:
DGAVCIndexNV.exe -i "E:\myfile.ts" -o "E:\myfile" -a -e -h
and dga file extension is missing. On the other hand, if I specify dga file extension for output,
Code:
DGAVCIndexNV.exe -i "E:\myfile.ts" -o "E:\myfile.dga" -a -e -h
audio streams extracted have this extension in their file names. This is not the case for DGindex...

Is this intentional ?
Old 12th May 2009, 14:34   #1218  |  Link

You're supposed to include the .dga but if it then appears in the audio filename, then it's a bug. I'll fix it.
Old 12th May 2009, 14:42   #1219  |  Link
Kurtnoise
Swallowed in the Sea

Just to be clearer about audio streams...I've got this by example :
Code:
myfile.dga PID bc5 L2 2ch 48 160 DELAY -424ms.mp2
Should be better like this:
Code:
myfile PID bc5 L2 2ch 48 160 DELAY -424ms.mp2
This occurs only using command line, of course.

Old 14th May 2009, 18:45   #1220  |  Link
D-Train

Has anyone got DGAVCDecNV working with an onboard video card?

I'm looking to pair a mobo w/ onboard GeForce 8200 with an X4 920 2.8GHz processor.

The Nvidia site seems to indicate it would be supported:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

One of my requirements for the new build is to frameserve AVC content. A main source for my content are Dish Network captures and I always had problems with the PAFF encoding with DGAVCDec, although I admit I haven't checked for awhile. It sounds like DXVA has better PAFF handling than libavcodec.

Thanks!
Closed Thread