Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 9th November 2015, 11:55   #1  |  Link
f4lls

3D bluray remux vs 2D bluray remux

I have a 3D bluray remux disc and also 2D bluray version one. So i used makemkv to remux 3D bluray disc to mkv file and did the same with 2D bluray disc.

I knew 3D mkv remux will also contain and could play in 2D version but i wonder the quality of 2D in 3D mkv

if i remux to 2D mkv from 3D mkv, what is different from quality between these two 2D versions? Will they the same quality?

actually i did test on size but they got similar size (if not say they're same size) but i'm not for sure they're the same quality?

can someone explain? tks.
f4lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 13:28   #2  |  Link
huhn

depends on the encode and they could be mastered differently.

the 2D version should be better than the 3D version used as 2D if they have the same size.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 15:57   #3  |  Link
f4lls

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
depends on the encode and they could be mastered differently.

the 2D version should be better than the 3D version used as 2D if they have the same size.
they're all remux, not encoded. I was told 2D remux in 2D bluray disc is better than 2D in 3D bluray disc but have no clues why. Makemkv actually don't impact to the sources.
f4lls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 17:13   #4  |  Link
huhn

all BD are encode. this has nothing to do with remuxing.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2015, 18:54   #5  |  Link
Sparktank
47.952fps@71.928Hz

It's common to see 3D blurays to have variable black bars on the sides to increase 3d parallax.
Usually the black bar is on the left, and can skew angle.
On the actual 2D disc (not 3D with the left-eye/avc), there won't be missing image data.

Some 3D movies are opened up to open matte (1.78:1 on BD).
Jumper (2008) is originally 2.35 : 1, but the post-production conversion to have it on 3D-BD, it was changed to 1.78:1.
That would defy the director's intended aspect ratio, if you swing that way.

Some movies oversaturate the colors and really tweak the brightness levels.
The brightness issue was observed greatly in the third Transformers movie: Dark of the Moon. The 3D-BD for Transformers: Dark of the Moon came in too dark for most home consumers.
Michael Bay supervised the 3D-BD transfer and said it was accurately transferred to disc.
According to Bay, most home consumer TV's weren't created to display such accuracy, thus giving wrong perception of brightness.
Which probably led studios to oversaturating and brightening movies like Guardians of the Galaxy.

It's really different for every movie.
You'd have to sit through both viewings to actually see if there is a difference in quality.
If you have to change your display or playback device once, then that's the not the version of the movie for you.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.4GHz (6c/12th, I'm on AVX2 now!)
Sparktank is offline   Reply With Quote