Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 21st January 2006, 16:51   #221  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@Richard: if you're going to use List instead of ArrayList (no objections to that at all.. I'm glad we can remove them one by one.. ), why not go all the way and get rid of all the casts that are no longer necessary?
Old 21st January 2006, 17:19   #222  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

What casts? Maybe the patch didn't work correctly...here's that function:
Code:
private AudioStream[] getConfiguredAudioJobs()
		{
            List<AudioStream> list = new List<AudioStream>();
			foreach (AudioStream stream in audioStreams)
			{
                if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(stream.path))
                {
                    // no audio is ok, just skip
                    break;
                }
                string settingsError = stream.isEncodable();
                if (settingsError != null)
                {
                    MessageBox.Show(settingsError, "Unsupported audio configuration", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Stop);
                    break;
                }
				if (mp4Output.Checked)
				{
					if (stream.isMP4Muxable())
						list.Add(stream);
				}
				else if (aviOutput.Checked)
				{
					if (stream.isAVIMuxable())
					{
						list.Add(stream);
						break; // only one avi stream is allowed
					}
				}
				else if (mkvOutput.Checked)
				{
					if (stream.isMuxable())
					{
						list.Add(stream);
					}
				}
			}
            return list.ToArray();
		}
The List<> is a local variable -- I didn't change the method signature -- so casting elsewhere in the program isn't affected.
Old 21st January 2006, 17:22   #223  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

hmm.. looks like somebody already did quite a bit of cleaning up.. I don't recall using the ToArray function at all. I only had a look at the patch, not the result of applying it, sorry.
Old 21st January 2006, 17:24   #224  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

ToArray() is in the patch
Old 21st January 2006, 17:29   #225  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. it looks like it's all good then. And as far as the audio config goes in the main screen.. I think we can do away with the mp3 limitation.. just offer both configurations and in case of avi output, the second stream will be dumped (with a message to the log perhaps.. or display a message to the user).

I was also thinking about a feature that might be useful: warn the user if his job is likely to fill up his HD. It doesn't have to be an accurate size prediction.. but if a simplified calculation returns that the output might become too big.. it might not hurt to be warned (especially some people with PCs that have no business encoding AVC since they're too slow, are willing to wait for days for an encode to complete).
Old 21st January 2006, 17:31   #226  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

Sounds good. A rough check can't hurt, so long as you can override it.
Old 21st January 2006, 19:34   #227  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

I really wish I could give a better but report than I'm about to but I don't have alot of information due to the nature of the bug.

MeGUI freezes when trying to load the avs it creates in the pre-render step.
The AVI is 19GB and is unloadable in any player. The created avs also crashes vdubmod and virtualdub(stable).

That's all the info I can give cause no output is given to logs and no error message is displayed.
Old 21st January 2006, 22:32   #228  |  Link
berrinam

I've updated the bug list at the beginning of the thread. I'm not sure of the status of these, so I listed all the new ones as not yet solved.

@ChronoCross: Do you have the newest build of mencoder? What is the error when trying to load the avi with vdubmod?
Old 21st January 2006, 23:08   #229  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrinam
I've updated the bug list at the beginning of the thread. I'm not sure of the status of these, so I listed all the new ones as not yet solved.

@ChronoCross: Do you have the newest build of mencoder? What is the error when trying to load the avi with vdubmod?
yeah first time around I used C_D's build. Then I built my own copy of it and ran the test again using the cvs from today.

MeGUI and vdubmod don't give an error with the avs. When I load the .avi straight into vdub mod it says the following:

"Reconstructing missing block index (Aggressive mode)"

After reconstruction:
[!] AVI: Index not found or damaged -- reconstructing via file scan.

[!] AVI: Keyframe flag reconstruction was not specified in open options and
the video stream is not a known keyframe-only type. Seeking in the video
stream may be extremely slow.
Old 21st January 2006, 23:14   #230  |  Link
berrinam

Weird.... I got that same problem with VDubMod, when I was testing with mencoder output. Then I added the commandline switches, --noodml --forceidx, and it was fixed. It sounds like you have the opposite problem. I'm not convinced as to the reliability of mencoder for large files, but I stuck with it because I didn't think it was worth adding another dependancy. Perhaps mencoder shouldn't be used...
Old 22nd January 2006, 04:33   #231  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Do you think we could do x264 lossless rather than huffy? The load it in DirectShowSource with a known fps? I know this presents a problem in terms of vfr but for cfr it would be an possible solution.
Old 22nd January 2006, 05:35   #232  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoCross
Do you think we could do x264 lossless rather than huffy? The load it in DirectShowSource with a known fps? I know this presents a problem in terms of vfr but for cfr it would be an possible solution.
It's a possibility. However, the problem is speed, as x264 is quite slow when compared to huffyuv. I suppose with most options disabled, it wouldn't be so bad, though.

No matter which codec is used, though, there is still the problem of a hidden dependancy on being able to play H264 files. I'm not even sure that MeGUI has any way of checking that except .... oops, getting carried away again. I suppose that it could be tried.

[OT]My idea when getting carried away is that as well as doing a check for all required programs (which has been suggested somewhere), MeGUI could also create a few dummy scripts/clips to see whether they could be rendered, eg it could create a blank yv12 avs script to see if it can be loaded, and it could create a blank lossless x264 clip to see if it can be directshowsource'd. If not, MeGUI should download and install CoreAVC+Haali. Ah well, this is the wrong thread for that, and it's not going to happen until autoonlineupdate is supported.[/OT]
Old 22nd January 2006, 08:39   #233  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

h.264 lossless is not that efficient. I mean, entirely aside from being abominally slow to encode and play, it's only slightly smaller than lagarith (that's on my filtered anime, but I've heard it's even worse with rl) with every x264 quality setting maxed out. (Encoding time 30x lags.) With most options disabled it's actually usually larger than lags and huffy, and still slower.
Old 22nd January 2006, 09:35   #234  |  Link
berrinam

The efficiency is not the point. If you have enough space to losslessly compress, and be able to account for variances in compressibility, it really doesn't matter how efficient it is. However, speed is of course important, and, as you said, it IS slower. The real reason why x264 lossless is worth considering for MeGUI is that the output files _work_, whereas that doesn't seem to be certain with mencoder.
Old 22nd January 2006, 10:19   #235  |  Link
ChronoCross
Does it really matter?

Well I finished another test using ffdshow to encode the Huffy AVI. It was 26GB rather than the 19 of the mencoder version. There were no avi errors and it loaded perfectly in Megui. Seems mencoder has a problem with huffy or with avi itself when doing large files. ffdshow to huffy is another idea to consider.
Old 22nd January 2006, 11:08   #236  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Seems mencoder has a problem with huffy or with avi itself when doing large files. ffdshow to huffy is another idea to consider.
I think avi is the culprit, I've seen similar report for > 4 GB XviD output. I'm hoping encraw won't have these problems. Has anybody tried ffmpeg? I'm about to look into it for muxing (mencoder's raw -> avi muxing has issues as well). I don't think x264 lossless would be a good idea either.. there's no avi output so you'd have to open the input via directshowsource and that's where parser issues enter the game.
Old 22nd January 2006, 14:01   #237  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...934#post772934
and the following posts.

Sorry, I was in a hurry: problem is that command-line inloop filter settings are incorrectly generated.

Last edited by foxyshadis; 22nd January 2006 at 23:31.
Old 22nd January 2006, 17:36   #238  |  Link
Richard Berg
developer wannabe

mencoder doesn't like my slow AVS scripts, period. It quits before the first frame is returned, saying it can't figure out the input format. Works fine with simple test scripts in the same rez/colorspace.
Old 22nd January 2006, 19:54   #239  |  Link
Razorholt
Cyberspace Citizen

Bug: The small arrows for the "Birate Variance" don't increase/decrease the values well... unless I'm wrong?

- Dan
Old 22nd January 2006, 20:49   #240  |  Link
puffpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorholt
Bug: The small arrows for the "Birate Variance" don't increase/decrease the values well... unless I'm wrong?

- Dan
Happens to me too..but only in certain situations

If you open the bitrate calc and use the arrows, it works.
However, if you start changing numbers manually (maybe even start changing other fields in different parts of that window) And then go back to the up and down arrows, they don't work anymore
Closed Thread