Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Closed Thread

Old 16th July 2010, 19:34   #21  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post
Here`s a evolved version, i did today
Colors indeed too contrasting, but IMO this is right direction. and buttons... we won't look at them all the time, but only in windowed mode or in fullscreen when interface appears. Current amount of buttons is just fine.
Old 16th July 2010, 19:48   #22  |  Link
pankov

GTPVHD,
it's not fair to compare the playlist/albumlist view of WMP12 and the empty view of MPC.
It's an absolutely different story if you compare the view of WMP12 when it plays a movie.
I personally don't use WMP but I have to admit that I like it new look - with the transparent seekbar and controls ... well there is much to be desired but you have to admit it looks good, something I can't say about MPC's '98 look.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:00   #23  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

If we talking about list view... Personally i don't need it but I can see that people very often asks for more advanced playlist or even library.

Let's see my comparison:
MPC-HC vs. WMP

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 16th July 2010 at 20:08.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:00   #24  |  Link
GreenEyez

I didn`t have the chance to fine tune the colors, especially the top menu ones are bright as hell. I`ll run it through PS and fix those. As for the buttons, they are exact the same number of buttons as MPC-HC currently has (top and down menu), and 3 more for subtitle/audio/chapter switching in the down menu. Actually, the pause button is missing.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:41   #25  |  Link
Hypernova

For reference, here is what WMP12 looks like when playing video. Note that all the control can be autohide.

@nevcairiel Thank you for the info. Looks like it's really hopeless.

Still, I think if someone are going to do it, I think replacing the button, seekbar, etc. with Windows' UI is the way to go. Any "unique" GUI will alienate at least half the MPC-HC users.
Old 16th July 2010, 20:49   #26  |  Link
apathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury_22 View Post
Just a thought: wouldn't be nice to leave everything as it is except make the controls bar autohide in windowed mode too and make it transparent, ( the background not the buttons aka controls ! WMP 12 "style")?

P.S. I'm just asking ! is it difficult to apply the autohide function to the windowed mode too?
If it's currently impossible to skin the ui, is this possible? This would be perfect! The autohide controls is one of the things I love about WMP12 because the player looks extremely clean while keeping the functionality.
Old 16th July 2010, 22:28   #27  |  Link
Px
>>^^__^^<<

Looking on iface proposals from previous page, 10x for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
And no, G.U.I. doesn't stand for "Gay User Interface".
Old 16th July 2010, 22:50   #28  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPVHD View Post
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Windows_7.png

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...screenshot.png

Anyone actually uses WMP12? Cluttered, messy, buttons everywhere. Contrast that with MPC-HC, clean, uncluttered and logically designed(I know it's a Gabest MPC screenshot but MPC-HC looks the same).
@GTPVHD I was referring as pankov said to "the view of WMP12 when it plays a movie"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pankov View Post
GTPVHD,
it's not fair to compare the playlist/albumlist view of WMP12 and the empty view of MPC.
It's an absolutely different story if you compare the view of WMP12 when it plays a movie.
I personally don't use WMP but I have to admit that I like it new look - with the transparent seekbar and controls ... well there is much to be desired but you have to admit it looks good, something I can't say about MPC's '98 look.
Which one looks more "Cluttered, messy, buttons everywhere" now?

I still think that to make the controls bar autohide in windowed mode too it will do much good without much trouble for MPC-HC's GUI

P.S. And maybe for "Caption&Menu" bar too (autohide)

Last edited by Mercury_22; 16th July 2010 at 23:16.
Old 16th July 2010, 23:22   #29  |  Link
GreenEyez

The auto-hide option is one of the things i also support in my GUI design, the top menu (play/open/navigation etc.) should pop up when you hover the mouse over it.

Anyway, i added a brushed titanium layer under the menu bar, it makes it look better and reduces the glossy effect, made the Play/Pause button WMP12 style. reduced the brighteness of the buttons to the ones used by WMP12 and Windows for better integration and redesigned the top menu ones. I`ll post it tomorrow since i still want to tweak some details.

Should i use the same seek bar as WMP ?
Old 16th July 2010, 23:26   #30  |  Link
GreenEyez

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPVHD View Post
WMP12 is cluttered and messy in its default view and in the "lite" view, having a menu bar where everything is logically accessible is more important. Try figuring out how to open a file in WMP12's "lite" view if you're not so tech savvy. Usability sacrificed for the sake of looking "modern", ugh.
It`s default view offers functionality for Libraries, Streaming/Play To other devices, some of us have entire movie collections / music collections and hundreds of photos so Libraries are a must.

And even so, my design and the request of other are to auto-hide the top menu, NOT to remove it. It should pop-up when you hover the mouse over that section. No functionality reduced, but better looking GUI, more cleaner.

Last edited by GreenEyez; 16th July 2010 at 23:28.
Old 17th July 2010, 00:00   #31  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

The bottom line is that WMP12, GOMPlayer, KMPlayer, etc. are all ugly as sin and look like digital replicas of something you might have ripped out of an "audiophile"'s Kliptsch dashboard unit in the late 90s. Not an example to emulate. IMO, anybody that wants the bloated GUI design paradigm to reign over usability should look elsewhere. Here's to keeping MPC-HC simple and not cluttering it up with ZOMGEYECANDY.
Old 17th July 2010, 00:09   #32  |  Link
dbone1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
The bottom line is that WMP12, GOMPlayer, KMPlayer, etc. are all ugly as sin and look like digital replicas of something you might have ripped out of an "audiophile"'s Kliptsch dashboard unit in the late 90s. Not an example to emulate. IMO, anybody that wants the bloated GUI design paradigm to reign over usability should look elsewhere. Here's to keeping MPC-HC simple and not cluttering it up with ZOMGEYECANDY.
The challenge is that everyone is going to have their own opinion of what looks good/bad. One thing I would say is that adding some features/design doesn't necessarily mean it is bloat. I think there can be a compromise between keeping the simple/clutter free approach while adding some more design features to enhance user interaction.

Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
MSS.net blog (contributing editor) - http://www.mediasmartserver.net
Old 17th July 2010, 00:15   #33  |  Link
pankov

guys,
as I see it this conversation is meaningless at present. I doubt any developer will invest time in it in the next couple of months.
GreenEyez,
I like your passion and will to make a nice GUI but I doubt your work will see real usage in the near future.
Let's focus on the present tasks and problems so we can have a perfect playback and then improve ... or better say - rewrite ... the whole user interface.
Old 17th July 2010, 05:13   #34  |  Link
roytam1
Firefox User

IMHO MPC-HC stands for "Media Player Classic - Homecinema" which should keep it in classical(MFC) feel and for those who wants something skinny should use splayer instead.

Last edited by roytam1; 17th July 2010 at 05:15.
Old 17th July 2010, 07:01   #35  |  Link
Astrophizz

Uh, I would avoid splayer :/ Besides a lack of user control with it, it also does wacky stuff to people's systems.
Old 17th July 2010, 10:52   #36  |  Link
Betsy25

@GreenEyez

No hard feelings, but I'm sorry to say your proposed "GUI's" are utter garbage. Why not keep it readible like it is now ?

Why everyone want every application to be a colourbook when your have to wear 3+ glasses to be able to read buttons/text ???
Old 17th July 2010, 12:42   #37  |  Link
GreenEyez

I`ve upped the text to 14-16 in the meantime, if you still can`t read it, then no offence, but you do need glasses. I can now read the text from 3 meters away (the image gets resized when posting, so the text is a little fuzzy due to the resizing though)

Last edited by GreenEyez; 17th July 2010 at 13:21.
Old 17th July 2010, 13:09   #38  |  Link
GreenEyez

roytam1 - Splayer is nice but i doesn`t hold a dime at MPC-HC. IMO, MPC-HC is the ultimate player (great PQ due to very good filters/decoders, supports for lots of renderers , good useful features) in my opinion, except for the GUI. Having visited AVS forum and other audio-video forums for some time, i`ve never heard of somebody actually liking the Win95 theme....
Old 17th July 2010, 13:24   #39  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez View Post
I`ve upped the text to 14-16 in the meantime, if you still can`t read it, then no offence, but you do need glasses. I can now read the text from 3 meters away (the image gets resized when posting, so the text is a little fuzzy due to the resizing though)
Much better except the shape of the blue buttons (and maybe the color) also make the speaker button look more like a "speaker" (maybe add more circles inside?) But all in all what's the point since nobody (no dev) will change the GUI?
Old 17th July 2010, 14:21   #40  |  Link
MPC-HTPC

IMHO I prefer MPC-HC's many options and functions over a nicer GUI, since the actual one absolutely serves it purpose!

However, I got a question about commit 2125 "Change : show filename in OSD at open, instead "Pause/Play";" - Why do not keep the pause/play in OSD? I understand that this could be of benefit, when having several files in the playlist. But when I just open a file out of Explorer or like XBMC/MediaPortal I only open one file after the other and would prefer to just see play/pause in OSD. Could this be toggled depending on the case (many files in playlist or just one)?

Neverthesless, thank you very much to all the developers for all the effort you put into MPC-HC and all the good work!
Closed Thread

Tags
mpc-hc