Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 14th October 2017, 10:31   #1  |  Link
mbcd

Suggestions for "true" BluRay subtitle editor

Hi guys

As mentioned in some other thread I am ---trying--- to do a more accurate editor / creator for BluRay subtitles, using some more effects it has to offer.
Dont forget to mention the word "trying", time is always a critical factor, so it can take a long time until I have someting to show.

Basically I am stucking at the basics, so I thought it is nice to ask you how you would like to use it.
Of course there are some strong limitations in BluRay-Specifications, so not everything is possible.

Basically I wanna do it like some "SRT" to Bluray editor. Taking text as input and creating the subs.
So there are some questions that are important.
I do not have any official specifications, but it should be possible to use up to 4 captions at the same time (with some limitations).

So using more than one caption at a time is a big difference to all other programs that already handle subtitles.
I need some suggestions how you would like to have a program that can handle this. It also should be as easy and comfortable as possible, a "hard" way I know already, but I dont wanna do that, that would be the easiest way for me, but the hardest for you, very uncomfortable.

Remember that you can choose Textfonts, Textsizes, Textcolor and some other of that "regular" options to format each text. And you should always remember that you have to position each text on screen.
Also importing OCR`d text is some important point, which text-format to take, which saves positions, which save text-styles ?
Use one textfile per "all up to 4 captions at a time" or use one caption for each of the four seperated ?

How to use multiple captions on a screen ?
How to signal "forced" subtitles ?

So you see there are many questions, I would like to let this thread to collect some ideas. I will try to find out which one will work and what is possible. I need some of these ideas to do my basic structure, until that problems are solved, I cant take the next step, because changes always takes lots of additional time.

I also play to export ripped sup als xml+png for all available captions (not like "BDSup2Sub" which ignores multiple captions.
Also some basic actions are possible on plain "sup", without doing OCR first and using text, but UI is only for text-input.

OCR is not on my list.

So feel free to give some hints, links, ideas ans suggestions, thow in what you think, your wishes ...
But as I said in the beginning, there is no guarantee for anything.

I do not have an internet-connection for sure for the next one or two weeks, so feel free to "spam" here.

Last edited by mbcd; 14th October 2017 at 10:37.
mbcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2017, 20:56   #2  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Neither in BDSup2Sub nor in other tools exists an option to read Bluray-Sup's directly from the m2ts files, and the extraction of the forced sups only.
The sups must first always extracted from the m2ts files.
Your tool should also run on Linux and should have CLI support.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2017, 11:27   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I am wishing this for years.

However, editing BD subs is a difficult task, for the specs allows for a huge set of options and variables (eg each subtitle has its own pallete, own effects and so on)

And the fact that most people for reasons I cannot follow seems to like (and consequently spend efforts) in SRT and other formats that go along with a main file.
Old 18th October 2017, 09:21   #4  |  Link
jpsdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
And the fact that most people for reasons I cannot follow seems to like (and consequently spend efforts) in SRT and other formats that go along with a main file.
Because not all players can display Blu-Ray subtitle format, but SRT yes.
For exemple, i have a friend of mine who use the internal player of his TV, and the player is not able to display blu-ray subtitle format.
The answer is simple as that.
jpsdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 10:03   #5  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
Because not all players can display Blu-Ray subtitle format, but SRT yes.
For exemple, i have a friend of mine who use the internal player of his TV, and the player is not able to display blu-ray subtitle format.
The answer is simple as that.
You should change your video-player or TV.
Old 19th October 2017, 12:52   #6  |  Link
jpsdr

I'm sure he will love this kind of answer... Will you provide him the money to change his TV ?
You can ask people to adjust to you, or you can adjust to people.
I'll not tell which one is better, because i don't think there is one better than another, it's a personnal mater of choice, and personnaly i'm doing both. Sometimes i adjust, sometime not, so i'll will not say that one is better than another.
Just if you choose to not adjust to people, remind that they may not want adjust to you, and in that case look for something else.
And not all people have HW player solution able to display PGS/Blu-Ray subtitles, i've realised that when giving to several friends a files with such subtitles, and almost half of them said "Subtitles are not displayed".

Last edited by jpsdr; 19th October 2017 at 12:57.
Old 19th October 2017, 13:36   #7  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsdr View Post
And not all people have HW player solution able to display PGS/Blu-Ray subtitles, i've realised that when giving to several friends a files with such subtitles, and almost half of them said "Subtitles are not displayed".
Have they tried a bluray player?
Old 20th October 2017, 09:53   #8  |  Link
jpsdr

They don't have. I've been surprised to see how much few people have Blu-Ray player, and see a french anime reseler said that the Blu-Ray/DVD ratio sell is 30% Blu-Ray, 70% DVD. I didn't thought Blu-Ray was so little.
But i'll stop, this is begining to be a little off topic...
Old 20th October 2017, 10:21   #9  |  Link
Ghitulescu

The point was actually that it is <you put the 4letter word here that you like the most> to ask for a software to produce a result that is not used according to the standard required for the software

It was like asking for a DVD-subtitle software able to yield subtitles usable with an AVI-file.

Such software exists for long, starting probably with Notepad and ending with Lemony. I mean that process text files.

What it is missing is one software that is similar to DVDSubEdit. So far, several software approached it from different directions (easySUP can transform SRT into BDsups, BDSup2Sub does rudimentary jobs upon demuxed BDsups, Subtitle Edit performs other simple jobs upon BD sups).

Each of them have bugs and things to pay attention to.
Old 1st November 2017, 12:12   #10  |  Link
mbcd

That was a long time without internet, I hate these weeks ...
First: Thanks for all of your replies, very appreciated!

@hubblec4:
Yeah, I thought on some demuxer also, I started one now, but I dont have any specifications, so it takes some time to get all info together.
The first code I have still works, but doesnt do very much, but its a beginning.

Linux will be hard, right now I am only able to do C#, maybe I learn something more in my computer science studies, but I cant say that for sure, lets see what comes with time.

CPLI and MPLS parsing I have already done in past, so I have some code for that, but its old ones, has to get renewed and optimized.

@Ghitulescu:
Yes its a lot of stuff you can do with it, but this makes the program harder to use.
So I planned to do some more basic stuff only, not the full feature palette of feature, still have no official documentation for PGS.
But along with that, I plan to do more like a text-to-PGS-thing, combined with some basic features for the graphical parts (extract forced subs, ..) without changing the existing graphics (like recoloring, ...). Such features that are mostly used, there are still features missing no program can deliver, but I need them sometimes.

So there is basically the need of a text-plain format that has OCRd text, data and "effects" (fade-in-out), also color, textfont, textsize, ...

I think that it is better to use an already existing format for doing that, like .SSA (.ASS), this should combine all those features if I am right.

I never used DVDSubEdit, so I dont see a feature that makes sence to use, will have spent time to invest what it can do and what makes sense to use for PGS too.

@jpsdr:
This is because the TV is not capable to play blurays, every bluray-specified player can do that, these "multimedia-TVs" cant do that normally, because of licensing-costs.

As said: any hints or feature requests are welcome ... maybe I do some collaboration with Nikse555 on some later progress.

Last edited by mbcd; 1st November 2017 at 12:14.
mbcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2021, 20:49   #11  |  Link
an3k

Have I missed the release of this or is the project dead?
an3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2021, 10:45   #12  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

mbcd has never released something.
Old 10th August 2021, 01:57   #13  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
However, editing BD subs is a difficult task, for the specs allows for a huge set of options and variables (eg each subtitle has its own pallete, own effects and so on)
The PGS format that Blu-ray uses for subtitles is the most convoluted format I have ever encountered.

We should only need four things for a subtitle format like PGS:

1. Timestamp of when the image goes up.
2. Duration of the image.
3. Position of the image.
4. Image pixel data.

Instead, PGS gives us this:

We define an epoch as image data (or multiple pieces of data) that go up on the screen. To do this, we define window regions within the screen. We then compose objects inside of these windows. Of course, we don't have to do the whole object, we can just do part of an object. We can also update the contents of a window after its been shown mid-epoch. As such, we may have a single long caption, so we'll show part of it in the window for one duration, and then the other part of the image in that window for the other duration. We can also update an image's palette mid-epoch. And we're not supposed to reposition windows mid-epoch, but it's completely possible. We can also define that a whole new image replaces a previous image. And if we have an image that's like 23,121 by 23,313 big, we can span it across two separate images.

And there's more, but I'm just done. PGS is an atrocity on concise format design. Whoever came up with it is either incompetent, or had ulterior motives.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2021, 13:23   #14  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

The motives might have been such niceties of an animated timeline with moving counter, shadow, glare, any fx are all possible through that,
so I guess this is where major studios wanted to stand out and somebody couldn't say no.
Could have been me, BTW ;-)
I still find such artwork nice on proper Blu-rays, but I agree:
It must be a scripting nightmare if no full-fledged subtitle engine is at hand.
Old 11th August 2021, 16:57   #15  |  Link
wswartzendruber
hlg-tools Maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
It must be a scripting nightmare if no full-fledged subtitle engine is at hand.
I'm trying desperately to build one in Rust.
wswartzendruber is offline   Reply With Quote