Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 4th January 2019, 05:59   #421  |  Link
James Freeman

Thank you, that did the trick.
I had all internal filters disabled since I've used up-to-date LAV Filters.
Old 4th January 2019, 17:51   #422  |  Link
theultramage

I've been having a long-standing issue with mpc-hc. Normally it opens and seeks video instantly, but after certain uptime (1 day, 10 days, 30 days?) I get a 5-second loading lag where the entire desktop nearly freezes, and every seek takes 1 second. Switching output from EVR to default (or others without DXVA) halves these delays, but it's still noticeable. I have no idea how to even begin troubleshooting this. So far I only know that rebooting fixes it, until it happens again. Should I make a separate thread for my issue?

Win7 x64. Radeon RX 550 with driver 18.11.2 (2018-nov-19). Constantly open apps: Firefox 54, Steam, MPC-HC 1.8.4, Nox 6.1.1.0 (VirtualBox 5.1.14).
theultramage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 19:34   #423  |  Link
clsid

Disable hardware acceleration in the video decoder. It could be a driver bug or a memory leak somewhere. Try closing Firefox.

@James, if you delete the LAVFilters folder from MPC-HC, it will use your external copy for the internal stuff as well.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2019, 19:56   #424  |  Link
theultramage

Closing all running programs doesn't help. I tried fiddling with the decoder settings. I went from DXVA2 (native) to None, and then to NVIDIA. I also tried the default renderer again. No improvement. Then I flipped to DXVA2 (copy-back) and suddenly it recovered. I changed back to DXVA2 (native) and it remains working. So toggling things back and forth seems to have reset something. Next time it happens, I will try to identify which change exactly it was.

@James The advantage of the HTTP(S) filter is efficient direct streaming and seeking, all in-memory. The disadvantage... there used to be a problem with Youtube's idle timeout, but it seems that's now fixed, at least in youtube-dl.
The advantage of the File filter is having a local fully buffered copy. The disadvantage is that the entire video has to be downloaded to %temp% (unnecessary SSD wear), have to wait a while until you can start seeking, and if you seek twice into an unbuffered region, mpc-hc perma-hangs.

Last edited by theultramage; 4th January 2019 at 22:08.
Old 4th January 2019, 20:38   #425  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by theultramage View Post
Normally it opens and seeks video instantly, but after certain uptime (1 day, 10 days, 30 days?) I get a 5-second loading lag where the entire desktop nearly freezes, and every seek takes 1 second.
try CrystalDiskInfo
Old 7th January 2019, 04:15   #426  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Try this as well. Click View main menu, then Renderer Settings, then Reset, then try both Optimal and Default, and find out which is better. Then slowly re-pick previous personalized settings, and find out one by one which among them could be the potential culprit.
Wakaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 08:45   #427  |  Link
theultramage

Hum, renderer settings. I never touched those, however the settings "Vsync, Accurate Vsync" were enabled. Default is both off, optimal is "vsync off, accurate vsync, alternate vsync". I checked the descriptions at https://trac.mpc-hc.org/wiki/New_Renderer_Settings however I'm confused why 'vsync off' is the optimal state. Anyways, I'll add this to my testing list if/when the glitch happens again.
Old 7th January 2019, 09:17   #428  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
VSync

Can be used to disable VSync. This is not recommended normally, as disabling VSync will remove many stuttering and threading fixes. This item is only disabled for debugging purposes.
i clearly read this as on be default...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 13:27   #429  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

I remember now, I have somewhat similar experience. This is how it happens/happened to me. After viewing/opening many videos especially one after another (especially if you have let's say a 1 TB or 2 TB portable drive full of videos and you have all day or half to watch them), MPC-HC will gradually consume Windows 7's FREE memory. Open Windows Task Manager, go to Performance tab, then below the Physical Memory (MB) area, you'll see Free is almost zero or already zero. When that happens MPC-HC is in the state you described earlier. Especially if you have only a total of 4 GB memory modules. Thus I also need to restart Windows 7 too before. Logging off and back on may only free a little memory (check Performance tab again).

Such issue never manifested with MPC-HC when I was still at Windows XP even with 4GB memory, as in never. It happened after I switched to Windows 7. Right now I upgraded to 16 GB memory, thus it would take very long before the Free memory reaches zero, hence I almost don't experience the issue again.

If you don't have enough physical memory, then you have to free it yourself. My previous method was to use 7-Zip to ULTRA compress a movie file (around 900+ MB) into 7z format. Just allow 7-Zip to compress the huge movie file, then wait until 7-Zip is stucked at whatever percentage because there is no more enough memory. Then cancel. Free memory will be big again. Of course my 900+ MB movie file was applicable when I had only 4 GB memory back then.

Right now my method is to use the open-source MemPlus (by CodeDead, in GitHub) to free memory by one click (the "Clear memory" button).

Last edited by Wakaku; 7th January 2019 at 13:54.
Old 7th January 2019, 13:58   #430  |  Link
lvqcl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakaku View Post
After viewing/opening many videos especially one after another (especially if you have let's say a 1 TB or 2 TB portable drive full of videos and you have all day or half to watch them), MPC-HC will gradually consume Windows 7's FREE memory.
I suspect that it's just Windows caches files in memory. Usually it's good, and nothing to worry about.
lvqcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2019, 17:19   #431  |  Link
Wakaku
MKV and tools user

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvqcl View Post
I suspect that it's just Windows caches files in memory. Usually it's good, and nothing to worry about.
Indeed. Most definitely. I think it would also happen via usage of other programs until the Free memory reaches zero. But when that Free memeory reaches zero in Windows 7, for the earlier User and my past experience for MPC-HC's behavior in Windows 7 are somewhat alike.

Well, that was my story or scenario, wonder what would be his.
Old 7th January 2019, 18:52   #432  |  Link
theultramage

Nope, it's not a disk or memory usage thing (no disk activity during startup, plenty of ram to work with).
Yes the Vsync setting is supposed to toggle it 'on', so I'm baffled as to why both 'Reset to default' and 'Reset to optimal' leave this option unchecked.

I wouldn't be surprised if this issue is caused by some sort of communication stall between directx and the GPU driver. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Vsync option was the issue. Still, very odd that toggling the renderer mode back and forth made it recover.

I don't trust this GPU much. The overnight system assessment job would frequently crash the display driver and leave a striped pattern with background noise on the screen (https://imgur.com/a/VVM7Z9G) until I turned the scheduled task off. Currently if I leave more than one MPC-HC video instance paused overnight, sometimes one of them crashes.

Last edited by theultramage; 7th January 2019 at 18:54.
Old 7th January 2019, 20:24   #433  |  Link
clsid

I doubt it is related to VSync. Your driver is just crappy.

DWM (desktop composition) already does VSync on Win7+. The option in MPC has minimal effect.
Old 7th January 2019, 22:15   #434  |  Link
theultramage

Ha, classic theme disables desktop composition. And I'm not too happy with the latest official amd drivers either, but so far I haven't seen them misbehave in any other ways. Well, except the annoyance of the bloated RadeonSettings.exe staying resident after 'exiting' it.
Old 8th January 2019, 20:13   #435  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by theultramage View Post
Well, except the annoyance of the bloated RadeonSettings.exe staying resident after 'exiting' it.
Are you not able to set it to not start up with Windows via msconfig or the like?
2x2GB+2x1GB DDR3-1333 | 4x4GB DDR3-1600       
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2019, 19:10   #436  |  Link
NikosD

@clsid

Is there a way for MPC-HC v1.8.4 to register itself as the default program for every file (video, audio) supported by the app in Windows 10 October 2018 update ?

I mean to make it default for all supported formats at once, not file (format) by file (format).
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2019, 16:08   #437  |  Link
clsid

Start > run > ms-settings:defaultapps

There you can select MPC-HC as preferred audio and video player. that takes care of almost all supported extensions.
Old 11th January 2019, 16:14   #438  |  Link
huhn

mpc-hc doesn't get listed as a video player. music works fine
Old 11th January 2019, 16:21   #439  |  Link
clsid

Step 1:
MPC-HC options > Player > Formats > Run as admin and register the desired extensions

Step 2:
Set it as preferred in Windows settings
Old 11th January 2019, 16:33   #440  |  Link
huhn

well i fixed it by manually adding one video format to mpc-hc. it worked after that still inconvenient.

Quote:
Step 2:
Set it as preferred in Windows settings
if you mean default apps with this no running the admin thingy didn't changed anything for me.