Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th November 2012, 17:19   #1  |  Link
Lebowsky

MPC-HC / Radeon 3850 / DXVA / CoreAVC Setup Questions

Hi there,

if this message is in the wrong forum I apologize in advance, but it seemed to be the best fot fpr my problem.

I'm running a Windows XP SP3 Machine with an ATI Radeon HD 3850. CPU is a Pç 2.53GHz. Old but still running everything smoothly. For video playback, I have MPC-HC (last version), and CoreAVC, which is currently disabled. I have issues taking the best advantage of DXVA. Here are my problems:

Using VMR9 (Renderless), DXVA from MPC-HC:
- gpu decodable videos play fine, with the [DXVA] logo in MPC-HC
- non gpu-decodable videos (e.g. MPEG-4 1080p not encoded with h264), playback is awful. no [DXVA] logo

Using Overlay Mixer:
- both type of videos play more or less fine, but MPC-HC doesn't seem to enable DXVA, at least there is no [DXVA] logo

When enabling CoreAVC as external filter and disabling the MPC-HC h264 internal filter:

- When disabling DXVA, playback is catastrophic with VMR9 (as expected), and the same as MPC-HC with the Overlay Mixer
- When enabling DXVA in CoreAVC, the tray icon turns red but there is no image, the video is black with a with line a few pixels from the top, and sometimes if flashes black/white/grey.

Questions:
- Is DXVA only possible with VMR and not the Overlay Mixer? In the Output Configuration tab of MPC-HC, it seems to say the Overlay Mixer supports DXVA...
- Is it possible to choose to always user VMR9 + DXVA and to fallback to an other renderer, when DXVA in VMR is not possible?
- What's the matter with DXVA in CoreAVC? Compatibility issue with the Radeon 3850?

The videos that cannot be decoded using DXVA in MPC-HC are of the following type:

Quote:
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Codec ID : mp42
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Simple@L1
Format settings, BVOP : Yes
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Default
Codec ID : 20
Also, when CoreAVC is chosen as external filter, MPC-HC doesn't choose to use it to play those type of videos. Why? Am I missing a media type in the External Filter configuration?

Thanks in advance!
Lebowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 17:45   #2  |  Link
wanezhiling

DXVA is compatible with Overlay Mixer on XP, check Play->Filters->MPC Video Decoder.

CoreAVC need a legal key.

That file is MPEG4 part2, not MPEG4 part10(H.264 A.K.A)
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 18:08   #3  |  Link
Lebowsky

Ok, if I look at the Play->Filters->MPC Video Decoder, then it says DXVA is enabled. So I guess it's a bug in MPC-HC that doesn't show [DXVA] in the status bar?

So these MPEG-4 part 2 files cannot be hardware decoded at all? Or do they need a specific codec to be optimally played?

I have a CoreAVC key, and it works fine for everything except DXVA decoding. But it seems MPC-HC is better anyway.
Old 29th November 2012, 18:13   #4  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowsky View Post
So these MPEG-4 part 2 files cannot be hardware decoded at all? Or do they need a specific codec to be optimally played?
They can, but not with a 3850.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 18:21   #5  |  Link
wanezhiling

I dont know, no xp myself.

Nvidia VP4/5 and AMD UVD3.0 cards can decode those files. MPEG-4 part2 is so easy to handle, your cpu is too too slow.
wanezhiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 19:25   #6  |  Link
Lebowsky

Using the Overlay Mixer, those files are decoded ok, only not with VMR9. I guess I'll stick to the OVerlay Mixer then. Thanks!