Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 13th September 2008, 06:40   #21  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurry View Post
Thanks Mulder, I am trying out MeGUI right now. Never used Avisynth. Is there any automated program which can make a Avisynth file from an original mpg video source file or a batch of mpg files?

I just hope that someday I can publish one common x264 encoded video file which will play both in either Silverlight or Flash for the web and on the standalone Blu-ray players so that I don't have to maintain to big HD video files for each video I produce. As Dark Shikari said, if I use AC3 as the audio codec, it most probably will not play in Flash Player. What if I use Lame MP3 as the audio codec with x264 video? I guess the standalone Blu-ray players will have to eventually support mp3 to be backwards compatible to DVD players and they will also have to eventually support the MP4 container also as it most widely used, much more than m2ts. I will do some research on the future of mp4 container support in standalone Blu-ray players and see what I can come up with.
M2TS is much more widely used than MP4; it is basically the only format used for broadcast television. Also, DVDs didn't support MP3 as a format either.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 06:43   #22  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Is there any automated program which can make a Avisynth file from an original mpg video source file or a batch of mpg files?
Avisynth is a scripting language. So you don't convert your MPEG file to an Avisynth file, but you load the MPEG file in your Avisynth script.
To load an MPEG file in Avisynth you first index the MPEG file with DGIndex and the you load the index file (.d2v) with the MPEG2Source() command.

Here is a tutorial to Avisynth scripting:
http://labs.divx.com/node/6992#Section_3

DGIndex can be found here:
http://neuron2.net/dgmpgdec/dgmpgdec.html

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 13th September 2008 at 06:46.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 07:38   #23  |  Link
hurry

Quote:
Dark Shikari wrote: M2TS is much more widely used than MP4; it is basically the only format used for broadcast television.
Then I hope the m2ts container option is added to MeGUI real soon and also that Flash Player or Silverlight support m2ts playback pretty soon so that I can produce one x264 encoded m2ts file which will play on the web, on the standalone Blu-ray players and also for broadcast.

Quote:
Also, DVDs didn't support MP3 as a format either.
Ok. But when I burn a data DVD of mp3 files, they are detected and play in almost all DVD players in the market even the outdated ones. Is that because mp3 is supported inofficially?
hurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 07:46   #24  |  Link
hurry

Quote:
To load an MPEG file in Avisynth you first index the MPEG file with DGIndex and the you load the index file (.d2v) with the MPEG2Source() command.
Thanks Mulder. Will I need to make the .d2v index file with DGIndex, if I already have the NVIDIA PureVideo MPEG decoder already installed on the system?
Old 13th September 2008, 09:40   #25  |  Link
hurry

Oh I found the GUI MediaCoder which transcodes a mp4 or m2ts (.ts) with x264 video and lame mp3 audio. Even if I select the mp4 container for the encoded video, I can rename the final .mp4 file to .ts and it still plays fine in the VLC Player. If I encode to .ts and I rename it to .mp4, it still plays fine. Now the only thing left to check is if this .mp4 renamed as .ts plays on a standalone Blu-ray player with the lame mp3 codec for the audio and if the .ts renamed to .mp4 plays in the Adobe Flash Player. Oh, how I wish I had a Blu-ray player to check this! I am trying with lame mp3 audio with the x264 video since it has much more of playback on standalone Blu-ray players than aac since aac is also not officially supported. I have also found the MainConcept H.264 is nowhere close in quality to x.264.

Last edited by hurry; 13th September 2008 at 09:43.
Old 13th September 2008, 09:44   #26  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Oh I found the GUI MediaCoder which transcodes a mp4 or m2ts (.ts) with x264 video and lame mp3 audio. Even if I select the mp4 container for the encoded video, I can rename the final .mp4 file to .ts and it still plays fine in the VLC Player.
Well obviously, since VLC doesn't use the filename to determine what type of file it is. Renaming it doesn't magically change the file format!
Quote:
If I encode to .ts and I rename it to .mp4, it still plays fine. Now the only thing left to check is if this .mp4 renamed as .ts plays on a standalone Blu-ray player with the lame mp3 codec for the audio and if the .ts renamed to .mp4 plays in the Adobe Flash Player.
Somehow I doubt this
Quote:
I have also found the MainConcept H.264 is nowhere close in quality to x.264.
Surprise surprise
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 10:46   #27  |  Link
hurry

Will x264 video with ffmpeg AC3 audio in the .ts container burned as a data Blu-ray, properly play on standalone Blu-ray players? Mediacoder has an option for ffmpeg ac3 for audio. MeGUI has another Ac3 option in the form of Aften AC-3. What is difference in both AC3s? Are both AC3s Blu-ray compatible? Thanks.
Old 13th September 2008, 10:55   #28  |  Link
cmw

Under normal circumstances, it never matters which encoder you use to encode a certain format. There are rare exceptions when a encoder will not produce specification-compliant files, but you can expect that such an encoder would never be included in MeGui or any other popular GUI here on Doom9.
cmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2008, 15:22   #29  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Will I need to make the .d2v index file with DGIndex, if I already have the NVIDIA PureVideo MPEG decoder already installed on the system?
Yes! There is absolutely no relation between DGIndex/MPEG2Source and "NVIDIA PureVideo MPEG decoder".
MEPG2Source() has got it's own "built-in" MEPG-2 decoder, no additional software is required/used. Simply open the index file (as created by DGIndex) and that's it!
Try to avoid DirectShowSource(), unless there is no other way...