Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 30th April 2015, 03:38   #1941  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM View Post
I will try to replicate it again using the same video as soon as I wake up.
I can't replicate this problem. I've just let it play for 1 1/2 hours without any problems on two separate and differently spec'ed machines.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 03:39   #1942  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Like I said, MPDN should be agnostic to the type of renderscripts.
Fair enough. Just figured it might make things a bit easier to find/select for some users. BTW, any plans to stick player controls (pause, play, stop) into FSE mode?

Quote:
I can't replicate this problem. I've just let it play for 1 1/2 hours without any problems on two separate and differently spec'ed machines.
Did you use the same chain he was using?

Enabling Anti-ringing with SuperChromaRes seems to be shifting the chroma, I don't get the same shift enabling anti-ringing when SuperChromaRes isn't enabled.

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th April 2015 at 04:59.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 08:53   #1943  |  Link
Belphemur
MPDN Extensions Dev

For those using the OpenSubtitles Extension, I added the possibility to chose a preferred language in the Configuration Window.

The extension will automatically filter the available subtitle and show only the one in the preferred language. If there isn't any subtitle available in that language, it will show all the available subtitles.
Belphemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 11:14   #1944  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Enabling Anti-ringing with SuperChromaRes seems to be shifting the chroma, I don't get the same shift enabling anti-ringing when SuperChromaRes isn't enabled.
Is that with the latest version? There was a bug which caused problems when shifting the image when anti-ringing was enabled, although I'm not sure how this would affect SuperChromaRes.
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2015, 11:34   #1945  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Is that with the latest version? There was a bug which caused problems when shifting the image when anti-ringing was enabled, although I'm not sure how this would affect SuperChromaRes.
Yup .11 with latest scripts.
Old 30th April 2015, 11:54   #1946  |  Link
Zachs

Just to clarify, when you said "enabling anti-ringing with SuperChromaRes", do you mean anti-ringing in SuperChromaRes or MPDN's Luma Upscaler anti-ringing?
Old 30th April 2015, 11:56   #1947  |  Link
ryrynz

The luma upscaler, SuperChromaRes has anti-ringing enabled by default. Wait on, it ain't doing it with Lanczos.. could just be Jinc. Actually can't duplicate it now.. weird.

Pretty sure I had superChromaRes disabled when I thought it was enabled when screening, hence the shift. Enabling SuperChromaRes does make a hell of a difference..

Last edited by ryrynz; 30th April 2015 at 12:23.
Old 30th April 2015, 12:45   #1948  |  Link
Zachs

Quote:
BTW, any plans to stick player controls (pause, play, stop) into FSE mode?
Yes, but a very low priority one - takes a lot of time and effort for minor convenience.

Last edited by Zachs; 30th April 2015 at 13:07.
Old 30th April 2015, 23:14   #1949  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
The luma upscaler, SuperChromaRes has anti-ringing enabled by default. Wait on, it ain't doing it with Lanczos.. could just be Jinc. Actually can't duplicate it now.. weird.

Pretty sure I had superChromaRes disabled when I thought it was enabled when screening, hence the shift. Enabling SuperChromaRes does make a hell of a difference..
Oh well, SuperChromaRes and ChromaScaler now use the same chroma offset as MPDN's chroma scalers. So those kind of issues shouldn't happen again. If you do notice a shift in chroma again then something went wrong.

Edit: Also found some bugs, the SuperRes dialog wasn't displaying the hotkey and NNEDI3 shifted the chroma. Should be fixed soon.

Last edited by Shiandow; 30th April 2015 at 23:24.
Old 1st May 2015, 01:44   #1950  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
Edit: Also found some bugs, the SuperRes dialog wasn't displaying the hotkey and NNEDI3 shifted the chroma. Should be fixed soon.
Cool. Are the defaults for SuperChromaRes what you would recommend for the most accurate chroma? Also do you have any test patterns at all?
Old 1st May 2015, 08:29   #1951  |  Link
Zachs

Oh thiat reminds me. You can change the default chroma offsets in MPDN's config file. At least until someone creates a player extension that does this in a more use friendly manne.
Old 1st May 2015, 09:38   #1952  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Oh thiat reminds me. You can change the default chroma offsets in MPDN's config file. At least until someone creates a player extension that does this in a more use friendly manne.
doesn't it read chromaloc from x264?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 11:16   #1953  |  Link
Zachs

Any info on where I can retrieve that chromaloc from the file?

EDIT: It would appear that is x264 specific isn't it?

Last edited by Zachs; 1st May 2015 at 12:30.
Old 1st May 2015, 12:34   #1954  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

The H264 spec optionally includes the chroma location. If its signaled in the bitstream, then LAV will also tell the video renderer through DXVA2_ExtendedFormat
In practice, any format that includes the information, LAV should tell you. If its not signaled, then MPEG2 position should be assumed.

In real world, content with any other position than MPEG2 is rather rare anyway.
Old 1st May 2015, 12:36   #1955  |  Link
Zachs

Got it. Thanks Nev!

EDIT: Tested a bunch of files and they all have 'unknown' VideoChromaSubsampling (i.e. not specified), so not sure how useful it actually is... Anyway, the default chroma offset is still available as an option in MPDN's config file (no GUI for it yet as I reckon a player extension would be best suited for this). v2.25.13 will now use the info from the bitstream if it's signaled, otherwise it'll fallback to the default value.

Last edited by Zachs; 1st May 2015 at 13:48.
Old 1st May 2015, 16:22   #1956  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Cool. Are the defaults for SuperChromaRes what you would recommend for the most accurate chroma? Also do you have any test patterns at all?
I wouldn't dare call it the "most accurate" but they are what I currently use. They are almost certainly not optimal yet.
Old 1st May 2015, 23:14   #1957  |  Link
nekromantik

Do we still need to user SuperChromaRes if using SuperRes with NNEDI3 or NNEDI?
nekromantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2015, 23:37   #1958  |  Link
Zachs

Yes. Chroma needs to be scaled to luma size first. If you don't use it, you'll effectively be using MPDN's internal chroma scaler. There's quite a big difference in quality.
Old 1st May 2015, 23:41   #1959  |  Link
nekromantik

Quote:
Yes. Chroma needs to be scaled to luma size first. If you don't use it, you'll effectively be using MPDN's internal chroma scaler. There's quite a big difference in quality.
Ah Makes sense.
Going to see if I can get viewable render times this weekend upscaling to 4k! Doubt it though as its a i7 laptop with 860m! My gtx760 desktop probably can but its packed away,
nekromantik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2015, 00:09   #1960  |  Link
BRM

Hi again, just managed to replicate my original issue (after 5 minutes, this time):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRM View Post
MPDN "crashes" after a while (after roughly 35~40 mins of continuous playback). Basically the image will freeze, but the audio track will keep playing. GUI is unresponsive, but hotkeys still work (space to pause, for instance).
Don't know if it only happens in full screen.
Here are the event viewer errors: https://i.imgur.com/Odv9Wl8.png
BRM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock