Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 7th March 2016, 15:29   #3981  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
When there is downscaling after SuperRes needed, it uses the scaler selected in MPDN main application:

Is there a way to use a render script shader for this? Maybe add a SSIM checkbox in SuperRes settings?
You can change the prescaler to "SuperXbr + SSIM" to achieve that.

Quote:
Btw: I'm still not fully happy with the deband filter. Could someone please port MPV's deband filter to HLSL? It's already ported to ReShade, if this is any help:
https://github.com/crosire/reshade-s...wski/Deband.fx
In what way is MPV's debanding filter better than MPDN's?
Shiandow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:29   #3982  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
You can change the prescaler to "SuperXbr + SSIM" to achieve that.
I can't find it:

It's not in the list of all available scalers either.

Quote:
In what way is MPV's debanding filter better than MPDN's?
It's working very well for me in games, while MPDN's deband filter often misses quite some banding in videos compared to madVR. So I thought it might not hurt to have the option to try it.

Btw: Now that super-xbr has far less problems with ringing, it might make sense to add it also as a chroma scaler?
aufkrawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:35   #3983  |  Link
lanzorg

Quote:
Online streaming, pipe input, RAR archives, DVD playback
Does anyone know how to launch MPDN from Firefox or Chrome with streaming websites like YouTube?
lanzorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 16:57   #3984  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
I can't find it:

It's not in the list of all available scalers either.
No, you'd have to add it; if you press "modify list" you can add whatever prescaler you want, which can be as complicated as you like. Since there are increasingly more options it's not really doable to add every single possible method, but I'm always open to better options to put in the default list.

Quote:
It's working very well for me in games, while MPDN's deband filter often misses quite some banding in videos compared to madVR. So I thought it might not hurt to have the option to try it.
Well, the method is quite simple so I can give it a try. I might try to improve a bit on the method. FWIW I currently see the biggest banding problems when the source is pretty much 'broken', MadVR might be a bit more aggressive in those cases, but in exchange MPDN's method can be used at pretty much full strength without completely obliterating the image.

Quote:
Btw: Now that super-xbr has far less problems with ringing, it might make sense to add it also as a chroma scaler?
I'd have to see if that's possible, but for now I'd rather focus on the new reconstructive Bilateral method, which seems rather promising (still need some kind of 'limiter' to prevent artefacts, but other than that the quality is impressive).
Old 7th March 2016, 21:36   #3985  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
No, you'd have to add it; if you press "modify list" you can add whatever prescaler you want, which can be as complicated as you like. Since there are increasingly more options it's not really doable to add every single possible method, but I'm always open to better options to put in the default list.
I can add SSIM downscaler there, but then SuperRes isn't used at all according to OSD and it's still downscaled with MPDN internal downscaler.

Quote:
Well, the method is quite simple so I can give it a try. I might try to improve a bit on the method. FWIW I currently see the biggest banding problems when the source is pretty much 'broken', MadVR might be a bit more aggressive in those cases, but in exchange MPDN's method can be used at pretty much full strength without completely obliterating the image.
I think this would definitely make sense, since even "HQ" sources often suffer severe banding.
When you set the threshold of your deband filter to a very high value, this kind of banding isn't reduced as much as with madVR deband filter, but the image gets a softer look in general too.

Quote:
I'd have to see if that's possible, but for now I'd rather focus on the new reconstructive Bilateral method, which seems rather promising (still need some kind of 'limiter' to prevent artefacts, but other than that the quality is impressive).
Looking forward to it.
With cartoons, there are currently often errors which are still easy to spot.
Old 7th March 2016, 23:08   #3986  |  Link
foozoor

I use my laptop/ultrabook very often and sometimes I watch some videos.
Could you share a preset for the Intel HD 530 integrated GPU?
foozoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 23:18   #3987  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
I can add SSIM downscaler there, but then SuperRes isn't used at all according to OSD and it's still downscaled with MPDN internal downscaler.
The OSD system might be having some trouble (making it more failproof has been on my todo list for a while) or something is wrong. As far as I can tell the this script should do what you want.

Quote:
Looking forward to it.
With cartoons, there are currently often errors which are still easy to spot.
That goes both ways by the way, if you know where to look 'non-reconstructive' methods cause errors that are quite easy to spot as well . One of the easiest to spot is chroma bleeding, but sometimes it's simply loss of detail.
Old 8th March 2016, 00:33   #3988  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
The OSD system might be having some trouble (making it more failproof has been on my todo list for a while) or something is wrong. As far as I can tell the this script should do what you want.
Oops, mea culpa. I totally didn't consider that a script chain can be added as a prescaler option.
Works well and OSD reports it correctly.

Quote:
That goes both ways by the way, if you know where to look 'non-reconstructive' methods cause errors that are quite easy to spot as well . One of the easiest to spot is chroma bleeding, but sometimes it's simply loss of detail.
Agreed. However, imho such kind of errors is less obtrusive than e.g. bright colored dots between areas of different color, like in cartoons.
Old 8th March 2016, 01:20   #3989  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
Agreed. However, imho such kind of errors is less obtrusive than e.g. bright colored dots between areas of different color, like in cartoons.
Those kinds of artefacts should have stopped mostly with the new version (1.26.2), if not then something is wrong. The remaining artefacts are mostly colour not following edges correctly (usually when there's a dark edge next to a red area).
Old 8th March 2016, 01:46   #3990  |  Link
aufkrawall

Quote:
The remaining artefacts are mostly colour not following edges correctly (usually when there's a dark edge next to a red area).
Yep, that describes it well.
Old 8th March 2016, 07:43   #3991  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
so the debanding algo is changed now?

in the past it was powerful but it could easily remove a huge deal of details unlike madVR f3kd based deband filter.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 07:51   #3992  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
so the debanding algo is changed now?

in the past it was powerful but it could easily remove a huge deal of details unlike madVR f3kd based deband filter.
You might've remembered it the wrong way around.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 07:56   #3993  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
You might've remembered it the wrong way around.
i did the test my self and posted it here so now. it was at the time the deband filter was still in part of madVR that some time ago! i can search for the post or at least the disc if you like.
Old 8th March 2016, 08:01   #3994  |  Link
Zachs
Suptitle, MediaPlayer.NET

Quote:
i did the test my self and posted it here so now. it was at the time the deband filter was still in part of madVR that some time ago! i can search for the post or at least the disc if you like.
I can't remember the earliest implementation of the filter but it's been like this for a long time i.e. preserves more details but not as strong.
Zachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 08:07   #3995  |  Link
huhn

found the post.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=30693

it extremely terrible in motion.

i can cut a sample later but this will take time i don't even know which season this was.
Old 8th March 2016, 13:09   #3996  |  Link
Shiandow

Quote:
found the post.

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?...ostcount=30693

it extremely terrible in motion.

i can cut a sample later but this will take time i don't even know which season this was.
That does seem to be an earlier implementation of the algorithm.

Might want to give it another try with the new version on default settings. Although that image looks like it could be 'broken' in the sense that you have to choose between representing the source accurately, or removing the banding.
Old 8th March 2016, 14:41   #3997  |  Link
huhn

got this crash after first time starting with a complete reset of all setting.

Code:
TITLE: SharpDX Error
------------------------------

An unexpected error 'SharpDX.SharpDXException' has occurred.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

HRESULT: [0x887A0005], Module: [SharpDX.DXGI], ApiCode: [DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED/DeviceRemoved], Message: The GPU device instance has been suspended. Use GetDeviceRemovedReason to determine the appropriate action.
 (SharpDX)

BUTTONS:

&Abort
it was most likely running out of vram still this is no reason to crash i guess.
Old 8th March 2016, 15:08   #3998  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
That does seem to be an earlier implementation of the algorithm.

Might want to give it another try with the new version on default settings. Although that image looks like it could be 'broken' in the sense that you have to choose between representing the source accurately, or removing the banding.
yes it is clearly changed.
and it doesn't harm the truck anymore.

this is with 1.0
http://abload.de/img/truckxoad8.png
Old 8th March 2016, 15:27   #3999  |  Link
aufkrawall

MPDN's deband with a very high strength looks a bit like a deblocking filter. I notice this when e.g. watching a news video, the face of the newsspeaker becomes a bit too blurry.
Old 8th March 2016, 15:54   #4000  |  Link
Shiandow

FYI I think the 'power' setting doesn't really do anything at the moment. Should probably fix that at some point.

Tags
direct3d, mpdn, nnedi3, opencl, reclock