Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > VapourSynth

Old 29th September 2012, 01:17   #241  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
Vfw came so fast, but what about software, which does open files by extention? Even if it works with vfw it will fail as extension won't be avi. Making script seen by other apps as "fake" avi (or mov) would be great. This would make it 99% compatible with all apps.
Are 8bit+ color spaces/outputs coming? Again v210 would be great as this is most compatible 10bit format.

I should make a use of this donatation button
For the fake avi stuff you need another layer like that old vfapi stuff or avfs. I could try to quickly port avfs and make it vsfs if the current solution isn't good enough.

I looked at v210 but it's packing made me nauseous just to look at. I suppose I'll add it sooner or later but it's a shame it turned out to be the most popular. Microsoft defines very sane and clean planar formats officially too. What a shame... over 8 bit output will come. But it's a bit lower in priority since to my knowledge x264 is the only thing that truly benefits from it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 29th September 2012, 01:24   #242  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
stilll no luck, still crashed

Code:
import vapoursynth as vs
import sys
core = vs.Core(accept_lowercase=True)

# plugins
core.avs.LoadPlugin(r"C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\DGDecode.dll")

# load source
src = core.avs.MPEG2Source(d2v=r"test.d2v")

last=src
Then I'm not sure why it fails. Try running the program from the command-line. Maybe you'll see a warning or error printed before it crashes. You can also try blankclip and see if that works.
Old 29th September 2012, 01:47   #243  |  Link
Reel.Deel

VS VFW works fine for me. Thanks Myrsloik.

I'm assuming it will be up to VDub to support drag and drop for vpy or am I wrong?
Reel.Deel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 01:50   #244  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
VS VFW works fine for me. Thanks Myrsloik.

I'm assuming it will be up to VDub to support drag and drop for vpy or am I wrong?
Correct. Vdub needs to be updated to know about the .vpy extension. Feel free to go and push for its inclusion in the next vdub version. Along with support for the sane high bitdepth planar formats.
Old 29th September 2012, 01:57   #245  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrsloik View Post
Feel free to go and push for its inclusion in the next vdub version. Along with support for the sane high bitdepth planar formats.
Will do.
Old 29th September 2012, 03:23   #246  |  Link
lansing

Quote:
Then I'm not sure why it fails. Try running the program from the command-line. Maybe you'll see a warning or error printed before it crashes. You can also try blankclip and see if that works.
can you elaborate how to run it the command line way?
lansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 07:21   #247  |  Link
Myrsloik
Professional Code Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
can you elaborate how to run it the command line way?
Start menu\open command prompt
Cd virtualdub path
Virtualdub

Done.

Another thing you should try first though is only having absolute paths in your script. The other thing is running your script in python and see if it works at all with the paths you have.
Old 29th September 2012, 08:18   #248  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Works fine so far thank you so much! Now I can do some real stuff with it!
But I have somewhat unrelated question.
Should I load ffms2 as std or avs plugin? Using latest ffms2 build it is loaded via std yet says it "doesn't have function FFVideoSource". I think I missed something. How should I call it then?

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 29th September 2012 at 08:47.
Keiyakusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 08:40   #249  |  Link
Chikuzen
typo lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Works fine so far thank you so much! Now I can do some real stuff with it!
But I have somewhat unrelated question.
Should I load ffms2 as std or avs plugin? Using latest ffms2 build it is loaded via std yet says it "doesn't have function FFVideoSource". I think I missed something. How should I call it them?
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1590957&postcount=1650
Old 29th September 2012, 08:46   #250  |  Link
active1

Quote:
Correct. Vdub needs to be updated to know about the .vpy extension. Feel free to go and push for its inclusion in the next vdub version. Along with support for the sane high bitdepth planar formats.
maybe someone should add the .vpy extension support in x264 too (is it possible to do it?)
EDIT: sorry, it works
EDIT: lol, no it's not working, sorry
that's what happend:
Code:
avs [info]: trying FFmpegSource2... indexing... failed
avs [info]: trying DSS2... not found
avs [info]: trying DirectShowSource... succeeded
avs [info]: 848x480p 0:0 @ 10000000/417013 fps (cfr)
the x264 loaded the test.vpy script through directshowsource

Last edited by active1; 29th September 2012 at 14:06.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 08:53   #251  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikuzen View Post
http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1590957&postcount=1650
Yeah, definitely missed that. Thanks! It works now.

EDIT: one more question, it is not possible to open 10bit video now? It says something about vfw but I can't read it,anything that reads .vpy crashes too fast.
edit2: by the way 10bit useful not only for x264. me, and I believe not only me use it for more professional stuff. some things like 10bit dnxhd are pretty much standard for delivering intermediate files. thankfully after all we got nicely hacked ffms2 for avisynth with high bitdepth and different subsampling support ^__^

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 29th September 2012 at 11:50.
Old 29th September 2012, 13:08   #252  |  Link
kolak

Quote:
For the fake avi stuff you need another layer like that old vfapi stuff or avfs. I could try to quickly port avfs and make it vsfs if the current solution isn't good enough.

I looked at v210 but it's packing made me nauseous just to look at. I suppose I'll add it sooner or later but it's a shame it turned out to be the most popular. Microsoft defines very sane and clean planar formats officially too. What a shame... over 8 bit output will come. But it's a bit lower in priority since to my knowledge x264 is the only thing that truly benefits from it. Correct me if I'm wrong.
vsfs would be great- avfs works very well as it presents script as "normal uncompressed avi", so every app is happy with it. It also works stable.

v210 is definitely the most universal format for 10bit and I think they made it packed to save bits.
Is it possible to have some 10bit working color space in one format (easy to implement and to work with) and have v210 implemented in vsfs only as final output? If this is easier than it would also work.

v210 spec can be found here:

https://developer.apple.com/quicktim...h019.html#v210
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 13:31   #253  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
v210 is definitely the most universal format for 10bit and I think they made it packed to save bits.
It is the most "universal" format for 10bit in MOV (and thus possibly with the pro tools). Please leave that stuff out of Vapoursynth and pipe its 10bit output to ffmpeg/avconv or something, they can convert the bits into the correct thing, and they can mux it into mov correctly. Myrsloik knows of the format and it's not something he most probably will support any time soon, because it is a major PITA to do so.

Also the v210 "support" in VirtualDub is as far as I know something that doesn't work anywhere else, so that can, if you pardon my french, go suck itself. v210 is only "standard" in mov. I would much rather see the support for the saner, proper 10bit formats be added in VDub instead of a random format not meant for in-program use, but for creating an actual mov file for transport for loading it into something else. And for that, we have ffmpeg/avconv to do it for you. You just have to feed them the 10bit YCbCr.

Thank you.
Old 29th September 2012, 14:16   #254  |  Link
active1

will vapoursynth support outputing more than 8 bits? and will vdub be able to preview the +8bit.vpy script?
Old 29th September 2012, 14:30   #255  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by active1 View Post
will vapoursynth support outputing more than 8 bits?
Vapoursynth has been able to output >8bit stuff for quite a while already. That is why the Vapoursynth ffms2 plugin can output >8bit stuff as well, which was never officially implemented on the Avisynth side as it was a hack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by active1 View Post
and will vdub be able to preview the +8bit.vpy script?
No idea what colorspaces can be used in the VFW interface. Also I have no idea what colorspaces VDub can take in. IIRC it doesn't support the MS-specified 10bit+ YCbCr formats at least. It is an open source application though, so things can be implemented.
Old 29th September 2012, 14:31   #256  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Quote:
EDIT: one more question, it is not possible to open 10bit video now? It says something about vfw but I can't read it,anything that reads .vpy crashes too fast.
Just want to rephrase this a bit
Lets say I want to open any 10 (or more) bit file supported by ffmpeg using ffms2 in vapoursynth and then preview it in something. How should I do this correctly?
From what I understand VDub needs to add support for planar colorspaces, then how do I convert colorspace to somthing VDub already understands? 8bit YV12 for example

edit: this? Bicubic(clip=clip, format=vs.YUV420P8) why bicubic and not something else? how it is related to colorspace conversion if no subsampling involved? And it seems it crashes anyway.

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 29th September 2012 at 14:48.
Old 29th September 2012, 14:52   #257  |  Link
active1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEB View Post
Vapoursynth has been able to output >8bit stuff for quite a while already. That is why the Vapoursynth ffms2 plugin can output >8bit stuff as well, which was never officially implemented on the Avisynth side as it was a hack.
i meant outputing more than 8bit with using the vfw module

Quote:
No idea what colorspaces can be used in the VFW interface. Also I have no idea what colorspaces VDub can take in. IIRC it doesn't support the MS-specified 10bit+ YCbCr formats at least. It is an open source application though, so things can be implemented.
i hope that vapoursynth will be able to do it
Old 29th September 2012, 15:03   #258  |  Link
Reel.Deel

Quote:
then how do I convert colorspace to somthing VDub already understands? 8bit YV12 for example.
This allows you to preview 10-bit video as 8-bit in VDub.
Code:
# 10-bit source
src = core.ffms2.source(source=r"C:\10 bit.mkv")

# Change bit depth to 8-bit
src = core.resize.Bicubic(clip=src, format=vs.YUV420P8)

# Ouput for VDub
last = src
Also, you can change Bicubic to any of the other resize listed here.

------------

@ Myrsloik

Is there any dithering going on when converting YUVxxxP16 to lower bit depths?

Last edited by Reel.Deel; 29th September 2012 at 15:06.
Old 29th September 2012, 15:11   #259  |  Link
hajj_3

python 3.3 final is out now: http://python.org/download/

Maybe you could release a new build using Visual Studio.NET 2010 now I wonder if windows 8 has the C++ 2010 pre-installed?

Last edited by hajj_3; 29th September 2012 at 15:18.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2012, 15:15   #260  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel.Deel View Post
@ Myrsloik
Is there any dithering going on when converting YUVxxxP16 to lower bit depths?
Yes, depends on the swscale linked into vapoursynth, after the dither package gets implemented we should get various things for that.

Of course for preview you could just convert it to RGB straight away (and after the dither package gets ported you'd have more ways to do that, too)

Tags
speed, vaporware, vapoursynth