Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 15th October 2014, 15:42   #601  |  Link
jdobbs

I've been using Ritek and Titan for about 6 years now. I have used Optical Quantum in the past, but it's been a while. I have yet to have a disc go bad. I've had a few that were bad out of the package, but that's a less than 1% (probably closer to .1%). I guess it could be just good luck... I generally buy them from Meritline -- not sure if that makes a difference.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th October 2014 at 18:06.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 17:48   #602  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

hard to believe u guys are so unlucky with LG drives. The ondest still working drive i have is BH08 and that one would still be in use if i hadn't swapped it out for BH16. LG's never let me down. Drives last for years and i burn hundreds of discs a year.
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 18:05   #603  |  Link
jdobbs

Hope you continue to have good luck with them. But I'll never buy another one.

Last edited by jdobbs; 15th October 2014 at 18:13.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 19:05   #604  |  Link
Asmodian

I had that experience with Lite-On, every Lite-On drive I purchased died in a few years. They were cheap though! I too have switched to LG with much better results, no optical drives have died since, though I also use them significantly less now with the price of flash so low.

All burned DVDs or blurays will be unreadable in 10 years, even the expensive media (unless M-Disc, maybe). At least all my burned CDs and DVDs have gone bad, maybe it was those Lite-On drives that burned them? This is stored in folders in the dark, sunlight can kill a disc in a week. Some blurays are already going bad at only ~3 years old (these were Ritek media burned on LG drives, but it was good for those 3 years).

What is everyone doing with so many burned discs in this day and age? I hope not long term archiving?
Asmodian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 20:15   #605  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

I bought M-Disc for long-term archiving of data onto its BD-25 disc, which is so far adequate to keep all family documents and photos on. We have just a handful of home movies I would like to save "forever" on M-Disc but haven't gotten around to that yet. I just bought a 15-pack (25GB 4x) and I think they list for $75 bucks so yes, at $5 a pop they aren't cheap.

But if I were a home videographer with priceless home movies I would not archive these in any other way.

As for "why so many discs" when I first got-into making DVDs I did so of everything including lots of TV that I will never watch again. Not a great expenditure of time I suppose but it's been fun and I've learned a lot.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2014, 12:17   #606  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

After looking for less expensive alternatives to Verbatim,
Ritek BD-R 25GB seem to be quite safe on my side.
Not that many written, but not a single coaster.
Drives: Pioneer BDR208-EBK, Matsushita BD-MLT UJ-240AS
Old 24th October 2014, 17:00   #607  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
I agree. All my BD-Rs are Ritek, labeled Memorex from Imation Enterprises "Made in Taiwan" and they've been 100% reliable for me.
laserfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2014, 15:41   #608  |  Link
Stereodude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emulgator View Post
How much are you paying for the Verbatim discs?
Stereodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 16:39   #609  |  Link
worknstiff

RE: How much are you paying for the Verbatim discs?

Amazon, 44.00 for 50. Free shipping. You can't beat 88c each for Verbatim quality.
worknstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 17:56   #610  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff View Post

Amazon, 44.00 for 50. Free shipping. You can't beat 88c each for Verbatim quality.
Did you check the manufacturer of these "Verbatim Quality" discs? There seem to be various, not all with 1st class reputation, at least from the past DVD times ......
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 19:20   #611  |  Link
worknstiff

RE: Verbatim Quality 1st class reputation, at least from the past DVD times

Yes I know about the AZO dye and Made In India controversy, but the ones I receive from Amazon all have the MFG in Taiwan and have burned 100%. I was getting maybe 1 out of 10 bad with the Optical Quantum BD-R's and decided to go back to Verbatim only.
Old 26th October 2014, 20:40   #612  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by worknstiff View Post

Really? Hmm... I need to check on that. I just paid $36 for 50 Riteks at Meritline recently. 16c a disc isn't a bad premium to pay for Verbatim quality.

I've been using Verbatim DL BDs for series backups (where I backup multiple BDs or DVDs onto a single disc) -- they're selling for about $119 for a box of 50 at Amazon. That's not bad either.
Old 26th October 2014, 22:07   #613  |  Link
worknstiff

Yeah, I used to buy the 20 pack Verbatim BD-R DL for 50.00 with free shipping from Japan. The only thing I didn't like was that they had the white inkjet coating on top and it took 3 weeks to arrive, lol. I really love that BD Rebuilder does 3D now and I only use one of those precious 2.50 disks occasionally. Thanks again jdobbs for helping me with my expensive 3D addiction.
Old 23rd October 2023, 01:47   #614  |  Link
Rich86

Optodisc media - OTCBDR-001-000

I realize this is an ancient thread, but I figured I would post a recent experience anyway.
Every Optodisc (OTCBDR-001-000) I have ever burned has now gone totally bad. Thankfully it appears it was only a single cakebox of 25 media. These appear slightly blue on the data side and were burned during 2011 with a Lite-On burner. I expect this was probably the first batch of printable BDR media I ever bought and used. Every one of these was perfectly fine after I burned them and for quite a while afterwards. But the other day I pulled out one of them to view and when it refused to even be recognized by multiple blu-ray players and my tower computer, I decided to check them all . . 100% bad and trash. Just a heads up for folks who have used this brand media and have anything important stored on them . . .
I've been using Ritek printable BDR media for over 10 years with no issues, but who knows what is around the corner . .
Rich86 is offline   Reply With Quote