Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 31st August 2009, 01:49   #21  |  Link
sethk

Only the DVD+R DL Verbatims are still made in Singapore, and even then, not all DL packs sold in the US are from Singapore. You can check out the CDFreaks media forum for more information on how to spot them and where to get them from.
sethk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 14:47   #22  |  Link
bobrap

Been without internet since Friday and have been thinking all weekend (yea, my head hurts). I'm playing with the idea to get a BD burning now that media is getting a little cheaper. Any suggestions for a good burner, or, should I just hang with BD9? Sorry if this was the wrong place to ask. Thanks for any advice.
bobrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 15:50   #23  |  Link
GaPony

The LG GGW-H20L has served me well, but I don't burn nearly as much to BD-R since the BD9s work so well. I haven't even used the BD9 method as much lately, since I figured out how to stream my Blu-Ray movies to my PS3.

Technology marches forward. I may be disc-less soon!
GaPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 18:48   #24  |  Link
DaMacFunkin

Ive been using a piccasso silver printable disk (Richoh media code) @ 15 for a tub of 10, all burned at 4x and play back no probs on my Pannasonic.
get em from scan. Previous to that was using Traxdata FF Printable (Ritek media code) burned at 4x with no probs, and have also had some unbranded printables (Philips media code) all burned at 4x no probs. Luckily i don't think princo are still around so cheap blu-ray media may stay good quality ;-)
DaMacFunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 18:49   #25  |  Link
canuckerfan

any Canadians ordering around here?
canuckerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 08:30   #26  |  Link
DVD Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe999 View Post
@ Mediogre: Thank you very much for the Rakuten link. I was a little bit afraid and "only" bought 80 TDK's. Indeed it's cheap. Though I still haven't received the e-mail with the definitive shipping expenses, I think the end price for each BD-R will be around 2,60. Unimaginable prices to buy from Europe... at least to my knowledge. Cross my fingers they are good media (they are manufactured by Imation).

Just a sidenote about Verbatim. Yeah, they used to be the "shangri-la" of DVD and CD media... but lately I was unlucky enough to get a batch manufactured in India by Moses Baer that were absolute s**t. In some places, among them Netsoftmedia-dot-com, in the USA, they sell only Verbs made in Singapore. Go always for those.

Regards and thanx again :-D.

PS: If I'm satisfied with these BD-R, I'm sure will buy often from Japan
Interesting dabate because I have never burnt one yet! Why Bother?

1.5TB SATA 3GB Int...... 78 (Including Postage!)
..................................0.05 per GB or...
..................................1.32 for a 25GB Backup or ...
..................................0.47 for a 9GB Backup

vs

Budget 25GB BD-R (Datawrite).....2.50 per disc...

OK so you can buy slighthly cheaper imported as the above source mentiones @ Euro 2.60 (2.28) but its still a no brainer to use HDD. Let's assume that BR-R blanks eventually come down in price to match or challenge HDD /$ per GB. You still have all the hassle of never ending coasters, quality testing (apparently in its infancy with BD-R). I much prefer my new tried and tested setup - 1GB or 1.5GB HDD + USB Docking Station + PC Softplayer - no coasters, no wasting time with quality checks and burning, easy simple and reliable AND CHEAPER! I tend to backup to 9GB (my eyes can see no difference) that's about 115 Movies per 1TB HDD and of course dual layer DVD blanks are even MORE expensive per GB so the economics still swing in favour of HDD

Why not?

HDD's die eventually. Yes they do, (none of mine ever have btw) but the modern ones have BIOS level error warnings and if you are that paranoid there's software out there to run diagnostics to trap imminent failures

Portability. Answer - buy external HDD's (still cheaper per GB!)
DVD Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 09:24   #27  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Is there any software available yet to do quality scans on Blu-ray burns in a similar fashion to DVD media scans (that show up PIF and PIE spikes etc)?

Wombler
Yes there are!

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/test-r...ia-t21949.html

I know I had another link posted, I spent almost one hour screening my posts, no chance...

Got it -> http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Revi...rticleId=20888

Last edited by Ghitulescu; 1st September 2009 at 09:45. Reason: new info
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 17:41   #28  |  Link
EdoNork

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaPony View Post
since I figured out how to stream my Blu-Ray movies to my PS3.
Any link? Thank you.
EdoNork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 19:49   #29  |  Link
Wombler
Affable Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Yes there are!

http://www.cdrlabs.com/forums/test-r...ia-t21949.html

I know I had another link posted, I spent almost one hour screening my posts, no chance...

Got it -> http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Revi...rticleId=20888
Very interesting Ghitulescu!

So I wonder why people aren't posting scans as it would be a lot more accurate of judging budget media than saying 'this one works' or 'doesn't work'?

Wombler
Wombler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 22:53   #30  |  Link
GaPony

[quote-GaPony]since I figured out how to stream my Blu-Ray movies to my PS3.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdoNork View Post
Any link? Thank you.
Here ya go. http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

If you have a decent network and a PS3, there is virtually no configuration required..
Old 1st September 2009, 23:03   #31  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wombler View Post
Very interesting Ghitulescu!

So I wonder why people aren't posting scans as it would be a lot more accurate of judging budget media than saying 'this one works' or 'doesn't work'?

Wombler
I disagree. Knowing from firsthand experiences that such and such a media works well with a perticular burner or player, is much more useful in the real world than software tests that are most usually geared to a particular set of drives. The numbers produced by these software test are fine for geeks, but not the average Joe, just trying to make a copy of his Blu-Ray or DVD movie. Besides, being totally arbitrary, they do nothing in determining whether any problem is from the media, the firmware used by the burner, or the burner/player itself.

I'd much rather hear... I bought a 20 pack of 123 brand media and they burned well on my xyz brand burner and played back beautifully on my ABC brand/model standalone player.... or didn't, as the case may be.
Old 1st September 2009, 23:16   #32  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Maniac View Post
Interesting dabate because I have never burnt one yet! Why Bother?

1.5TB SATA 3GB Int...... 78 (Including Postage!)
..................................0.05 per GB or...
..................................1.32 for a 25GB Backup or ...
..................................0.47 for a 9GB Backup

vs

Budget 25GB BD-R (Datawrite).....2.50 per disc...

OK so you can buy slighthly cheaper imported as the above source mentiones @ Euro 2.60 (2.28) but its still a no brainer to use HDD. Let's assume that BR-R blanks eventually come down in price to match or challenge HDD /$ per GB. You still have all the hassle of never ending coasters, quality testing (apparently in its infancy with BD-R). I much prefer my new tried and tested setup - 1GB or 1.5GB HDD + USB Docking Station + PC Softplayer - no coasters, no wasting time with quality checks and burning, easy simple and reliable AND CHEAPER! I tend to backup to 9GB (my eyes can see no difference) that's about 115 Movies per 1TB HDD and of course dual layer DVD blanks are even MORE expensive per GB so the economics still swing in favour of HDD

Why not?

HDD's die eventually. Yes they do, (none of mine ever have btw) but the modern ones have BIOS level error warnings and if you are that paranoid there's software out there to run diagnostics to trap imminent failures

Portability. Answer - buy external HDD's (still cheaper per GB!)
That's great for streaming movies or playing on the PC, but it sure is hard to stick a hard drive into the disc tray of my uncle's Blu-Ray player...

Multiple external HDDs are a waste of money and space. The true "best practice" would be to use an external HDD docking station and forget USB, that's soooo 2005. Use eSATA if at all possible and buy a dock that supports both formats.

Even better, use an old PC to build a Home Server and make all your movies available to all your networked devices, and protect the data your harddrives from failure with redundancy. To reproduce 115 9GB copies from a failed HDD, at 4hrs a pop, would be 460hrs... What's your time worth? The convience of the server over the long run is impossible to calculate.
Old 2nd September 2009, 02:08   #33  |  Link
Capsbackup

@GaPony;
Quote:
Multiple external HDDs are a waste of money and space. The true "best practice" would be to use an external HDD docking station and forget USB, that's soooo 2005. Use eSATA if at all possible and buy a dock that supports both formats.
I'm with you there! Vantec,( http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/pro_list/70) makes this type, and it works great. The price of SATA drives is very reasonable too. Samsung 1.5TB for $99.00, Seagate 1.5TB for $114.00 ( Fry's).
Capsbackup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 03:59   #34  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsbackup View Post
@GaPony;

I'm with you there! Vantec,( http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/pro_list/70) makes this type, and it works great. The price of SATA drives is very reasonable too. Samsung 1.5TB for $99.00, Seagate 1.5TB for $114.00 ( Fry's).
I'll tell you, though. I have both (external USB2 and SATA) and at least on my system they seem to transfer at about the same speed...
Old 2nd September 2009, 07:12   #35  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
I'll tell you, though. I have both (external USB2 and SATA) and at least on my system they seem to transfer at about the same speed...
I'm afraid you may have a serious hardware issue. There is virtually no difference in data transfer of an eSATA and an internal SATA. USB 2.0 and even Firewire can't touch it! SATA/eSATA are about 6x faster than USB 2.0 in everyday use...not just some benchmark test.

In some activities it doesn't matter much. If you're talking about using BD-Rebuilder to an external USB drive vs. an eSATA drive, you might be correct, but its not the same thing. An eSATA DVD burner is alot faster than a USB DVD burner... in terms of burner speeds. If you copy 8GB of data to/from a USB HDD to your PC's internal drive and then that same data using an eSATA HDD, you'll be tempted to throw the USB drive into the closest dumpster.

I have to tell you that your software has cost me a ton of money... I keep all the original ripped movies and all the BD-Rebuilder copies on hard drives... along with the BD25 or BD9 copies on disc. I used to be blissfully ignorant that a Blu-Ray could even be copied. Now here I am 20 (1TB and 1.5TB) drives later....... j/k

Last edited by GaPony; 2nd September 2009 at 07:21.
Old 2nd September 2009, 07:25   #36  |  Link
DVD Maniac

Quote:
I disagree. Knowing from firsthand experiences that such and such a media works well with a perticular burner or player, is much more useful in the real world than software tests that are most usually geared to a particular set of drives. The numbers produced by these software test are fine for geeks, but not the average Joe, just trying to make a copy of his Blu-Ray or DVD movie. Besides, being totally arbitrary, they do nothing in determining whether any problem is from the media, the firmware used by the burner, or the burner/player itself.

I'd much rather hear... I bought a 20 pack of 123 brand media and they burned well on my xyz brand burner and played back beautifully on my ABC brand/model standalone player.... or didn't, as the case may be.
Its for this precise "random" results iv'e switched to an HDD storage regime. I'm not convinced consumer BD Blanks are universally "higher" in quality than their DVD equivilants or ever will be. Recording onto a DVD blank is, and still remains a lottery in my experience regardless of how much you pay or what research you make on mutually compatible burners, blanks and players. I have lost count of the number of discs i've burnt on high quality media which pass so called quality tests with flying colours only to discover flaws when played first time or else play fine (once) then crap out on you on a future viewing.

For me, HDD is the way to go as per my previous post, cheaper, more reliable and absolutely less hassle all round. BD Blank suppliers can keep there 3.00 rip offs!
DVD Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 12:47   #37  |  Link
EdoNork

Quote:
[quote-GaPony]since I figured out how to stream my Blu-Ray movies to my PS3.

If you have a decent network and a PS3, there is virtually no configuration required..[/QUOTE]

=h! Thanks.
I use it. I didn't know it cans stream BD too. I will try.
EdoNork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:01   #38  |  Link
bobrap

Got to ask the dumb question of the day. How much quality difference is there in playback between a standalone BD player and connecting your PC to a TV?
bobrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 13:27   #39  |  Link
Wolfe999

@DVD Maniac: I've seen this debate before and it all falls on personal tastes.

I'm old fashioned enough to like my movies on a disc, see the case and enjoy the beauty of a custom cover. Besides, I still haven't found a SW player that plays absolutely any movie without giving a problem with this or that.

So, for me it's the DVD, or BD-R in this case. For me in this case, the money difference is not that big enough as to make me want to change. But I'm happy you are happy with your HDD and that you save money with that. And I mean it, no irony intended

Regards

Edit: Forgot to say that HDD die... and mine have died on me several times. Another reason that makes it not worthwhile for me.

Last edited by Wolfe999; 2nd September 2009 at 14:09.
Wolfe999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 16:08   #40  |  Link
GaPony

Quote:

If you have a decent network and a PS3, there is virtually no configuration required..
Quote:
=h! Thanks.
I use it. I didn't know it cans stream BD too. I will try.
Here's how I do it... I use DB-Rebuilder to make a Movie Only copy to BD-9, then I extract the 00000.m2ts file and rename to the name of the movie (ie. Gladiator.m2ts). I move that file into a shared folder and also put a .jpg of the front cover (ie. Gladiator.jpg) into the same folder. The PS3 lists the movie with a picture. I get about 175 Blu-Ray movies on a 1.5TB HDD (using BD-9 sizing).

I sacrifice a couple things in my method. I don't keep any subtitles when I use BD-Rebuilder and the PS3 can't figure out how to jump chapters for a .m2ts file, but the "Jump To" feature works on most movies. Its not perfect, but works "well enough" for the time being. The audio & video is great, but the mechanics still need a little work.

Don't get me wrong guys... I still use plenty of BD-R and DL DVD media. This is just something I'm working on for the future and mostly stream movies suitable for my (2 y/o) grandson, since he seems to have permant sticky fingers which he likes to rub all over the shiny discs.

I'm still in the constant hunt for reliable, but inexpensive media. Currrently www.shop4tech.com has a $17% off everything sale and has some great prices on BD-R media, as well as DVD media. It ends 09-07-09. Use Promo Code ES17 at checkout

Last edited by GaPony; 2nd September 2009 at 16:13.