Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Closed Thread

Old 25th November 2009, 03:56   #1261  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Mosu
Hi! When I'm trying to append 2 raw h264 streams, after setting FPS for the first stream there is no way to set it for second one , but if I try to mux it, the message still appears and asks me to set FPS... Is it possible to fix this?

By the way, why all settings for appended stream becames grayed out? Its should be possible to have second segment with different fps/dar/something else... or no?

Last edited by Keiyakusha; 25th November 2009 at 04:00.
Old 25th November 2009, 09:31   #1262  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Mosu
Hi! When I'm trying to append 2 raw h264 streams, after setting FPS for the first stream there is no way to set it for second one , but if I try to mux it, the message still appears and asks me to set FPS... Is it possible to fix this?
This has already been fixed in one of the latest builds available at http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/pre/

Quote:
By the way, why all settings for appended stream becames grayed out? Its should be possible to have second segment with different fps/dar/something else... or no?
Most settings directly influence the track headers, and therefore only the first track in an append chain may have those set. It's pretty much the same for FPS; mkvmerge also doesn't support changing the FPS for appended tracks.

To make this clearer: Appending two tracks results in a single track in the output file. This single track only has one copy of its headers, obviously, therefore most settings cannot be changed and therefore most stream parameters (private data, pixel width/height etc) must match in the first place or mkvmerge will not allow you to append them.

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.

Last edited by Mosu; 25th November 2009 at 09:49.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:42   #1263  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvtoolnix v2.9.9 released

Hey,

I've released mkvtoolnix v2.9.9. This release contains contains the usual mix of bug fixes and smaller enhancements. Nothing overly exciting to mention, I guess. I also started providing binary packages for OpenSuSE 11.3 and Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala (both 32bit and 64bit).

Here are the usual links...

...to the home page:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/

...to the source code:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...-2.9.9.tar.bz2

...to the Windows installer and 7zip archive:
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv....9.9-setup.exe
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkv...icode-2.9.9.7z

All binaries that I provide myself have already been uploaded.

Here's the full ChangeLog since release 2.9.8:

------------------------------------------------------------
2009-11-25 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Released v2.9.9.

2009-11-11 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: bug fix: The warning that no FPS has been entered for AVC/h.264 elementary streams is not shown anymore for appended tracks (only once for the first track that they're appended to).

2009-10-25 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The pixel cropping parameters were not kept when muxing from Matroska files.
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The display width/height parameters were not kept when muxing from Matroska files if the bitstream of the track contained different aspect ratio information. Now the order is "command line" first, "source container" second and "bitstream" first.

2009-09-04 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Fixed the subtitle track selection for AVI files.

2009-08-23 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: enhancement: A single '+' causes the next file to be appended just like putting the '+' in front of the file name.

2009-08-21 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: The integrated help ('--help') contained wrong information about the '--sync' option. Fix for bug 435.

2009-08-18 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mmg: enhancement: The file dialogs for 'add file'/'append file' will show files with extensions in all uppercase as well. This only applies to file systems that distinguish between case (e.g. most of the non-Windows, non-FAT world). Fix for bug 433.

2009-08-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* mkvmerge: bug fix: Missing ChapterLanguage elements were assumed to be set to "und". They're now assumed to be "eng" in accordance with the Matroska specifications.
* Added a new program 'mkvpropedit' that can modify certain properties of existing Matroska files. It is mmg's header editor, just for the command line.
------------------------------------------------------------

Have fun.

Old 26th November 2009, 11:24   #1264  |  Link
J_Darnley

Nice work. One small issue with the changelog: 'Now the order is "command line" first, "source container" second and "bitstream" first.' You have said first twice, should that be '"bitstream" last'?
Old 26th November 2009, 12:00   #1265  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Yes, it should.

Old 26th November 2009, 13:54   #1266  |  Link
WantStuff

Wow. Just downloaded 2.9.9 and the first thing I used was the header editor, it's really quick now!
A massive performance gain. Well done.

A feature I would love now is a CLI version of the header editor... any chance?
Old 26th November 2009, 14:00   #1267  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quoting myself here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosu View Post
2009-08-16 Moritz Bunkus <moritz@bunkus.org>
* Added a new program 'mkvpropedit' that can modify certain properties of existing Matroska files. It is mmg's header editor, just for the command line.
That program is part of all binary packages (Linux, Windows) and will be compiled if you compile mkvtoolnix yourself without the need for further configuration/special options.

Last edited by Mosu; 26th November 2009 at 14:04.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:09   #1268  |  Link
WantStuff

Damn you're quick, excellent service!

Yes sorry, I should have read it properly. I guess I was caught up in the moment...
Old 26th November 2009, 14:10   #1269  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

No problem

Old 28th November 2009, 09:37   #1270  |  Link
MatLz
I often say "maybe"...

Hi Mosu!
Why when I precise the fps of an avc stream to 23.976 the resulting mkv is 24000/1001 fps?
I must precise a fraction like 23976/1000 or 2997/125 to get 23.976fps.
Old 28th November 2009, 11:17   #1271  |  Link
nurbs

I assume it's because normally people use 23.976 as a short form for when they mean 24000/1001. Personally I've never seen a source that is really 23.976, they are all 24000/1001 (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, NTSC DVD).
Old 29th November 2009, 18:26   #1272  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

nurbs' description is spot on. Way back in the day users requested that the values 23.976 and 29.97 are treated as 24000/1001 and 30000/1001 respectively.

Old 30th November 2009, 17:42   #1273  |  Link
Abradoks

mkvtoolnix recognises MP3 in WAV container as PCM. Not a big problem, but thought I should report it.
Old 30th November 2009, 19:39   #1274  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Will not be fixed.

Old 1st December 2009, 07:25   #1275  |  Link
Snowknight26

Is it possible to mention the offset (in bytes perhaps) as to when a track contains bad data? I captured some video that happened to have corruption in it, so when I went to remux it to MKV with mkvmerge, it spat out an error along the lines of 'the AC3 track contained 1536 bytes of malformed packets, a/v synchronization may be lost.' It'd be nice to know where that happens so I can further investigate.

Last edited by Snowknight26; 1st December 2009 at 18:50. Reason: typo
Old 1st December 2009, 08:46   #1276  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

It is technically possible, but it requires some work because neither of those packetizers (MP3, AAC, AC3) keeps track of the current stream position. So not in the near future.

Old 3rd December 2009, 06:44   #1277  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Hi, Mosu. I want to ask something about how Display width/height in matroska meant to be handled...
Something like splitter tells exact resolution to the player and player do some scaling to accomplish this? So if original resolution is 640x360 and Display width/height is 1280x720, I should not be able to tell if the video is scaled from 360p on the fly or before encoding unless I look to some statistics?
If this is so, does haali splitter respects that?
Old 3rd December 2009, 08:59   #1278  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiyakusha View Post
Hi, Mosu. I want to ask something about how Display width/height in matroska meant to be handled...
Something like splitter tells exact resolution to the player and player do some scaling to accomplish this? So if original resolution is 640x360 and Display width/height is 1280x720, I should not be able to tell if the video is scaled from 360p on the fly or before encoding unless I look to some statistics?
The idea is indeed that the initial size of the video during playback is set to display width/height by the player (not the demuxer or codec though -- it is supposed to be up to the player so that the user still has the choice which scaling methods to use etc). It is not supposed to be a fixed size so the user should still be able to resize the playback window afterwards.

However, most players if not all only use the quotient "display_widht/display_height" as the aspect ratio for playback and determine the initial size themselves. Some muxing applications or users of those even go so far and use e.g. "16" for the display_width and "9" for the display_height parameter -- but this is mostly a result of the players not honoring the actual display width/height but only using its quotient for aspect ratio calculation.

Quote:
If this is so, does haali splitter respects that?
I don't know, and like I said, it is supposed to be the player's job, not the splitter's/demuxer's/codec's. However, I'm not familiar with Windows' multimedia stack and cannot judge whether or not it would be easier to implement proper display width/height handling in the splitter itself.

Old 3rd December 2009, 14:47   #1279  |  Link
Keiyakusha
契約者

Mosu
Thank you!
Old 4th December 2009, 14:57   #1280  |  Link
WestFlame

Hi, I would like to ask if there will be any “Tag Editor” for Matroska files like the Chaper one in mmg?

Thanks.
Closed Thread