Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 27th March 2021, 21:15   #21  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpic View Post
LD; Not sure what part you are on - were you able to get the title to play at all with the inserted subtitles? Or maybe it sounds like you are trying to get them to auto default 'on'?

For my title it had already a subtitle track so I basically just had to replace the Japanese sub track with English track, so testing after that was easy - I didn't have to tell it to add a brand new track. But I'm thinking once you edit in BDedit you should be able to instruct the title to use the enclosed sub track.
Yes, all steps finished and it played without problem, didn't even have problem with the disc not showing correct language either. Also I added subtitle and didn't replace. I wanted to get it to display automagically.. Also to first display menu would be a bonus..

Will post the revised steps soon..

//LD
Old 6th April 2021, 22:12   #22  |  Link
kpic

Found a limitation;

So my 4k test title is fine, I even put it on a BD-DL disc and tested on my Oppo 203 and it read it fine with the added-in sub tracks no issue.

Currently it has a 4.0 & 2.0 DTS track I wanted to add my DTS-HD 7.1 audio track to it. So I did it all over again this time muxing in that 7.1 audio track, ran through BDRB and it played fine on my software player. So fire up BDedit to 'add' in the audio track the same way I did the sub track; this time I went to the 'AU' entry under 'Playlist' tab and added in my audio track using the '+' button and changed the language to 'JPN', I also had to adjust the stream number (1102) to match what was in the clipinf tab, select 'save' and done.

So sent this revised version to my software player and it did indeed read the extra audio track but it showed up as 'DTS'HD 5.1' instead of '7.1' - This is not a limitation of my software players it does recognize '7.1' tracks - In BDEdit I had selected the 'DTS-HD XLL' entry so I assume it is correct for that? Well anyway it is the 7.1 track that is in the stream but it indicates '5.1'. I'm not sure if I made a wrong selection in there somewhere as there were other options such as 'DTS', 'DD' and a few others so maybe I picked the wrong one, or maybe this is a limitation of BDedit?

I found out something else while I was trying all this; if you are in the 'Playlist' tab and finish making the changes and select the 'apply to clpi' button it does change the entries under the 'clipinf' tab but it also broke whatever BDRB fixed, I assume this is because BDedit wrote over my 'fixed' clipinfo file from BDRB, I don't recall if I did that for the subtitle entries or not so whatever you do do not select the 'apply to clpi' button you see under that tab as I'm pretty sure you'll be running it through BDRB again for a fixed version.
kpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2021, 21:37   #23  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

I see you posted over at the BD-RB thread and got a reply that solved the problem.. I just finished watching my test disc and it was flawless.. I will post a new revised "guide" soon and it doesn't require BDedit at all, unless you want to make streams default or make the main menu appear first.. right now I got a major headache and I don't want to accidentally put any false instructions in the guide..

//LD
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:56   #24  |  Link
kpic

Just to continue this thread if anyone still checking in on it. The above post where I questioned the audio tracks was an error on my end. I had updated my BDRB version and forgot to check the 'Keep HD audio for BD25\alternate intact' option in setup so it was down-converting it. After running through BDRB with that option checked I did end up with all of my DTS-HD tracks intact - that is the post that LD refers to above.
Old 23rd April 2021, 23:44   #25  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

and, also I must get my head out of my @$$ and write that revised guide... to much to to, too little time..

//LD
Old 29th April 2022, 16:09   #26  |  Link
kpic

Just a minor yearly bump to this thread.

In case anyone comes across it and tries this method in the guide I mention 'further testing' - well I have done it this exact way to 8 titles at this point and if followed exactly as described (yes, I refer back to this thread!) they work each and every time for me anyway on my players (Oppo, old Sony & Samsung).

Last edited by kpic; 29th April 2022 at 16:14.
Old 8th May 2022, 13:57   #27  |  Link
POFFO

Hi kpic. wanted to ask why using BDRebuild. It is only to resize to BD50 or ? If it is only a matter of resizing this is possible via DVDFab as well. Please let me know.
With the occasion let me add that there are players supportding BDXL provided that data is written on 2 layers only. This is a chance to compress less as most 4k movie will get into a 66GB or in any case the process will require less compression.

@LowDead. not sure why the intention not to use BDEdit, but if needed you can avoid it and implement the changes directly in the mpls. Use an hexeditor as below.

Playlits description starts at 0x3A. Change here first 4bytes which is the length to update with +/-16x the number of added/removed videos+audios+subtitles
Within the playlist starting byte #44 the STN_Table where are described audio and PGs. Change here
1. first 2bytes which is the remaining length to update as above with +/-16x the number of added/removed videos+audios+subtitles
2. bytes # 5, 6 and 7 respectively the num_primary_video (1 byte), num_primary_audio (1 byte), num_pg (1 bytes) to update accordingly to the changes
3. from byte #17 there are 16 bytes to describe each video, each audio and each PG

• VideoEntry
• 2 bytes - 09 01
• PID - 10 11
• 6 zeros - 00 00 00 00 00 00

• VideoAttr
• byte - 05 (remaining lenght)
• type - 24
• format - 4 bits e.g. 0x8 = 2160p, 0x6 1080p
• framerate – 4 bits e.g. 0x1 = 23.976
• …………….byte - 12
• 2 zeros - 00 00

• AudioEntry ()
• 2 bytes - 09 01
• PID - 11 00 (11 is audio, while 00 is progressive*, +1 for 2nd audio etc)

• AudioAttr
• type - 83 (True-HD), 86 (DTS-HD Master), 81 (AC3)
• byte 61 (a for audio)
• lang code – 3bytes e.g. 65 6E 67 for eng (english)

• PgEntry ()
• 2 bytes - 09 01
• PID - 12 A0 (12 is PG, A0 with 0 progressive*, +1 for 2nd PG etc)

• PgAttr
• type? - 90
• lang code - 3bytes e.g. 64 65 7 for deu (german)
• byte - 00
• etc...

*in a few cases is not and in such cases tsMuxeR reads the order wrongly as following such bytes order. You could re-order yourself the natural sequence in such cases as this what used for playback.

Finally also change
1. the 4bytes 13-16 which is PlayListMark starts (i.e. chapters)
2. the 4bytes 1720 which is where the ExtensionData starts
also in these 2 cases add +/-16x the number of added/removed videos+audios+subtitles.

Possible but I think is better to rely on BDEdit.

POFFO
POFFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2022, 18:22   #28  |  Link
kpic

Poffo; the reason to use BDRebuild at the end is not to re-size (though you could do that, more on that in a bit) but to 'fix' the title.

LowDead was able to provide that info that had me stuck. At least with the titles I tried (different manufacturer) simply copying\pasting over the completed M2TS & Clipinfo etc. still did not allow it to work correctly (I really didn't expect it to anyway) - the title couldn't get the chapters correctly and the navigation was broke.

When put the BDRebuild I suppose at some point it takes that somewhat broken disc and fixes that issue through re-building the disc using the new M2TS, after he supplied that info it didn't matter to me why it worked I just knew that it did.

As far as re-sizing it through BDRebuilder, if you choose to you can do it at that time. Of course you can also just run the broken disc structure through without re-sizing as well and I did try that. I do have a BDXL burner so I got some BDXL discs and put an un-compressed title on there (just adding the subs), unfortunately one of my players wouldn't play it all and the other played it but I still ending up having lots of breaking up of video due to the bit-rate being too high.

So it's not just re-sizing, if you plan on putting it on a burned disc you have to be able to lower the bit-rate some through BDRebuilder as for me anyway using BDXL discs (Verbatim) the high bit-rate + burned disc caused the video to stutter at high bit-rate scenes (action etc). Also from what I saw there seemed to be no (to my eye and the equipment I used) real difference between the lower bit-rate\slightly compressed disc and the un-compressed\higher bit-rate disc + add in that the 10pack of Verbatim BDXL discs was over $100 (not sure what it is now) and it seemed better to just use the standard BD50 discs.

Re BDEdit: I think Lowdead didn't need to use BDEdit so he\she skipped that step. I had to use it to automatically set my subs to default 'on' and for me the language of the subs were not set so I ended up having to do that in BDEdit.
Old 13th May 2022, 18:27   #29  |  Link
kpic

Minor PS; the bit-rate issue is all due to it being on a burned disc. If you're going to just add this to your media player (I did that as well for some titles) just add the subs, run through BDRebuilder but do not compress or change the bit-rate settings, edit in BDEdit if needed and have at it, you should have no issue with the bit-rate there.
Old 15th May 2022, 11:38   #30  |  Link
POFFO

Thanks kpic for the detailed insight.

I understand the comment on the bit rate. Agree it can create some issue sometime when reproducing the movie burned on a disk, no matter the disk quality level..

Also understand a BD50 is cheaper than a BDXL, plus working on every player. I was just adding the option as a note for its upside on reducing the required compression for disc burning purposes...

On the other side Im not sure about this BD Rebuild 'fixing'...

Ive done it only once on a 4k UHD disk but I've recreated a full disk with added subtitles, simply replacing m2ts anc clpi, quite a number of times for normal (non UHD) BD titles, always working flawlessly. And actually im not surprised as such process keeps intact the BD specifications structure, so no reason it should fail.
There are only a few cases, where it creates some (still solvable) issue, namely when the mpls refers to multiple m2ts. Full guide is on this forum, thanks to clr2007 at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=150511. But maybe it is exactly in such peculiar cases where the 'fixing' can come to help out...

Let me add with the occasion, that same process is able to recreate also a full 3D BD disk, with just adding a couple of more steps, which is to i/ edit the playlist to specify the new subs as you do but this time also adding the 3D-plane number(s) and ii/ create the SSIF folder in the ISO using the DVDFab mini-iso tool. Just a warning here: avoid re-encoding the video, as also possible but then requiring a tool (e.g. BDTool) to reinsert the 3D-plane(s) description in the mvc file.

POFFO
Old 17th May 2022, 14:16   #31  |  Link
kpic

Poffo;

Yes, that is interesting. I'll say I never needed to try this on 'standard' BR as I use software that can insert\re-insert audio\video\subtitles into the structure but it does not work with 4K titles. Thus the solution that LowDead gave me that worked for him.

We did in fact try the method you describe of just replacing the m2ts and clpi files and for both of us it exhibited odd behavior; the movie would start in the middle, none of the chapters work, or the movie would begin at the last chapter. I know for a fact one of the titles had as you mentioned had the mpls refer to more than one m2ts so perhaps in that case we just stumbled onto BDRebuilder fixing that issue? No matter, after I found that it was able to 'fix' it I never went back to the copy\paste method as I just sent it through BDRebuilder each time after that.

So perhaps anyone trying this should try to replace the m2ts\clpi using copy\paste\replace and if that gives the strange behavior when playing the title send it through BDRebuilder, it's not like the process would be too difficult and there is no real downside to ending up having to do that other than a bit of time.
Old 21st May 2022, 21:12   #32  |  Link
SquallMX
Special SeeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpic View Post
We did in fact try the method you describe of just replacing the m2ts and clpi files and for both of us it exhibited odd behavior; the movie would start in the middle, none of the chapters work, or the movie would begin at the last chapter.
There is an easy fix for that, on TSMuxerGUI just use the same "Start Mux Time" than the original disc, most comercial discs use 00:00:11.650. You can find the original value using BDEdit.
SquallMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2022, 23:53   #33  |  Link
POFFO

Thanks SquallMX. Totally right. Actually you have the IN_TIME already set when loading the 'right' mpls in tsMuxeR. same as for the chapters. Or if you need to load and add the m2ts/ssif files one by one as e.g. it was on two discs (2 mpls-es), then to set IN_TIME and chapters you can simply copy what you see loading each invidual mpls (or extracting same info from BDEdit or any other tool... or manually also directly from the mpls PlayListMark() starting at address you'll find at position 0x0C-0F (4 bytes))
Old 22nd May 2022, 17:17   #34  |  Link
LowDead
Elit Amans

I really want to contribute to the discussion, but sadly I got diagnosed with cancer a while ago and only occasionally got the strength to be in front of the computer. About the "fixing". If I remember correctly I only have to do this step with UHD and 3DBD titles. I have no idea what gets "fixed". Only know that it works.

//LD
Old 23rd May 2022, 10:56   #35  |  Link
POFFO

Very sorry to hear that. Cross finger for you. Wish you defeat it!

And thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. If I can develop further:

- For BD3D, BDEdit has a bug when adding/activating extra subs (PGs). It doesnt recreate the mpls correctly. It fails to add in the STN_Table_SS the plane description for the added PGs. But it can be done manually with an hexeditor. It is just 2 bytes per PG, 0x plan # (00-31) and 0x00, starting byte number 23 (counting starting from 1) of such table (its starting address at byte 0x17-20 (4 bytes value) +1 of the overall mpls).

Possible this is what BDRebuild take care of? But how can decide which plane# to include out of the existing ones (are up to 32)?

- For UHD im not aware of any issue, not sofar at least.

POFFO
Old 29th January 2023, 19:29   #36  |  Link
nickba

Hello, I see a lot of information here and thanks for all of them. I am trying to add subtitles to an UHD BD, but seems the latest version of BDEdit(the one that supports UHD BD) is not available to download. So seems my only option is to use the BDRebuilder to repair the files, but I could not figure out how to output the files from BDRebuilder without re-encode the video/audio as I want to preserve the original quality. So any help would be appreciated.
nickba is offline   Reply With Quote