Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th August 2021, 05:34   #1  |  Link
daringtofly

Please help determine AVCHD (or DivX) format for Onkyo BD-SP809

Been lurking for more than a decade, first time I came up against a problem I could not solve by searching
I recently moved into an apartment complex and they have a theater room decked out with a HUGE screen, 8.1 in-wall speakers ... and an 809 🙄 The only way to watch our own content is through this thing. Welcome to 2011! So I've been struggling to figure out what it wants when it displays "There is no playback file on the Memory Device or Device has incorrect/no format". According to the manual, my best bet is AVCHD. Storage (FAT32 SDHC <32GB or DVD-R/RW) "must have a proper file and folder structure meeting AVCHD format specifications." Onkyo's announcement mentions "DivX HD" but the manual claims no support for this.

Here are my goals with this thread:
  1. Find out, as exhaustively as possible, what this dang thing will play
  2. Find out what modern solutions are needed to make my (MOV, MKV, HEVC) content compatible
Ideally I'd have something like deank's AVCHD_PROFILES_TEST to run against it, or any of the old SDHC AVCHD structure tests for Panny TVs/BR players but those links are long dead. I guess the hardware is Funai-based and similar to the 808 but I can't find any info on its chipsets. Given FAT16/FAT32 formatting, would it be wrong to assume that it wants 8.3 filenames and 4GB split like the PS3?

What I've tried so far:
  • re-encoding with Handbrake to different Profiles/Levels, frame rates, etc.
  • various conversions (AVCHD BD5, BD9, crf / USB 4GB) with BDtoAVCHD
  • tsMuxeR's AVCHD folder output
  • tsMuxeR's Blu-ray folder output
  • Panny-style \PRIVATE\ sub-foldering for above
I have no idea if the problem is my audio stream (codec, bit depth, sample rate), video stream (container, format, frame rate, H.264 Profile and Level), subtitles (perhaps need to hardsub?), or the AVCHD folder structure. Absolutely nothing works. So I have a couple asks for the community:
  1. If you have an AVCHD native video camera, please take a few seconds of video and send me a ZIP file with the contents for testing
  2. If you have ever gotten this player to display AVCHD or "DivX HD" content, please let me know how it's done
  3. If you know of tools or resources to test an unknown player's capabilities, post them up
It's worth a lot to me to get this working, so I'm willing to kick $10 to your favorite charity. I'm counting on you! 🤞
Attached Images

daringtofly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avchd, compatibility, divx, hardware player