Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th May 2017, 15:25   #43881  |  Link
mrmojo666

HI Madshi,

I'm on AMD rx460 17.5.2, win10 cu and philips 55pus6501

win10 API

actions to get HDR working
  1. activate HDR from display settings
  2. start a video HDR file
  3. press windows button on keyboard to pop up the star menu.

in this way i got correct colors and i get HDR activated on TV

obviusly this is not the aspected results:

the needs to activate HDR from display setting makes desktop and other softwares awful
also having start menu opened is not the best to watch films

if i avoid to press win button to get start menu all is washed out

thank you for you effort!

I
Attached Images

mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 16:16   #43882  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
HI Madshi,

I'm on AMD rx460 17.5.2, win10 cu and philips 55pus6501

win10 API

actions to get HDR working
  1. activate HDR from display settings
  2. start a video HDR file
  3. press windows button on keyboard to pop up the star menu.

in this way i got correct colors and i get HDR activated on TV

obviusly this is not the aspected results:

the needs to activate HDR from display setting makes desktop and other softwares awful
also having start menu opened is not the best to watch films

if i avoid to press win button to get start menu all is washed out

thank you for you effort!

I
Sounds similar to what is happening to me. I can only get it to display correctly by 1. enabling HDR in Win10 system settings. 2. hover the mouse over some system tray icons or clicking MadVR icon and leaving that showing. 3. moving the mouse to the top or bottom of the display in MPC-HC. I have not tried the winkey but I am guessing it's something to do with how Win10 is displaying certain desktop components like popup notifications and such? Either way HDR colors and levels do not output correctly otherwise. Film & TV plays HDR correctly with no intervention.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 16:35   #43883  |  Link
mrmojo666

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Sounds similar to what is happening to me. I can only get it to display correctly by 1. enabling HDR in Win10 system settings. 2. hover the mouse over some system tray icons or clicking MadVR icon and leaving that showing. 3. moving the mouse to the top or bottom of the display in MPC-HC. I have not tried the winkey but I am guessing it's something to do with how Win10 is displaying certain desktop components like popup notifications and such? Either way HDR colors and levels do not output correctly otherwise. Film & TV plays HDR correctly with no intervention.
I confirm here is the same.

just i think HDR should be activated by MadVR when it is necessary because activating HDR from display settings breaks all the other things desktop, other, software etc

EDIT: i want just to add that changing pixel format in video driver doesn't change this behavior

Last edited by mrmojo666; 26th May 2017 at 16:37.
mrmojo666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 17:17   #43884  |  Link
lunnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmojo666 View Post
I confirm here is the same.

just i think HDR should be activated by MadVR when it is necessary because activating HDR from display settings breaks all the other things desktop, other, software etc

Yea, seem to me like this will be the best course of action until Microsoft find a better way to handle it.

If we could just start a HDR video, MadVr detect is is HDR then call the windows API and enable HDR. then we I close the video, and API call again to switch it off. that will be awesome at this point.

But of couse does the windows API allow to do such a thing? probably not at this point... But I will let Madshi comment on that

Of course even without that if Microsoft could remove the stupid popup asking if we want to keep this configuration when switching HDR on and OFF, I could deal with having to switch HDR on and off manually, but this popup and the too short time given(10 seconds I think) most of the time is not enough on my JVC projector, and that gets very anoing.
lunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 18:51   #43885  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlar42 View Post
If you can switch to a refresh rate equivalent to each movie framerate, I'd say no. But Smooth Motion works really well if you don't want to go through the hassle of custom resolutions/refresh rates/etc.

You might want to read the guide I wrote about the related problems: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=173571

If you use Smooth Motion you can forget about that. I choose to care but, again, Smooth Motion does an excellent job.

Edit: one thing I forgot: Smooth Motion uses some GPU resources that you might decide are better spent on other portions of madVR. You need to test stuff to understand what might be better for you.

Yeah,I mean to stay on 60hz and if there is any benefit beyond 23 fps.Thanks.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 22:36   #43886  |  Link
imhh11

So I reinstalled the latest Nvidia drivers , reinstalled madvr (setting reset),lav filters and mpc, then rebooted.
HDR passthrough windowed (fullscreen or not) still gives me a black screen(hdr logo appears). Screen stay black even after closing mpc/madvr.

I really don't understand how you guys can get HDR working windowed.
On my end only FSE is working properly....

I have two PC (win10 CU), one i7 7700k GTX1060 and one i72600 GTX1070 and both are doing the same thing.
imhh11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 22:45   #43887  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien147 View Post
Yeah,I mean to stay on 60hz and if there is any benefit beyond 23 fps.Thanks.
i can see the difference between true 23p and 60 hz SM.
but getting 23p in a screen doesn't mean they can handle this properly. the number of 2016 screen that can't handle 23p properly is terrifying. the Samsung KU series can't do such simple stuff.

some people care about frame interpolation and that doesn't work well with SM what so ever at the TV side.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 00:15   #43888  |  Link
xabregas

remind me again. Whats the difference between mpc-hc internal subtitle renderer and xyvsfilter/xysubfilter?

Im using madvr but i cant seem to achieve the position of subtitles in the bottom of the videos with black bars even with the zoom control in madvr checked or unchecked. The subtitles start in the bottom but througt the movi they go up to the movie position. That doesn happen with mpc-ISR. My question is. Is mpc-ISR doing anyhting extra to the video image im not aware??
xabregas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 00:45   #43889  |  Link
clsid

That happens because of a bug in XySubFilter.

There is no benefit in using XySubFilter except for a few idiotically complex Anime fansubs where is renders a bit faster. If you want something that just works reliably, stick with ISR.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 01:15   #43890  |  Link
petran79

Madvr has an issue with Potplayer.
If I open video files they refuse to play automatically, unless I press space button. Same if there is a playlist and next video is about to be played.
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 07:07   #43891  |  Link
Sunset1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by petran79 View Post
Madvr has an issue with Potplayer.
If I open video files they refuse to play automatically, unless I press space button.
I don't think it is a potplayer specific fault. I use MPC-HC and I have the same behavior. Sometimes files starts how they should, but sometimes I have to press "space" to start them...
Old 27th May 2017, 08:17   #43892  |  Link
petran79

happens with the most recent version of the player. Reverted to a previous version and videos play automatically
petran79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 08:36   #43893  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
That happens because of a bug in XySubFilter.

There is no benefit in using XySubFilter except for a few idiotically complex Anime fansubs where is renders a bit faster. If you want something that just works reliably, stick with ISR.
oh and try the ISR on UHD even not that complicated subtitles make you problems.

the biggest problem of the ISR is that it doesn't use the "new" subtitle interface. ISR is not correct by a 3D LUT for example. well it can read the colorspace flags of ASS files and use them but it doesn't know the output colorspace.

it would be nice if we could just forget the XY vsfilter/XY subfilter and move on to a bug fixed xy version, a ISR that can do the same or something new like libassmod but we are not that far yet.
Old 27th May 2017, 09:14   #43894  |  Link
jmone

Setting up a new JVC 7500 PJ and I'm having some issues with 3D. madVR OSD is showing a 3D rendering path but it shows it is scaling from 1920x1080 --> 5720 x 3240 and it is (of course) dropping frames all over the place.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Nathan

- JRiver / GTX 1070 / Win 10 64-Bit
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 09:15   #43895  |  Link
huhn

canyou start with a screen of the OSD?
Old 27th May 2017, 09:18   #43896  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

A quick look at the specs suggests that the projector needs to be in 1920x1080 mode for 3D to work anyway, so should do that and avoid all troubles.
Old 27th May 2017, 09:32   #43897  |  Link
huhn

well madVR "should" output 1080p with frame packed 3D anyway.

quite odd...
Old 27th May 2017, 10:24   #43898  |  Link
YxP

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
The subtitles start in the bottom but througt the movi they go up to the movie position.
This is most likely a known bug with external .srt files and italic text (if I remember correctly). Shouldn't happen with all subtitles.
YxP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 12:38   #43899  |  Link
Damien147

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
i can see the difference between true 23p and 60 hz SM.
but getting 23p in a screen doesn't mean they can handle this properly. the number of 2016 screen that can't handle 23p properly is terrifying. the Samsung KU series can't do such simple stuff.

some people care about frame interpolation and that doesn't work well with SM what so ever at the TV side.

I tried (madvrs)display modes back then and returned to 60hz and SM cause you were right.
Just yesterday I tried the new option ( "hack Direct3D to make 24.000Hz and 60.000Hz work") and it seems to work wonders,for 23.976 it gives me 1 frame drop every 1 hour which seems good but it disables PC mode.
Now I am confused which is the best choice.
Damien147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2017, 13:39   #43900  |  Link
jmone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
A quick look at the specs suggests that the projector needs to be in 1920x1080 mode for 3D to work anyway, so should do that and avoid all troubles.
Yeah something is odd. I've even tried putting the PC in 1920x1080/24/3D mode first in the nVidia control panel (I had to also select YCbCr over RGB or I get odd colours as well).... but same thing. I'll play more tomorrow
Thanks
Nathan

edit: and the PJ reports it is getting 1920x1080/24/3D

Last edited by jmone; 27th May 2017 at 13:42.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling