Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 26th June 2015, 18:18   #1  |  Link
Ely

Proper IVTC using exclusively ffmpeg

Hellow !

I have a source that is 1080i MPEG-2 NTSC TS running at 29.97fps. I'm trying to achieve a proper inverse telecine but I'm running on a linux environment and I don't want to hassle with avisynth.

After a LOT of testing, this is the command that gives me the best results :

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.1080i.ts -vf fieldmatch,yadif=deint=interlaced,mpdecimate=max=-4:hi=1000:frac=1 -r 23.976 out.mp4
For clarity I removed the a/v codecs parameters because they're not important here (standard libx264/aac stuff).

This produces an excellent IVTC and the resulting video looks awesome 95% of the time. For the remaining 5%, there are frame misses/duplicates due to the mpdecimate filter either failing to detect a duplicate or dropping a valid frame.

I decided to go with mpdecimate instead of decimate because it gave me better and more consistent results.

I also took the decision of setting frac=1, disabling the frac/lo part of the mpdecimate filter because I found it to produce worse duplicate detection (https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#mpdecimate)

If you have any idea of what I could change to improve my IVTC, I'll take it. Thanks!
Ely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2015, 14:44   #2  |  Link
Ely

Soo for anyone interested, I've come back with 2 things :

- For some kind of telecined content, ffmpeg will do a great job of IVTC with the following simple filters :

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.1080i.ts -vf fieldmatch,yadif=deint=interlaced,decimate out.mp4
- For other kind of content that is still 29.97i with a mix of progressive and interlaced frames but where ffmpeg fails to IVTC using fieldmatch+decimate, I had to pipe using another program, yuvkineco :

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.1080i.ts -vf fieldmatch,yadif=deint=interlaced -f yuv4mpegpipe -pix_fmt yuv420p - | yuvkineco -F 1 -n 2 -i -1 | x264 --demuxer y4m -o out.mp4 -
The result turned out really great.

Last edited by Ely; 21st July 2015 at 21:30.
Ely is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1080i, 23.976, 29.97, ffmpeg, ivtc