Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 19th September 2017, 06:48   #21  |  Link
LemMotlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I'd never add black borders to video myself. Unless you're encoding for "industry standard" compliance because you want to author a DVD/Bluray disc, and nobody does that any more,
Yes they do. Not everyone uses non-standard viewing methods and stupid smart-tv's that won't play correctly. Don't project your lower standards onto others..
LemMotlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 10:16   #22  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemMotlow View Post
Yes they do. Not everyone uses non-standard viewing methods and stupid smart-tv's that won't play correctly. Don't project your lower standards onto others..
Did you have a bad experience with a particular TV, because I think you'll find a smart TV is a fairly standard way to view video.
Honestly... High Profile, Level 4.1 support is fairly universal now. The hardware decoder in my 6yo Android smartphone has no problem decoding 1080p, and like virtually every media playing device made today that isn't a Bluray player, it has no disc drive.

Even my 81yo mother has a hard drive connected to the USB input of her smart TV and it'll play all the common formats. The only thing it doesn't do is display anamorphic MKVs/MP4s correctly so I resize everything to square pixels. These days, when she buys a DVD, she gives it to me to rip/re-encode and put on the hard drive for her.

Probably the best media player in our house is the 5yo Sony Bluray player. Like virtually all Bluray players now, it can play video via it's USB input. It supports anamorphic MKVs/MP4s correctly and doesn't care about the resolution. It'll cope with extremely high bitrates (high enough to make my old video card's hardware decoder stutter), and like the TV's media player it doesn't require the use of restrictive Bluray compatibility settings when encoding.

Not that it's as much of a problem in PAL-Land as most PAL players/TVs seem to be NTSC devices with PAL abilities tacked on and therefore they'll play either format, but if you live in NTSC-Land you'll probably find any player that'll play video via a USB input won't care about the frame rate, unless of course you burn it to disc in an "industry standard" format. It probably won't be bothered by variable frame rate video either.

My standards aren't lower. If anything they're higher because they're not unnecessarily restricted.

Last edited by hello_hello; 20th September 2017 at 04:06.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 10:28   #23  |  Link
LemMotlow

hello_hello, I realize that lowering quality to crap levels is OK for your bad eyesigfht, but not for my mine or anyone I know. Crap is crap whether it's popular or not with your aging crowd of the half-bliind and the otherwise visually dysfunctional ., There's enough bad quality around wityhout your Walmart attitude making it tougher for readers who come here looking for quality methods and getting the YouTube treatment instead.

Sorry to disagree with you, dude. Sorry to hear your high-tech lowbrow grandma is losing her eyesight and thinks iphone playback is "quality". And sorry to find that mediocrity, chaos, and sloppy design these days is so arrogantly defended by your kind. It's a sad day for technology and for our culture. You're getting to be too much like the machines you work with.

Last edited by LemMotlow; 19th September 2017 at 10:35.
LemMotlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 10:53   #24  |  Link
hello_hello

Wow LemMotlow, you certainly managed to confabulate whole array of strawman arguments for your last past.

So let me get this straight. If I crop the borders from a DVD video and re-encode it, I'm reducing the quality in a way that wouldn't happen if I encoded it while leaving the borders uncropped, or if I added back the borders for an industry standard resolution? Is that what you're saying, because in the context of this thread I'm not seeing what else you could be implying and it seems pretty silly.

For the record, I invariably spend a bit of time playing around with filtering when encoding and I'm disappointed if the encode doesn't look at least as good as the source. Often the encoded version ends up looking a little better, especially when encoding DVDs (thanks to better IVTC/de-interlacing or noise removal etc), so save your childish iphone quality comments for a post where your arguments don't require any substance.

By the way, I never mentioned my grandmother, or anything about iphone quality, so maybe before your next round of insults you could try reading my post properly.

It's pretty simple. Virtually no playback methods today, aside from DVD/Bluray complaint discs, require "industry standard" resolutions and that has absolutely zero to do with quality, only the resolution and need for black borders, although I'm sure an iphone today would cope with bitrates well in excess of Bluray complaint bitrates anyway.

Last edited by hello_hello; 19th September 2017 at 11:04.
Old 19th September 2017, 17:56   #25  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
I'd never add black borders to video myself. Unless you're encoding for "industry standard" compliance because you want to author a DVD/Bluray disc, and nobody does that any more, ....
Well, me for example (I might be nobody though ).
When I send videos of the grandchildren to their elderly grandparents for example, there is no way to do it via internet, memory stick (explaining where to plug the stick into their TV or palyer - from rear or side or ....) nor putting it onto a external HD - and try to explain why it possibly failed....
The only doable way is to put the material on a disc in an industry compliant format so they can play it via their industry standard DVD/Blu-ray player - hasslefree and undistorted.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2017, 23:54   #26  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
When I send videos of the grandchildren to their elderly grandparents for example, there is no way to do it via internet, memory stick (explaining where to plug the stick into their TV or palyer - from rear or side or ....) nor putting it onto a external HD - and try to explain why it possibly failed....
The only doable way is to put the material on a disc in an industry compliant format so they can play it via their industry standard DVD/Blu-ray player - hasslefree and undistorted.
Yes there's always the grandmother exception, or as we should refer to it now, the grandmother/LemMotlow exception, but the last time I mentioned it I was accused of being a grandmother hater.
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...e3#post2426894

The pertinent question though..... Is DVD/Bluray compliant video your primary output format, or is it some other format from which you make a grandmother copy?
Old 20th September 2017, 09:11   #27  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Yes there's always the grandmother exception ....
Grandmothers are not the exception, but the rule. I am pretty sure that even you have or had two of them
(Sorry for having left the topic)
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avisynth, ffmpeg, interlace, ivtc, telecine