Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 4th May 2021, 19:24   #19101  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripmann View Post
Why? What's the problem with it? have almost no knowledge of denoising algorithms, but from my own experimentation, I seem to get the best results from combining MDegrain 1 or 2 (depending on the grain amount) with an additional, very light denoise from KNLMeansCL. Using slightly different parameters, MDegrain removes the main grain and KNLMeansCL slightly optimizes the video for downsampling. I'm sure there can be a better way, I but haven't found one yet.
Well.I think SMDegrain does a better job than either !!!

I have been using that for a few weeks, and like it a lot !!!
Old 4th May 2021, 19:28   #19102  |  Link
Ripmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Well.I think SMDegrain does a better job than either !!!

I have been using that for a few weeks, and like it a lot !!!

Thanks for the advice, I'll look into it.
Ripmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2021, 19:58   #19103  |  Link
kempodragon

Pauly, MVC is indeed the 3d only info of the frame. I don't know about your second question. Personally, I dislike the very concept of MVC. Since the movie is played frame sequentially on 3d Blu-rays, with the left eye generally being the main frame and the right eye frame having the 3d info, I feel it should be stored as a true frame sequential. Dark Shikari created a lossless frame sequential test file with left and right full frames awhile back. Thanks for tip on the command line, I'll test it out this weekend.
kempodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2021, 23:29   #19104  |  Link
Ripmann

Pauly, is there a chance you can help me with installing/using the SMDegrain plugin? A sample script, perhaps? I downloaded SMDegrain.avsi to test it, placed it into AviSynth plugins, and then tried calling the function in a custom script. I tried several variations, but it went something like this:

Code:
LoadPlugin("[INSTALLATION PATH]\RipBot264\Tools\AviSynth plugins\SMDegrain.avsi")
video=SMDegrain(tr=2,thSAD=300,contrasharp=true,refinemotion=true,lsb=true)
But it keeps failing. I'm sure I'm missing something embarrasingly basic, but I never bothered to learn AviSynth and its scripting so I'm shooting in the dark here.
Old Yesterday, 01:37   #19105  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Pauly, is there a chance you can help me with installing/using the SMDegrain plugin? A sample script, perhaps? I downloaded SMDegrain.avsi to test it, placed it into AviSynth plugins, and then tried calling the function in a custom script. I tried several variations, but it went something like this:

Code:
LoadPlugin("[INSTALLATION PATH]\RipBot264\Tools\AviSynth plugins\SMDegrain.avsi")
video=SMDegrain(tr=2,thSAD=300,contrasharp=true,refinemotion=true,lsb=true)
But it keeps failing. I'm sure I'm missing something embarrasingly basic, but I never bothered to learn AviSynth and its scripting so I'm shooting in the dark here.
Well, well, well....

Nice try, and you're definitely on the right track, but it's not that simple, it needs other "dependencies" to work.

May I draw your attention to this post :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...89#post1941489
Old Yesterday, 02:29   #19106  |  Link
Ripmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Dunne View Post
Well, well, well....

Nice try, and you're definitely on the right track, but it's not that simple, it needs other "dependencies" to work.

May I draw your attention to this post :-

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...89#post1941489
Oh, right, the dependencies. Zs_RF_Shared and the rest. Totally missed that. I'll see if I can install them manually before bothering you again. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 03:04   #19107  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Oh, right, the dependencies. Zs_RF_Shared and the rest. Totally missed that. I'll see if I can install them manually before bothering you again. Thanks!
Ah yes, now you're on the right track

I have 4 different SMDegrain filters in that package, and they do require different dependencies according to what you want the filter to do.

You'll also have to pay VERY close attention to the way the instructions / command line is written in RB.

1 missed character can make all the difference to whether it works or not !!!

Good luck
Old Yesterday, 07:04   #19108  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

Quote:
Is there a way to change the default values for the denoise settings? The KNLMeansCL ones are too strong for me, even at KNLMeansCL1.
I usually change them in the JobX.avs files, but I'd prefer to just set up the defaults and forget about it if possible.
(sometimes I forget and have to redo a ten-hour job because of it.)
Hello again, Ripmann,

I thought I'd throw this little comparison chart together, so you can see how the KNLMeansCL filter(s) & scripts have changed,
and what actually changes thru the different settings (it's mainly the h=x value).

And how easy it would be to make your own "Custom" KNLMeansCL filters, if you still want to use them.

You will also easily notice why KNLMeans1 is a lot "stronger" than it used to be..
=======================================================================================================

So these are the script's for KNLMeansCL from RipBot 1.25.0

This is Mono Noise setting "2"

#After_Prefetch_Denoise
LoadPlugin("D:\RipBot264v1.25.1 (2020)\Tools\AviSynth plugins\KNLMeansCL\KNLMeansCL.dll")
video=KNLMeansCL(video,d=1, a=2, s=4, h=2, device_type="GPU", device_id=0)

This is Mono Noise setting "4"

#After_Prefetch_Denoise
LoadPlugin("D:\RipBot264v1.25.1 (2020)\Tools\AviSynth plugins\KNLMeansCL\KNLMeansCL.dll")
video=KNLMeansCL(video,d=1, a=2, s=4, h=4, device_type="GPU", device_id=0)

And with Adaptive option Mono Noise setting "2"

#After_Prefetch_Denoise
denoisemask=ConvertToY(video)
denoisedvideo=KNLMeansCL(video,d=1, a=2, s=4, h=2, device_type="GPU", device_id=0)
video=Overlay(video,denoisedvideo,mask=denoisemask,opacity=1.0)

=======================================================================================================

And these are the script's for KNLMeansCL from RipBot 1.26.0

KNLMeans1

#After_Prefetch_Denoise
LoadPlugin("D:\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\KNLMeansCL\KNLMeansCL.dll")
video=ConvertToYUV444(video).KNLMeansCL(d=0, a=2, s=4, h=4, device_type="GPU", device_id=0, channels="YUV").ConvertToYUV420

KNLMeans3

#After_Prefetch_Denoise
LoadPlugin("D:\RipBot264v1.26.0\Tools\AviSynth plugins\KNLMeansCL\KNLMeansCL.dll")
video=ConvertToYUV444(video).KNLMeansCL(d=1, a=2, s=4, h=4, device_type="GPU", device_id=0, channels="YUV").ConvertToYUV420

KNLMeans5

#After_Prefetch_Denoise
video=ConvertToYUV444(video).KNLMeansCL(d=2, a=2, s=4, h=4, device_type="GPU", device_id=0, channels="YUV").ConvertToYUV420

And just so you can figure out what each "value" does...check this out :-

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/KNLMeansCL

Tags
264, 265, appletv, avchd, bluray, gui, iphone, ipod, ps3, psp, ripbot264, x264 2-pass, x264 gui, x264_64, x265, xbox360