Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 20th October 2008, 14:16   #21  |  Link
aggiemarine07

Well I tried that and the audio is still choppy. I spoke with a friend of mine about who does IT in another department and he thought it might be the on-board audio (he has a similar situation when he played games on his system). He said that he just bought a decent sound card, put it in, and viola everything worked perfectly (and actually quality improved). I am going to borrow his sound card and see if that works within the next day or two and I will post my result on here.
aggiemarine07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 15:41   #22  |  Link
Oopho2ei

Please also change the thread topic because this has nothing to do with VC-1. It is H.264/MPEG-4 AVC.
Old 21st October 2008, 04:33   #23  |  Link
aggiemarine07

Well it did considerably improve the shorter m2ts files (the preview movies that are usually shown at the beginning; like James Bond and such) but when I still try to play the movie itself (spiderman3) it still has the buggy sound. Of course this is all under WinXp, tomorrow I'll try it under Ubuntu.

How do I change the forum title?
Old 21st October 2008, 11:10   #24  |  Link
TomZ

Edit your first post.
TomZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2008, 03:37   #25  |  Link
kkloster21

@aggiemarine07:

anything to report on performance in linux? were you able to watch movies with smooth sound with the new audio card?

Also - have you been able to watch any movies with trueHD tracks? I'm thinking that with a discrete sound card it may work (I haven't been able to play any movies with trueHD tracks and i have onboard sound).
kkloster21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2008, 10:00   #26  |  Link
aggiemarine07

kkloster

No it did not work well at all. It had roughly the same performance as in XP. I think that to do anything with bluray you HAVE to have dual core or more to do it even though Cyberlink says that it can be done on a Pentium D 3.2.

This Christmas (or possibly sooner if a good deal comes around) im going to get a Core 2 Quad system, hopefully thatll be enough horsepower to get the job done. I hoping that prices will drop bc of the whole economic downturn and such but if a good deal comes around I'm buying it and if everything goes well then I'll post here.
Old 29th October 2008, 00:29   #27  |  Link
kkloster21

@aggiemarine

have you tried watching any movies that have ONLY a trueHD track? (as in no regular dolby digital 5.1 track). I cannot get audio from any movies that have only trueHD. I am thinking that it may be my onboard sound. did you try any movies with trueHD tracks before and after you added the discrete sound card?

it would really help me zero in on this problem.
Old 29th October 2008, 13:31   #28  |  Link
aggiemarine07

kkloster

In all my previous posts I tried to get mplayer to work with a dumpHD'ed version of SpiderMan3 (which I believe had trueHD sound on it; at least thats what the back of the bluray case says anyways). I borrowed a Creative Xfi sound card from a friend of mine to see if it would fix my issues with bluray playback on my system. I would assume that every time I tried to playback the movie it was grabbing the trueHD track, should/can I have it get the dolby 5.1 sound? Hope that helps.
Old 29th October 2008, 13:39   #29  |  Link
kkloster21

aggie -

spiderman 3 doesn't have a regular dolby digital 5.1 surround track in english (i don't think) so if you were playing it in english, you were playing either the trueHD track or the PCM track - are you sure that the movie was playing in english? sometimes i have thought movies were playing in english until the dialog started and i heard some dubbed voices speaking spanish or portuguese. as i said, spiderman 3 does have a PCM track (which i am also unable to play) could you check the AID that is mplayer is outputting when you are getting english sound? usually AID 4352 is the first ID number unless you are using -demuxer lavf, and then it starts at ID 1.

thanks for the replies.
Old 3rd November 2008, 14:47   #30  |  Link
aggiemarine07

sorry its been a while since I checked back, I will try your suggestions tonight and post either sometime tonight or tomorrow morning (I work the graveyard shift so staying up late isnt a problem for me
Old 4th November 2008, 10:10   #31  |  Link
aggiemarine07

kkloster

I tried your suggestions this evening and no dice. The video was still choppy for me when I tried to play it and I could barely tell it was English (still not 100% sure because it was so choppy). You were right though when I tried to play the movie without any flags it played it in either French or Portuguese (and slightly choppy frame rate, although less than when I tried to play it in English). Is something else you want me to try? Also keep in mind that I no longer have my friends sound card so I am back to onboard sound on my system.
Old 5th November 2008, 19:57   #32  |  Link
kkloster21

hey aggie -

thanks for checking that stuff. i was trying to figure out if you were able to playback trueHD and/or PCM tracks from blu-ray movies. it sounds to me like you are able to play trueHD and PCM tracks since you said it sounds like english if you specify the AID (and there is no regular dolby 5.1 english track on that disc so if it was english then you were playing either the trueHD or the PCM) and you also said that it is choppier when you force it to play the english track (the trueHD and PCM tracks are much higher bitrate than the dolby tracks so it makes sense that your system would have a harder time with them). which AIDs have you tried by the way? 4352 and 4353? it would be great if you could determine if both of those are english tracks.

thanks again for your help.

lastly, have you tried all of the different flags that are supposed to improve performance when playing back blu-rays? i don't know them all but i know that there are several things you can try. maybe you could post what flags you have tried and we can see if there are more settings to try that could improve your performance.

Tags
bluray, ffvc1, h264, mplayer, vlc