Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2018, 09:12   #1481  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Welcome to the Doom 9 forums, Ant Man.

Unfortunately, I have never seen this error myself, although some other users have has similar problems (see here and here). Since I can't reproduce the crash, I don't know how to solve it.

Perhaps it's something wrong with the version of x264 distributed with BD3D2MK3D. Try to download an older version (here) or the very latest one. Overwrite the x264_x64.exe in the toolset folder with the version you have just downloaded and relaunch __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd.

If that doesn't work, perhaps there is a bug in the current version of MakeMKV. I have already received some complains about MakeMKV not working correctly any more, but it is difficult for me to verify if it is really the culprit. Anyway, if a new version is available, try it.

You can also try to change the settings of the MVC decoder to check if the same problem happens when using DGMVCSource instead of FRIMSource (or the opposite). Try also to disable the hardware acceleration of the MVC decoder. (See the Settings -> MVC Decoder menu.) You will have to relaunch the creation of the project to check the new settings. Try to do some tests with a short clip.

Disabling the hw acceleration has been sufficient to solve the problem for at least one person (see here), so try that anyway. If disabling it solved the problem, that may mean that your Intel CPU drivers are outdated. Check if an update is available.

Good luck! In the meantime, I will do some tests here, but I think that everything will be fine. Of course, if you find the origin of the problem, please report it here. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I will be in holidays during June, and I will probably be unable to reply here. Sorry in advance if I can't help you during that period.

Last edited by r0lZ; 26th May 2018 at 09:24.
Old 26th May 2018, 09:38   #1482  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Just some hints to facilitate your tests with the other MVC decoder or with hardware acceleration enabled or disabled, without having to relaunch the creation of the whole project each times.

Edit the file __ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs with any text editor. You will see lines similar to this:
Code:
#LoadPlugin("D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\FRIMSource.dll")
LoadPlugin("D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\DGMVCDecode.dll")

[...]

# Load the two video streams (114391 frames per stream)
#interleaved = FRIMSource("mvc", "01001.track_4113.264", "01001.track_4114.mvc", num_frames = 114391, cache = 2, platform = "")
interleaved = DGMVCSource("01001.track_4113.264", "01001.track_4114.mvc", view = 0, frames = 114391, mode = "auto") # Old syntax for mode: hw = 0
The code above uses DGMVCSource as the MVC decoder. To check with FRIMSource, just comment out the two lines with "DGMVC" and uncomment the two lines with "FRIM", like this:
Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\FRIMSource.dll")
#LoadPlugin("D:\Tcl\work\BD3D2MK3D\toolset\DGMVCDecode.dll")

[...]

# Load the two video streams (114391 frames per stream)
interleaved = FRIMSource("mvc", "01001.track_4113.264", "01001.track_4114.mvc", num_frames = 114391, cache = 2, platform = "")
#interleaved = DGMVCSource("01001.track_4113.264", "01001.track_4114.mvc", view = 0, frames = 114391, mode = "auto") # Old syntax for mode: hw = 0
To turn off the hardware acceleration for DGMVCSource, you have to change the mode = "auto" or mode = "hw" parameter to mode = "sw".

For FRIMSource, change platform = "" or platform = "hw" to platform = "sw".

Then, relaunch __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd. If that works, don't forget to change the setting in the BD3D2MK3D GUI, and let me know...

Last edited by r0lZ; 26th May 2018 at 09:41.
Old 26th May 2018, 19:34   #1483  |  Link
Ant Man

Thanks very much for these suggestions, rOIZ. I will give them a try.

Ant Man
Old 27th May 2018, 21:07   #1484  |  Link
Ant Man

Hello again, rOIZ...

Well I feel very embarrassed. After trying a few of your suggestions I decided to take a look at my AviSynth installation and it turned out I had been trying to make BD3D2MK3D work with AviSynth 2.5.8. I uninstalled 2.5.8 and installed 2.6 and all returned to normal.

Thanks again for trying to help me, I really appreciate it.

I hope you have a great time on your vacation!

Ant Man
Old 27th May 2018, 21:40   #1485  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No problem. And it is good to know that old versions of avisynth are not compatible. I did not know that.

Have nice encodings!
Old 11th June 2018, 20:03   #1486  |  Link
ggtop

Java Installation

Hi r0lZ,

first time user here. I read about the requirement to have Java installed for certain functions.
Now my question if there is a way to point BD3D2MK3D to a portable Java version. Maybe through editing an ini file as it surely won't be detected automatically.

Hope this hasn't been asked and answered several times...

Thanks,
ggtop
Old 11th June 2018, 22:42   #1487  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

It's possible, yes.
Be sure to close BD3D2MK3D. Then, open BD3D2MK3D.cfg (in the program's directory) and edit the following line:
Code:
set ::config(javapath)         {C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_171\bin\java.exe}
Paste your path to java.exe between the {}.
That should work.
Old 12th June 2018, 19:01   #1488  |  Link
ggtop

Thank you. It works. First I re-enabled the Java check through setting:
Code:
set ::config(nojavawarning)    false
and then entered the path:
Code:
set ::config(javapath) K:\PortableApps\CommonFiles\Java\bin\java.exe}
Hope I can try the final file on the weekend.

Thanks,
ggtop
Old 12th June 2018, 19:10   #1489  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtop View Post
Code:
set ::config(javapath) K:\PortableApps\CommonFiles\Java\bin\java.exe}
Take care. The opening { is missing. Without it, BD3D2MK3D may not start, and the path will not be taken into account anyway.
Old 12th June 2018, 21:05   #1490  |  Link
ggtop

Eagle eye :-)
Obviously I missed it when pasting into the code block. "{" is there. Thank you for looking into it.

ggtop
Old 12th September 2018, 01:37   #1491  |  Link
WhoIsRich

First, thank you for making this tool, it's been very helpful converting my 3D blurays to a format that works on VR headsets.

As other seem to have experienced, occasionally I would find encoding failed from X264 crashing.
By repeatedly running and closing the launcher bat, I could trigger this randomly but frequent enough to test.
So I went through the parameters to see if changing them made a difference, and this was what I found:

In __ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs there is a line generated that looks like this:

interleaved = FRIMSource("mvc", "00800.track_4113.264", "00800.track_4114.mvc", num_frames = 137995, cache = 2, platform = "")

According to the 'FRIMSource_readme.pdf' when MVC is used, the layout parameter is mandatory, so I changed the line:

interleaved = FRIMSource("mvc", "00800.track_4113.264", "00800.track_4114.mvc", num_frames = 137995, cache = 2, platform = "", layout = "alt")

After this the crashing stopped, and more importantly, removing it caused the crashing to return!
It would be great if you could make a version that includes layout for further testing.
Another minor observation, in the Help, About, it says use Avisynth 2.5 instead of 2.6.0
Old 18th September 2018, 12:15   #1492  |  Link
Pino72

How to crop to 1920x800 for each eye with 3D Movies

Hi,

I manage to convert 3D Bluray no problem but would like to crop in my case the roque one video from 1920x1080 to 1920x800 (2.40 AR). When I use the crop paramter for x.264 it takes away 140 from top and bottom of entire 3D file which would normally be with a 100% TAB 1902x2160. I want 1920x1600 but not cropped from top and bottom but top and bottom from both pictures. I hope I made myself clear.

Normally I use dvdfab but it does not work properly with this 3D Bluray and gives me a skip in video/audio after a couple of seconds.

So how can I crop from left and right eye picture the black bars and not from the whole TAB Picture?

Otherwise working really good inlcuding rendering forced subs into video, I like alot! Thanks.

Cheers

Last edited by Pino72; 18th September 2018 at 13:17.
Old 18th September 2018, 17:03   #1493  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Welcome to the Doom9 forums, WhoIsRich, and sorry for replying so late. I have not been notified of your post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsRich View Post
It would be great if you could make a version that includes layout for further testing.
Not sure why the layout argument is mandatory, but I can easily add it. Thanks for the suggestion.
[EDIT] I did some tests with layout = "alt" and it works well. But I have never experienced crashes without that argument, so I can't judge its usefulness.
According to the doc, it is necessary only to properly synchronize the audio and video, but since the avisynth script generated by BD3D2MK3D drops the audio, it should be useless. I added it in my code anyway, because it doesn't hurt, and it is possible that it fixes some random crashes, although I don't understand why (since the default layout is alt anyway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsRich View Post
Another minor observation, in the Help, About, it says use Avisynth 2.5 instead of 2.6.0
Oops, yes, I will fix that too.

Thanks!

Last edited by r0lZ; 18th September 2018 at 18:07.
Old 18th September 2018, 17:12   #1494  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Welcome to the Doom9 forums, Pino72!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pino72 View Post
So how can I crop from left and right eye picture the black bars and not from the whole TAB Picture?
Sorry. I have already explained several times why it's a very, VERY bad idea to crop a 3D movie. I will not repeat the 1000 arguments against cropping again (see here and here for some), but take in mind that the de-facto standard for 3D REQUIRES a 16:9 picture. Dot. Everything else should be prohibited.

So, sorry, but although it is possible to add a crop in the avisynth script (and modify a couple of other files to take it into account), I will not explain how to do it, because I don't want to encourage you (and possibly other peoples) to do it. And if DVDFab lets you crop 3D videos, stop using it!

Last edited by r0lZ; 18th September 2018 at 17:26.
Old 19th September 2018, 09:14   #1495  |  Link
Pino72

Fine for me, never had any problems with 2.40 AR 3D Full TAB mkv's in PowerDVD or Kodi etc. If it's too much of a hassle to crop I will leave it uncropped when using your tool no prob.
Old 19th September 2018, 10:32   #1496  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for understanding.

I agree that most software players can play cropped 3D movies without too many problems. But most 3D TVs (including probably all Samsung TVs) need the full 16:9 picture, as otherwise they stretch it to occupy the whole screen, and of course, the image is terribly deformed. Perhaps you will buy later a 3D TV that will be incompatible with your cropped movies. Too bad!

Also, the 3D subtitles are positioned for the native 16:9 image, and if you crop it, the player doesn't know where they should be positioned. As a consequence, they are usually shown at a wrong position, and it's terrible for 3D subtitles, as they may be "inside" an object in the foreground of the scene. (And if I implement cropping in BD3D2MK3D, I will be forced to add the code to compute the new positions of all subtitles and to modify the subtitle streams accordingly. Useless and tedious job for me.)

Another argument is that displaying 3D is relatively difficult with the cheap processors of most 3D TVs, and 3D requires precise timings, especially for active 3D glasses. The 3D TVs are optimized for a full 16:9 picture, and are often unable to synchronize correctly the two views when the video has been cropped.

There are many other arguments, and last but not least, it is useless to crop the black borders, as they are extremely easy to compress and do not consume much disc space.
Old 20th September 2018, 13:38   #1497  |  Link
Pino72

Since 3D for new TV's is more or less dead it is a non issue for the future. I always render forced subs into video so no positioning problems

The information of having a 21:9 AR is important if you have an automatic screen masking when using a projector e.g. Otherwise of course no need to crop it.

In terms of encoding speed or getting smaller file sizes the black bars are really not making any sort of difference worth mentioning in my view.
Old 20th September 2018, 18:33   #1498  |  Link
WhoIsRich

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
Welcome to the Doom9 forums, WhoIsRich, and sorry for replying so late. I have not been notified of your post.
Thank you I also didn't get notified of your reply, but did for the people before and after.

I can only speculate that the PDF mentions the param doubles an internal cache, which may only affect certain systems.

But I have a stack of blurays to convert, so will give them a go when you release a new version and see what happens...
Old 1st October 2018, 10:07   #1499  |  Link
vadlerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
In your example, the HD full-T&B 3D movie MUST have the resolution 1920x2160. Everything else is wrong. Dot.

Note also that BD3D2MK3D sets the correct aspect ratio in the video stream (SAR) and in the MKV container (PAR). But most TVs do not take them into account.
Excuse me r0lZ to coming back to this question but made some tests again with this amazing BD3D2MK3D tool creating Half-T&B 1920x1080 movies playing nice 60 fps according to my 4K passive 3D TV set. Creating encode with StackVertical(Left,Right) and SAR 1:2 I get an 1920:2160 encode which is playing 24 fps according to the TV info displayed.
I'm not fully convinced about the Full-T&B's superior quality. Is the displayed fps per eye or per full frame to understand in this case? Full-T&B encode is nearly double size. May Full-T&B inferior in quality in this case?
Old 1st October 2018, 11:11   #1500  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

There are two things to consider: Half vs Full and SBS vs T&B.

Obviously, the Full resolution is better than Half, as there are no "lost pixels" during the encoding. But as you have noticed, the rendering may be slower, depending of your TV set. I suppose that it's because the TV needs more memory for its image buffers when handling Full-SBS/T&B. As a consequence, it cannot show the images at the same frame rate, and it cannot interpolate them. You may see a slight flickering when you watch the movie. In the other hand, the resolution is better. You have to decide what you prefer.

Theoretically, Full-SBS and Full-T&B (and Frame Sequential) are strictly identical in term of quality and resolution. The TV must split the combined image in two views anyway, and dividing the original image vertically or horizontally doesn't matter.

For Half-SBS and Half-T&B, the resolution is divided by two in one direction only, and that direction may have an effect on certain TVs. It is often recommended to use Half-SBS for active TVs and Half-T&B for passive TVs. Personally, I prefer Half-SBS for my active Samsung TV, mainly because horizontal lines with high contrast (like the horizon of a landscape under the sun or the baseline of the text of the credits) are more frequent than contrasted vertical lines, and the less good vertical resolution of Half-T&B may make that horizontal lines flicker somewhat. I have never noticed that problem with Half-SBS.

If Half-T&B is often recommended for passive TVs, I think it's because the LG TVs use all even lines with a specific polarization for one view, and all odd lines with the opposite polarisation for the other view. As a consequence, the LG TVs are forced to divide the vertical resolution by 2 anyway, and if you encode in Half-SBS, the resolution is cut by 2 during the encoding and again by 2 during the projection. With Half-T&B, the problem is less important. But I've read somewhere that LG has released expensive TVs that can display all lines in both polarization. Of course, with that TVs, no resolution is lost during the rendering, and Half-SBS and Half-T&B should be equivalent. It's probably also the case for UHD TVs, where there are two times the number of lines and columns anyway.

So, IMO, there is no absolute truth. You may prefer Half or Full and SBS or T&B depending of your equipment, the context (the ambiant light is very important to minimize the flickering effect), and your eyes. I can only recommend to do some tests with a short movie, and watch them without prejudice. It's why BD3D2MK3D has the possibility to encode in that 4 modes (plus Frame Sequential, necessary mainly for some old projectors).

Last edited by r0lZ; 1st October 2018 at 11:14.
Closed Thread