Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 AVC / H.264

Old 24th January 2005, 14:18   #1  |  Link
JohnV

Nero Digital Information

Nero Digital Information Thread
updated 13th February 2007

Coming updates from Nero:
-HD-DVD, Blu Ray BDMV and AVCHD authoring support in NeroVision
-Nero Digital™ Audio+ will get a completely new codec addition
-Big changes in Recode encoding architechture (possibly more information can be released soon)
-Video codec updates for increased quality, updated MPEG4 ASP codec

-Audio codec speed up and tweaks for increased quality
-Nero Digital profile updates: Ipod 5.5G AVC profile, PS3 AVC playback compatibility
-Nero Digital profile updates: Cinema-AVC and HDTV-AVC -profiles will be supporting AC3 audio

News 2007:
Feb: Nero Digital AAC Encoder 1.0.7.0 released
Jan: Nero Digital™ Audio+ Codec Wins Blind Listening Test at 48 kbps
Jan: Nero Announces Sigma Designs is First Partner to Receive Nero Digital™ AVC High Profile Certification
Jan: Nero Announces Nero Digital™ AVC High Profile Certification Program for Consumer Electronics Manufacturers

News 2006:
Sep: High profile AVC support added to Recode (increased quality) along with new better quality AAC audio encoding support

News 2005:
July: Nero Digital Pro released
June: Free Nero Digital 30 day Trial
June: AVC High Profile encoder Beta test 2 feedback on Doom9
May: Ateme's beta test 2 starts on Doom9: High Profile AVC encoder
May: Nero Digital AVC wins c't magazine video codec quality comparison!
Mar: Nero Digital™ certified Xoro DVD players available
Mar: Nero ShowTime Mobile Beta available
Jan: Nero Vision Express 3.0.1.27 supports Nero Digital export
Jan: VCPS content protection support announced for Nero Digital
Jan: Nero ShowTime Mobile announced

News 2004:
Dec: Nero Digital AVC wins in video quality in Doom9 2004 codec shootout
Dec: Recode 2.2 adds support for AVC
Oct: Beta test1 of the AVC-video codec on Doom9

What is Nero Digital?
Nero Digital™ is a collection of various different audio and video codecs, co-developed by Nero AG and Ateme, which is completely following the MPEG-4 standard

Nero Digital includes three different codecs, following:
- ISO 14496-10, MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Main Profile video
- ISO 14496-2, MPEG-4 Simple and Advanced Simple Profile video (as also produced by XviD, DivX5, 3ivx...)
- ISO 14496-3, MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Coding (AAC)

Regarding the container Nero Digital also follows the MPEG-4 standard and uses the container format defined under ISO 14496-14 (uses the .mp4 extension)

Read more about the MPEG-4 standard (description of the codecs/codec options) in the posts linked to above
Read more about the MP4 container (list of available tools, players...) in the MP4 FAQ

Main features of Nero Digital:
- MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 Main Profile video
- MPEG-4 Simple and Advanced Simple Profile video
- MPEG-4 Video from 32*32 to 2048x1536 (AVC max reso), 8176x8176 (ASP max reso) High Definition resolutions
- AAC-LC and High Efficiency-AAC audio with up to 5.1 surround sound
- AAC Audio support from 8kbps to 480kbps
- 2 separate audio streams support
- Chapter support
- Multiple Subtitle track support (Subtitles are in DVD Subpicture format (aka VobSub))

How to encode with Nero Digital?
NeroDigital streams can be created with Nero Recode2 or NeroVision softwares available in the Nero 7 Retail package or Nero demo download.
- Recode2 Encoding Guide on Doom9
- descriptions of the different encoding options can be found here for MPEG-4 ASP and MPEG-4 AVC

How to play Nero Digital?
As Nero Digital follows 100% the MPEG-4 standard you should be able to play the created .mp4 files with any player supporting .mp4 and the used codec (features), both hardware and software
For a complete list of the available MP4 players you can use have a look at the MP4 FAQ
Nero's own player is called Nero Showtime and is available in the Nero 7 package, available for free evaluation.
Another player supporting Nero Digital chapters, subtitles and multiple audio streams is the free VLC Media Player

Does my favourite player doesnt give me Chapters, Subtitles or multiple audio streams?
In order to use other DirectShow based player with Nero Digital streams including chapters,subtitles and multiple audio streams, install the latest ffdshow[/URL] (and enable h.264 and aac decoding in ffdshow) and Haali Media Splitter (MatroskaSplitter). For a proper subtitle support with ffdshow (ffdshow subs a bit buggy), install the latest VSFilters.

3rd party encoding profiles in Recode:
-Playback in Sony PSP supported using Recode's Memory Stick Video (PSP compatible) -profile.
-iPod Video (and coming IPod Video 5.5G AVC) -profiles
-PS3 AVC playback support (coming)

Hardware playback of Nero Digital:
As it goes for software players, also all hardware players supporting the .mp4 container and the used codec (settings) should play the ND files, as they are following 100% the MPEG-4 standard
For a complete list of the available MP4 hardware players have a look at the MP4 FAQ

List of Nero Digital Officially Certified Hardware Devices:
NeroDigital MPEG-4 Advanced Simple Profile (ISO 14496-2/-3) playback supporting devices:
- Link for supported devices

To avoid interoperability problems Nero has created private MPEG-4 Profiles and the Nero Certification:
All Nero certified players should be able to handle
- MPEG-4 ASP video (most handle the "Standard Profile": not allowing QPEL and GMC)
- MPEG-4 AAC audio (with Standard Profile: AAC-LC, not multichannel, AAC-HE not with full quality)
- Chapters
- VobSub Subtitles
- 2 Audio streams

Official press releases:
http://www.nerodigital.com/eng/Press.html

Official homepage:
http://www.nerodigital.com

Juha Laaksonheimo

Last edited by JohnV; 16th February 2007 at 19:59.
JohnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2005, 15:38   #2  |  Link
bond

thanks a lot to JohnV for this information thread
note the following:
- NeroDigital MPEG-4 AAC audio discussions belong to the Audio Encoding forum
- NeroDigital MPEG-4 ASP video discussions belong to the New and alternative video codecs forum
- NeroDigital MPEG-4 AVC video discussions belong to the MPEG-4 AVC forum
- NeroDigital GUI and general tool discussions belong to the MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs forum
- MP4 Container discussions belong to the New and alternative a/v containers forum

If you have any suggestions, ideas which points should be added or found any broken links, feel free to post below!

Please don't use this sticky to discuss any Nero Digital issues, this thread is meant for info only!
If you have any questions plz search the forum, perhaps they have been answered already and only then start a new thread

thanks,
bond

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 22nd June 2007 at 19:10.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2006, 21:58   #3  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Nero Digital "Main" and "AVC" Profiles Information

NeroDigital "Main" (MPEG-4 Part-2) Profile Info: -

NeroDigital "AVC" (MPEG-4 Part-10) Profile Info: -

EDIT: AAC audio bit-rate settings amended

Cheers

Last edited by SeeMoreDigital; 18th June 2007 at 15:05.
SeeMoreDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2007, 14:05   #4  |  Link
gwaitsi

according to your update on 13th Feb
-Nero Digital profile updates: Ipod 5.5G AVC profile, PS3 AVC playback compatibility
-Nero Digital profile updates: Cinema-AVC and HDTV-AVC -profiles will be supporting AC3 audio

the only thing i can see in the latest from the above is support for Ipod 5.5G AVC.

I am after a PS3 AVC profile that will stream correctly over wireless.

The current Standard AVC profile works fine with PS3 2.01 firmware if played locally but not via streaming - it starts and stops
gwaitsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 12:20   #5  |  Link
a1677c

I have request Nero to ad 720 p support to AVCHD; but only get a canned response from Nero. Currently one can only set your AVCHD profile at 1040 x 1080 or export to a dvd size. I would like to see 1280 x 720 available. Additionally this is the best size & resolution to fit on a dvd 9.

Last edited by a1677c; 2nd March 2008 at 12:24.
a1677c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2008, 15:44   #6  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1677c View Post
I have request Nero to ad 720 p support to AVCHD; but only get a canned response from Nero. Currently one can only set your AVCHD profile at 1040 x 1080 or export to a dvd size. I would like to see 1280 x 720 available. Additionally this is the best size & resolution to fit on a dvd 9.
What you want is already there... Look for the "Cinema AVC" profile.

Cheers
Old 29th September 2008, 13:33   #7  |  Link
vinceklein

Is there any info on Nero 9īs recode engine?
Are there any significant changes? I tried nero.com but couldnīt get a lot out of the announcement.

--vk
vinceklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2008, 13:56   #8  |  Link
CruNcher

Maybe it finally uses a newer (soa) H.264 Encoder Core

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2013, 07:18   #9  |  Link
jfcarbel
Programmer

I know this is an old thread but Nero just released a new product update Nero 2014 and I now own multiple portable digital devices and wondered if now is time to come back to Nero.

I stayed away from all versions since 7 as alot seemed to go downhill release after release but I hear that in later v12 releases that they really cleaned up their act.

I mostly loved ReCode and I understand it used the Ateme H.264 encoder which was rated very good back in 2005. But x264 has improved alot since then and I wonder if Ateme is even used in Nero 12 anymore.

Today I use VideoRedo for my home camcorder HD videos and for transcoding to portable I use Handbrake.

But I am curious how latest version of Nero's H.264 encoder would compare to today's x264 quality. I worry because on Nero's marketing page I see comments about faster encodes due to GPU and we know that GPU encoding while faster always produces less quality results.

Anyone have Nero 12 or have recent information that can contribute?
jfcarbel is offline   Reply With Quote