Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 4th November 2003, 10:21   #61  |  Link
wertert

Quote:
Originally posted by len0x
Well, I don't see a reason why user would like to have no audio. if you like OGG and hence OGM then just wait for full support. Having an application which just produces something unfinished so that you finish it manually is beyond the scope of the GKIF4U. In fact it's GK in it's current form that can do that
Sorry to be a nag but I really think that a 'no audio' option would give you a wider user base in the long run. While GK can produce a video only movie it's still alot more work to use that GKIF4U. GKIF4U makes all the decisions for you and produces a fantastic looking video. Allowing the user to take this video and mux into whatever container format ( now or future ) they choose will give GKIF4U added flexibility which will mean more people will use it.

Another way is to give the user a 'add file' option, like GK, so that the sizing calculation works off this sound file size. This way users could create any quality/bitrate mp3/ogg sound file they choose and still mux it into the final result. All within GKIF4U. I know it is a departure from the one-click-wonder idea but as I see it you can still offer a very straight forward encoding program with additional flexibility.

Anyway thats the end of my rambling. Great work BTW. running 0.21 now.

wert
wertert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2003, 10:56   #62  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Re: Re: Re: Re: version 0.2 is out

Quote:
Originally posted by r6d2
Ah, you tricked me. The history says "renamed" not "transformed".
Perhaps you might want to rephrase it, "Keep perfect aspect 4:3 ratio" may lead users to think it's a good thing.
It actually is ! I personally always do perfect 4:3 videos, and moreover I hardly ever seen ITU-followed 4:3 video which has black bars on top and bottom... I will enhance this feature so that it's only used for 4:3 videos, but has no effect for widescreen ones where ITU should always be followed.

Quote:
Originally posted by r6d2

Well, you seem to be loose with the meaning of certain words.
NOO Transcoding is process of conversion from one format to another, isn't it? (if you read DivX5 docs and license then you'll see that mentioned quite a lot there...)

About 1:1 mode - I don't think it's useful until there are no hardware/software players which can play anamorphic mpeg4 sources. When they appear, then it can be an option.

Last edited by len0x; 4th November 2003 at 10:58.
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2003, 11:02   #63  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqa
Does this mean that in fact at some point in the future GKIF4U will actually replace Gknot?
Not the version I'm doing now. But "pro" version might... You already can see that lots of things can be fully automated even for professional users, so we will have to just nail down the features which are really neccessary to be kept for manual settings.
Old 4th November 2003, 11:07   #64  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by yotsuya-san
Edit: tried 0.21 and the first try was really funny! Selecting Custom size of 15 megs, it gave me a video size of 1465507384, so the comp test was 4568 and the horizontal resolution 704. I restart GKIF4U, tried again, and now works OK. Don't really understand what's wrong with me...
Hm... tell me how do you select custom size: by arrows or by editing the editbox ?

Quote:
Originally posted by yotsuya-san

Another small suggestion...you could also allow to limit the maximum horizontal res to 640, 704 gives some problems to old pcs like mine.
it's becoming tricky we'll see...
Old 4th November 2003, 11:21   #65  |  Link
jonny

About transcoding... when you have made the first annunce (searching for webspace) i was thinking you was going to release an mpeg2 transcoding tool (like dvd2one) ...

(apart from this not so important stuff)
GREAT work len0x!
jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2003, 11:29   #66  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by jonny
About transcoding... when you have made the first annunce (searching for webspace) i was thinking you was going to release an mpeg2 transcoding tool (like dvd2one) ...
Ok, Ok I'll remove this confusing word
Old 4th November 2003, 11:38   #67  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by MediaMage
remember the testdvd i did as first example?
this one was already ripped to hdd, and mounted with daemon tools as a virtual dvd drive, but it should be no prob for gkif4u to select the biggest vob set?
That's correct. It does that now already. But it will only ok if biggest vobset has just one program chain (which is normally the case for movies). In case of TV shows I still need to split the vobset into chains...
Because if it is not the case - DVD2AVI just indexes the first chain in the vobset (I think that what's happened to you).

Quote:
Originally posted by MediaMage
maybe for us season freaks (coz that would be simple to implement if biggest ifo is implemented):
an option to encode all episodes from one dvd in one batch run...
maybe automatically selected big vob sets (lets say , the user could specify everything above 40 minutes of playtime), i think that could be implemented with a simple loop construction, if you are able to get the playtime of every vob set from the dvd ifo structure...
that feature combined with batching up 7 dvdīs in 7 virtual dvd drives und running gkif4u would be the greatest thing ever invented
As I said ealier - if I had a tool which can split vobset into chains without having deCSS code inside that would be at least doable...

About the bug you were trying to describe - I don't think I understood what exactly went wrong. Can you do step-by-step description for me please (so that I can replicate it).
Old 4th November 2003, 11:56   #68  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@Venom_IL

Burning is not illegal, you're right. I'm just not convinced that it's a usefull feature to have.
Regarding ripping. It's a question of not having any problems. Different countries, different laws. Considering that this app will be quite popular for not-so-computer-oriented ppl (meaning a lot of ppl can use it) the last thing I want is to draw unnecessary attention of officals and cause any possible lawsuites (even if you know that you might not gonna loose). I'm not specifivally looking for troubles.

@Messer

Not in the first version. Probably eventually...

@Werter

You've run into exact problem I fixed in 0.21
About user base: I think number of ppl who uses new containers is thouthands times less than those ones ready to use AVI. Please remember that this effort started as desire to promote mpeg4 video for ppl who probably are not gonna watch it on the computer, but rather on standalones. I think OGM community can wait a month until its support will be implemented
Old 4th November 2003, 17:14   #69  |  Link
manono

Hi-

Considering that this app will be quite popular for not-so-computer-oriented ppl...

and:

this effort started as desire to promote mpeg4 video for ppl who probably are not gonna watch it on the computer, but rather on standalones.

So keep it real simple. It should be for .avi only. Make it work for movies and TV show episodes backed up directly from the DVD and forget everything else. Don't give too many choices. You'll just confuse people. But in that context, I can see how integrating CD burning might be useful. Even here I've seen questions from people wondering how to burn their .avi's to CD. You'll get people trying to use EasyCDCreator to burn the way they do their music CDs. If you want to make a gkFastPro version later to do more things, then fine. But the basic version should only perform the basics. Everything else can already be done with Robot4Rip and/or GKnot.

I might suggest a Help or Info or Instructions Tab at the top or somewhere to explain in detail what has to be installed, where to get it, and how to use the program. Something similar to the Usage.txt, but maybe even more detailed, in simple, easy to understand language. People are used to seeing such things. Maybe start with the basics, like, "To use this program, you'll need a computer with a DVD-ROM drive." Never underestimate people's ignorance:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64455
manono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2003, 17:21   #70  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@manono

Very true.

I'm not going to start putting things there at ppl requests that easy I'll be doing installers and help soon for releasing a beta, which should handle most of installation tasks on its own.
Old 4th November 2003, 18:09   #71  |  Link
zerocoolnl

Hey, nice program!
Finally a simpel program. Keep on the good work!

Greetz,
Zerocool
Old 4th November 2003, 18:13   #72  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by manono
Never underestimate people's ignorance:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64455
oh my god...

edit: (to actually make this post useful :P)
well i tried to encode the nicet&a clip with gki4fu again, but the outcome was rather strange again:
unlike the other clip it doesn't resize at all, but encodes at a faar too high bitrate.
the end result:
an avi twice the size of the original vob
no 'finished version' (muxed version) of the video,although it says muxing audio... and finished encoding in the log file

next step: trying to encode the 34 min clip with fixed width... looking forward to the results!

steVe

Last edited by killingspree; 4th November 2003 at 20:41.
killingspree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2003, 20:37   #73  |  Link
Jeffster

Wow, this is great!
For it's intended purpose it is perfect and would save alot of time making decisions

I did notice a couple of things though, more cosmetic I guess as function is not affected...

In the log it says "Found xxxxx frames", I'm not sure what this is referring to, but (my) logical assumption is the number of frames in the movie or clip? But it is a much larger figure than that on each test I've tried, so it has me confused.

Here is an example:

[3/11/2003 6:38:45 p.m.] Started encoding.
[3/11/2003 6:38:45 p.m.] Demuxing and indexing.
[3/11/2003 6:41:42 p.m.] Found 162329 frames

The number of frames in the movie is 129863. It appears to be around 20-25% higher on each test I've made, mostly trailers or extras on a DVD, but also the main movie as above.

The second thing I've noticed is the scroll bars in the log pane sometimes disappear, like if I open another window on top of GKiF4U... by clicking on the edge of the log pane where the scroll bars should be activates them and they appear again.
Maybe that is a perculiarity on my system only?

Neither of these affect the result though, which is high quality IMO

Jeff
Jeffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2003, 20:45   #74  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

@jeffster: what method have you used to rip the vobs?

@len0x: have you talked to doom9 about guides? or are you intending on including sufficient docs with the package itself?!

steVe
Old 4th November 2003, 21:44   #75  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@jeffster

how do you get the number of frames? by opening the same d2v file as was created by gkif4u ? the number of frames i report is the number of frames that i count in d2v file taking into account ivtc or FF. Are you dealing with NTSC source ? if yes, what percentage of FILM is reported in the logs ?

@killingspree

as soon as i have some more free time i'm planning to write some more documentation, which will be included in the help section of About window. Also I think I will add a memo describing advanced options right below those option... There should be not that much to explain anyway (after I make one installer which takes care of step 0 from usage.txt) apart from ripping step.
Old 4th November 2003, 21:57   #76  |  Link
zerocoolnl

new bug?

mm, I don't know what is wrong but I hope you can fix it:

This is the error I've got. I get the main movie to the HD with DVDDecrypter 3.1.5.0 In the map: D:\DVD\Unbreakable\VIDEO_TS
But, when I select that map I get the error.

My PC specs:
PIV 533Mhz
512MB DDR 333Mhz
S-ATA/150 120Gb

Greetz,
Zerocoolnl
Old 4th November 2003, 23:29   #77  |  Link
yotsuya-san

Quote:
Originally posted by len0x
Hm... tell me how do you select custom size: by arrows or by editing the editbox ?
Oops, it did it again! Se my gif @

I enter it editing the editbox.

Bye, Yotsuya.
yotsuya-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2003, 00:29   #78  |  Link
MediaMage
The X in DivX

@Venom:

Quote:
and I mean, I thought making a copy of something you legally own is legal
sadly, in germany here, since 2 months itīs not even allowed to bypass a simple "copyrighted" bit on a dvd or audio cd... its illegal..
therefore all softwares that can be uses to bypass copy protection are forbidden by law to be sold (clonecd for example was sold from elby, because of this)

@lenOx:

iīll try to replicate the error an edit here
EDIT: error occuring: editing the edit-field (340 mb for example)
error disappers: when using the arrows -->341 mb, then 340 again

just update the variable used for the custom mb size "onKeyPress" when the focus is on the editfield and it should be gone.

@zerocoolnl and others trying to help:
please post the exact line from the avs script where the error occured.
the .avs script is located in the subdir "tmp" where your final avi will be created, and can be opened with notepad or other text editors.

in this case, however no script line was given
i think, its because no output avi has been selected, good that you tested that, so len0x can prevent that error.

Last edited by MediaMage; 5th November 2003 at 00:44.
MediaMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2003, 03:23   #79  |  Link
manono

Jeffster-

[3/11/2003 6:41:42 p.m.] Found 162329 frames

The number of frames in the movie is 129863.

Almost certainly gkFast applied IVTC or Force Film, depending on the Film Percentage. The larger number would be the number of frames at the original 29.97fps, and the final frame count would be the 23.976fps .avi after IVTC or Force Film. Down at the bottom of the .d2v it'll tell you the Film Percentage. Force Film or IVTC remove the 20% of the frames that are duplicates. 162329x0.8=129863.2. One of the beauties of the program is that you don't even have to understand IVTC, and it still gets it right.
Old 5th November 2003, 03:32   #80  |  Link
manono

zerocoolnl-

This may be a dumb question, but did you use IFO Mode in DVDDecrypter? Don't use File Mode (up at the top, in the Mode Tab). Is there an IFO file that was ripped? If that's not the problem, then len0x will figure it out, I'm sure.