Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 2nd November 2003, 11:34   #21  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@manono

About audio choice: I realize that customization is really important in this case. That is why I will definitely implement AC3/MP3 selector (I'm thinking what is the best place to put it: advanced settings or popup menu on the right click somewhere on the main window...). increasing auto settings to 705-710Mb for AC3 choice sounds good to me as well.

About resize: I'm keeping Lanczos always now, since it doesn't influence comp test value that much. I get much more difference by switching to softer matrix (from HVS_best to HVS_better). If you aiming for over 70% of comp test (as it does now) then Lanczos seems to be pretty good choice. Only if you fix the width manually then it might be a good idea to switch to another type of resize...

About IVTC: yes, I might add this as an advanced option "Force IVTC", so that even 100% NTSC movies can be IVTC-ed. ITU option, btw, was originally supposed to be "Keep perfect 4:3 aspect ratio", so that only affects 4:3 movies and i'm planing to rename that option. Deinterlacing option is there only because I have no way atm to detect that automatically, but I pretty much would like to do so. If anyone has ideas how to do that I'm open to discussions.

Regarding questions:

1) That's one of the reasons. Another - I'm still able to switch matrixes and f-frames (if for some reason the movie is maxed out). And originally I was supposed to change resize methods as well. So I still have some means of increasing comp test values if if width is fixed.

2) FieldDeinterlace(blend=false). This might not me choice for everyone, but I'm planning to have this as an option in the config file.

3) As I said ealier HVS-best for 2CD, HVS_better for 1 CD. Although I want somehow to be able to use HVS_best even for 1CD rips (or those half CD rips of TV shows), so this is gonna go into config file as well

4) It displays info from IFO files: either 4:3 Normal or 16:9 Anamorphic. It has nothing to do with output AR.

5) The limit is 70%. It's a good idea to lower this limit for lower resolutions. To implement this properly we need to take into account output aspect ratio, coz 1.33 ratio will look much worse that 2.35 with the same width.

6) if it was only for resizing - i'd expect no more than 2% difference. but if codec parameters were changed, i.e. matrix, bframes etc - then my prediction is very very rough estimation. for matrix change the error can be as much as 10% easily. at the moment i'm not counting first pass size at all, but can do that easily, so that we can see how precise my estimations are.

thanks for great feedback. i hope i can tune this tool into very best piece of encoding software
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 11:47   #22  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

@lenox: can't access the download atm... my first try to dl it got to 70% and then simply stopped...
Old 2nd November 2003, 13:45   #23  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by killingspree
@lenox: can't access the download atm... my first try to dl it got to 70% and then simply stopped...
hm... keep trying. server might be on quite heavy load (and sometimes I think it's getting new dinamic ip, in which case dowanload might stop). We got more than 4Gb of traffic in less than two days already there I might be in need of more mirrors...
Old 2nd November 2003, 17:22   #24  |  Link
Venom_IL

Sure hope this'd make ppl stop using crap programs like easydivx and co.

this looks great, can't wait for a final build (a bit scared of alpha's myself )

Why is this not a sticky ?

btw - rogue demon hunter.. I like. Last angel ep was hilarious don't you think ?
Venom_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 18:25   #25  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

Quote:
hmmm... strange, seems that this has been a Mozilla/Firebird problem! works with IE 6.0 ... mpff

steVe
Old 2nd November 2003, 18:30   #26  |  Link
Riley

You should also checkout the program TaZit
http://www.trinity.unimelb.edu.au/~d..._Soc_v0.42.rar
(right click....save target as)

(Discussion on TaZit)
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...0&pagenumber=1

It uses a very nice compressibility test algorithm for completely automated encoding, you may want to check it out.

It is also very easy to use and automates the entire process of ripping, encoding, and even burning to CD. It supports batch encoding and ripping.

It would be great if you could encorporate some of these features into your GUI.
Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 19:12   #27  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

hmmm, wenn hitting preview, i get the following error displayed in WMP:

[quote]
Script Error, Syntax Error:
(H: ... *.avs, line 14, colume 56)
[quote]

here's the avs:
Code:
LoadPlugin("D:\DivX\gkif4u\filters\mpeg2dec3dg.dll")
LoadPlugin("D:\DivX\gkif4u\filters\autocrop.dll")
LoadPlugin("D:\DivX\gkif4u\filters\undot.dll")

movie = mpeg2source("H:\Summersplash 2003\VIDEO_TS\gkif4u\tmp\week3xvidgkif4u_preview.d2v")
cropclip = autocrop(movie,mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=5,aspect=0,threshold=40)
c_width = width(cropclip)
c_height = round(height(cropclip) / 1,09401709401709)
input_par = float(c_width)/float(c_height)
out_width = 640
out_height = round(float(out_width) / input_par)
hmod = out_height - (floor(out_height / 16 ) * 16)
out_height = (hmod > 8) ? (out_height + (16 - hmod)) : (out_height - hmod)
new_aspect = (float(out_width) / float(out_height)) / 1,09401709401709
autocrop(movie,mode=0,wmultof=4,hmultof=4,samples=5,aspect=new_aspect,threshold=40)
Undot()
LanczosResize(out_width,out_height)
i made line 14 fat so you can find it more easily:

to the video:
PAL interlaced 4:3 720x576
the audio is a simple mp2 audiotrack
no subs, no multiple audio tracks

i've done the same video manually a week or so ago where everything worked fine

oh and btw: i enabled 'deinterlace' in the advanced options dialog!
custom size of 400 MB since the thing is only 34 minutes long and my other encode is at the same size so then i can easily compare qualities

when i try to encode, i get the following error:

Code:
[02.11.2003 18:55:38] Indexing input for preview.
[02.11.2003 19:10:50] Started encoding.
[02.11.2003 19:10:50] Demuxing and indexing.
[02.11.2003 19:11:36] Audio is not found.
[02.11.2003 19:11:36] Found 65564 frames
EXCEPTION: Audio is not found. Encoding aborted.
[02.11.2003 19:11:36] Finished encoding.
so i assume the problem is the mp2 audio?

steVe
Old 2nd November 2003, 19:53   #28  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@killingspree

about comma problem - it was discussed before, you system separator is comma instead of dot - read some posts above. i'll fix that in the next version, but for now you can change that in the system properties.

about audio - what is the name of the audio track demuxed by dvd2avi ?
i think i assume that it's ac3, but this is not your case it seems.
Old 2nd November 2003, 19:56   #29  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom_IL
Sure hope this'd make ppl stop using crap programs like easydivx and co.
never even used that one, but i hope dr. divx will gone after that as well

Quote:
Originally posted by Venom_IL

btw - rogue demon hunter.. I like. Last angel ep was hilarious don't you think ?
yep it really was. especially phrase 'and, eve, stay here and we'll have more sex - i'm on it' lol
Old 2nd November 2003, 20:07   #30  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by Riley

It is also very easy to use and automates the entire process of ripping, encoding, and even burning to CD. It supports batch encoding and ripping.

It would be great if you could encorporate some of these features into your GUI.
well, don't think i haven't checked it out before... but very few things i found to be useful there. comptest in maximum 6 passes - this is such overkill. i think one should be able to say ' i'm taking a decision for the user bacause i know that's it's a good decision.' in my experience i find such things like using anything less than sharp bicubic is a degradation in quality no matter what. so imho a very complicated algorithm of choosing resizer is waste of time and efforts.

but may be i'm missing something and there are more nice features - so which particular ones you think should be in gkif4u ?

about ripping and burning - my app will never do any ripping related things. i have high hopes and large plans for this tool, which requires it to be totally legal which means no ripping step is allowed. burning - this is debatable step as well.

*edit* i'm much more fascinated by efforts of bilu to build automatic universal decomber. and i'm looking for the ideas on that as well on making detection of interlacing fully automatic.

Last edited by len0x; 2nd November 2003 at 20:21.
Old 2nd November 2003, 22:54   #31  |  Link
yotsuya-san

Hi Len0x, I'm playing with GKIF4U using a small (about 150 Megs) vob. First attempt to make an avi has beensuccessful, I've used a predefined size of 1/4 cd (175 Megs) and my final avi is a 704x384 movie at a bitrate of 1992 kbps (the final dimension is about 50 megs).
Using a costom size, I am really surprised that the horizontal resolution after CT is always 640, apart from the size, even if it is 5 megs (it's only a bitrale of 79 kbps!).

This is the log:

[02/11/2003 22.35.26] Started encoding.
[02/11/2003 22.35.26] Demuxing and indexing.
[02/11/2003 22.35.35] Encoding audio.
[02/11/2003 22.36.42] Found 5964 frames
[02/11/2003 22.36.42] Audio size: 2731280
[02/11/2003 22.36.42] Overhead: 238592
[02/11/2003 22.36.42] Video Size: 14855920
[02/11/2003 22.36.42] Running compressability test.
[02/11/2003 22.38.05] Compressability percentage is: 70.43
[02/11/2003 22.38.05] New width is : 640
[02/11/2003 22.38.05] Predicted comptest value is: 70.43
[02/11/2003 22.38.05] Running first pass.

It seems to be exactly the same at every custom size I choose, for example 17, 10 or 5 megs.

I'm sorry I can't try GKIF4U with a real movie, but I hope soon I will do it!

Bye, Yotsuya.

Last edited by yotsuya-san; 2nd November 2003 at 22:57.
yotsuya-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2003, 23:42   #32  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

Re: @killingspree

Quote:
Originally posted by len0x
about comma problem - it was discussed before, you system separator is comma instead of dot - read some posts above. i'll fix that in the next version, but for now you can change that in the system properties.
stupid me, i've read it anyway thanks

Quote:
about audio - what is the name of the audio track demuxed by dvd2avi ?
i think i assume that it's ac3, but this is not your case it seems.
the name is: NAMEXVIDGKI4U MPA T01 DELAY 00 MS.mpa

so as i said it Is mp2. if you do support mp2 or not is of course your decision, but i think that it would at least require a popup to show people that the DVD contains an audio format it is not supporting!

apart from that, nice app for newbies and lacy people definitly worth mentioning somewhere in the noobs once it is closer to a final version! maybe a sticky like 'Easiest way to do DVD to XVID!"

steVe
PS: don't even mention DR.Divx, that's below your league

edit: well preview works now, but when trying to encode it still tells me "audio not found!" :/

Last edited by killingspree; 2nd November 2003 at 23:55.
killingspree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2003, 11:25   #33  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by yotsuya-san
This is the log:
[02/11/2003 22.36.42] Video Size: 14855920
[02/11/2003 22.36.42] Running compressability test.
[02/11/2003 22.38.05] Compressability percentage is: 70.43
[02/11/2003 22.38.05] New width is : 640
[02/11/2003 22.38.05] Predicted comptest value is: 70.43
[02/11/2003 22.38.05] Running first pass.
You say you select different custom sizes. Does video size in the logs change? (It might be some wierd GUI bug, when correct size is not picked up from the editbox). So, if you could experiment with this a bit more I'd really appreciate that.
Old 3rd November 2003, 11:29   #34  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Re: Re: @killingspree

Quote:
the name is: NAMEXVIDGKI4U MPA T01 DELAY 00 MS.mpa

so as i said it Is mp2. if you do support mp2 or not is of course your decision, but i think that it would at least require a popup to show people that the DVD contains an audio format it is not supporting!
See, that's why I need testers I just forgot that I can deal with anything else but AC3 on DVDs. Of course I'll support both WAVs and MPAs as sound tracks (in fact it's just one line of code has to be changed). Thanks for pointing this out.

Quote:

edit: well preview works now, but when trying to encode it still tells me "audio not found!" :/
no worries - version 0.2 is coming in a day or so
Old 3rd November 2003, 14:01   #35  |  Link
MediaMage
The X in DivX

Quote:

about ripping and burning - my app will never do any ripping related things. i have high hopes and large plans for this tool, which requires it to be totally legal which means no ripping step is allowed. burning - this is debatable step as well.
so you donīt plan to build in an option like: select ifo title with highest playtime?
this would help me (and others) save time
i always rip full dvd image to hdd, dvddecrypter has an option in finding automatically the biggest vob file (movie..) and ripping it with 2 clicks, so i always need the extra step to rip the movie from the whole dvd to a seperate folder for processing it with gkif4u...

i encoded 2 movies last night, using ac3 german soundtrack without subtitles, each one 2cd, quality looked actually BETTER then the 5.05 rips i had done before(with highest quality settings i knew this far)

yes, xvid needs 3x more time, but quality is my only concern
Old 3rd November 2003, 14:18   #36  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Hi, len0x, congrats on a GK for dummies tool (I loved that).

I'm quite new to DivX/XviD (done hundreds of SVCDs though), and I've been playing in the last few days with GK and Dr. DivX. I downloaded your tool last night. Nice approach. I was just trying to convince DVD2SVCD of incorporating MPEG-4 encoders into his great tool, with little luck.

I did my first run today. I got this message:
Quote:
[03-11-2003 9:23:10] Started encoding.
[03-11-2003 9:23:10] Demuxing and indexing.
[03-11-2003 9:27:04] Expecting NTSC sources.
EXCEPTION: '100.00' is not a valid floating point value
[03-11-2003 9:27:04] Finished encoding.
Just in case you wonder, yes, the VOBs are NTSC.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)

Last edited by r6d2; 3rd November 2003 at 14:30.
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2003, 14:45   #37  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

@r6d2

Aha, I think it's the same problem as others had with comma separator. In the end of d2v file there is a FILM percentage which in your case was 100.00, but you system locale settings are using comma as decimal separator, so default converter from string to float doesn't work. I'll fix that and make sure there are no more places where decimal conversion fails.
Old 3rd November 2003, 14:59   #38  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

Quote:
Originally posted by MediaMage
so you donīt plan to build in an option like: select ifo title with highest playtime?
this would help me (and others) save time
i always rip full dvd image to hdd, dvddecrypter has an option in finding automatically the biggest vob file (movie..) and ripping it with 2 clicks, so i always need the extra step to rip the movie from the whole dvd to a seperate folder for processing it with gkif4u...
It's a tricky business - I can select title with highest playback from IFO, but I still need a mean of doing that second step, i.e. actually ripping that chain out of whole vobset. And this is DVD rippers business (and those tools contain DeCSS code), which is a no go at the moment... Although if someone can point me to the ripper which doesn't contain DeCSS code and will not work on DVDs, but only on decrypted material already, then I can have a look at it...

Quote:
Originally posted by MediaMage

i encoded 2 movies last night, using ac3 german soundtrack without subtitles, each one 2cd, quality looked actually BETTER then the 5.05 rips i had done before(with highest quality settings i knew this far)
yes, xvid needs 3x more time, but quality is my only concern
Glad to hear that I will put DivX support in the tool as well later on (it's probably gonna be based on 5.1.1).

Last edited by len0x; 3rd November 2003 at 15:02.
Old 3rd November 2003, 17:28   #39  |  Link
killingspree
Newbie Forum Mod

Re: Re: Re: @killingspree

Quote:

no worries - version 0.2 is coming in a day or so
looking forward to doing some more testing...
Old 3rd November 2003, 18:16   #40  |  Link
wertert

Any chance of being able to select No Audio ? Only until ogg vorbis support comes along. or is that in version 0.2 ?

Great app BTW

wert
wertert is offline   Reply With Quote