Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 24th August 2013, 08:15   #1  |  Link
molngab

AutoGK with latest xvid codec?

Hello!

If I install Autogk, the installer install an xvid codec pack. But this xvid is an outdated version.
What will happen, if I manually install the latest xvid AFTER the installation of AutoGK?
The conversion result will be better or worse?

Can handle AUtogk the latest xvid?

Thanks!
molngab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 21:07   #2  |  Link
datauser

Yes, it can handle 1.2.2 version branch(that said I still got slightly undersized files of around 10mb), but DO NOT use ESS/MTK profiles in hidden options alongside this version as files may come out seriously undersized and compression tests are totally screwed up.

You must manually remove the old version 1.2.1 and remove registry traces of it before you install a newer Xvid version. You could use Codec Tweaker to do this after an uninstall of Xvid 1.2.1 after a reboot as it cleans/checks for registry discrepancies. You could try a portable I made of with all components updated except Xvid. You may get better quality video, though this opinion is very subjective to one's own eyes!

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168328

Last edited by datauser; 24th August 2013 at 21:17.
datauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 08:00   #3  |  Link
molngab

Sorry, but the 1.2.2 is an old outdated version. The latest
31-05-11 10:44 Age: 2 yrs
Xvid 1.3.2 is out!

More than 2 years ago!!!

I installed manually the latest pack after the install of Autogk.
And don't uninstall the old version, don't cleaned the registry etc.
I just install.

The Autogk works without any error with the latest.
I don't use any (totally obsolete) standalone settings.

>>>>

Yes, it can handle 1.2.2 version branch(
Quote:
Originally Posted by datauser View Post
Yes, it can handle 1.2.2 version branch(that said I still got slightly undersized files of around 10mb), but DO NOT use ESS/MTK profiles in hidden options alongside this version as files may come out seriously undersized and compression tests are totally screwed up.

You must manually remove the old version 1.2.1 and remove registry traces of it before you install a newer Xvid version. You could use Codec Tweaker to do this after an uninstall of Xvid 1.2.1 after a reboot as it cleans/checks for registry discrepancies. You could try a portable I made of with all components updated except Xvid. You may get better quality video, though this opinion is very subjective to one's own eyes!

molngab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2013, 11:31   #4  |  Link
datauser

Yes, but please read the FAQ first. Correct me if I'm wrong, but AutoGK only supports the 1.2.x branch. Actually there is a 1.4 beta release of Xvid which I use and is stable for me in other applications I use. If you ask me you are asking for trouble if you want to use a build of Xvid other than the branch one which is bundled with it wrong sized files, quality issues etc. 1.2.2 is pretty perfect(the best version IMHO Ru-board one or Jawormat build!) as it is and 1.3.2 though may have a few advantages over it, also brought a few issues for some users which are too long to go into here. Stax always bundles it in his package it so it can't be that bad.
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:03   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

The version of Xvid (as they all probably do) which comes bundled with AutoGK has different profiles such as Home Theatre PAL and NTSC, amongst others. Using the wrong version of Xvid may cause AutoGK to use the wrong Xvid profile (I've seen it use a Mobile profile instead of Home Theatre) which can effect VBV restrictions in 2 pass mode and that'd probably mess with compression test results etc. That may only apply when using the ESS or MTK compatibility option, but AutoGK does play with Xvid's settings according to the results of the compression test (minimum and maximum quantizers and custom Xvid matrices etc) so personally I'd play it safe and stick with the version of Xvid which comes bundled with AutoGK. I doubt newer versions will improve the quality.

Some older versions of Xvid are broken when it comes to file size (possibly when using one of the Home Theatre profiles with bitrate restrictions). AutoGK did at one stage use version 1.3.0 of Xvid but rolled back to 1.2.1 for that very reason. http://www.videohelp.com/tools/AutoG...tory#changelog

If in doubt, while AutoGK is running an encode (single pass or second pass), open the Xvid encoder configuration and have a look to see if the settings it's using make sense.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:09   #6  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
You could try a portable I made of with all components updated except Xvid. You may get better quality video, though this opinion is very subjective to one's own eyes!

I don't use AutoGK much anymore so I don't have it installed, but thanks for the portable version. I'm sure it'll come in handy!

PS Should the preview function work?

PPS Now I', a little scared.
I ran a quick encode which resulted in a folder of temp files and an output file only AutoGK can see. They don't appear in Windows Explorer. I can use AutoGK's "Open" menu to see the output file, I can even open it and play it with MPC-HC from there, but using right click/properties seems to indicate it's 0 bytes in size and in Windows Explorer itself the output file/folder doesn't appear at all. Odd.

Last edited by hello_hello; 2nd September 2013 at 15:32.
Old 2nd September 2013, 15:30   #7  |  Link
datauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I don't use AutoGK much anymore so I don't have it installed, but thanks for the portable version. I'm sure it'll come in handy!

PS Should the preview function work?
One problem I always had with the installer version was the preview, I think it never gave sound, but that may have been intended by creator due to way program was compiled? These portables can be so unpredictable at times.
One annoying thing I missed regarding Media Player Classic was after just compiling the portable I discovered there was a later 114revision of it. I may revise this portable later to encompass this. Compression tests using Vdubmod 1.6 were more or less same as before and resultant avi's seemed a lot brighter, but with considerable speed advantages during encoding too. I've more or less moved on from avi to H264 considering you get same bitrate quality at only 51% of avi's.

The preview should work and give sound assuming a codec pack is installed or such like. If you are having trouble make sure ffdshow is installed(tryout) that should do the trick. Let me know if it does not. Thanks.

Re. "0 bytes" Odd issue and sounds like a temp file issue and one which I have had with other portables downloded from Net. The files read from the program itself, but are invisible in the folder right? That happened to me once when I specified a output file on a different partition. I usually output my file to avoid that by creating a new folder in Documents and solely outputting there or to be safe running portable in this output folder in Documents and on same partition C drive.
If issues happens again just move the file(rather than cut and paste as that doesn't work) in Explorer to Documents or other place of choice using "Auto GK's open menu." It then should be seen easily. Portables eh!!

Last edited by datauser; 2nd September 2013 at 15:57.
Old 3rd September 2013, 09:37   #8  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
One problem I always had with the installer version was the preview, I think it never gave sound, but that may have been intended by creator due to way program was compiled? These portables can be so unpredictable at times.
I've encoded a squillion DVDs with AutoGK and I honestly don't know about the sound as you tend to take the way things work for granted.... I think it'd generally work, but thinking about it....
When encoding a vob file, using the preview indexes the video with DGIndex and if I remember correctly, extracts the audio at the same time. It doesn't mux them together as a single file. I guess it can't if MPC is just opening a script. So logically to have a preview with sound, MPC would need to be set to auto-load external audio files. Without that.... no sound, maybe? Does VirtualDubMod get involved when previewing an encode? I don't think it does, it's just MPC-HC and AVISynth.... if I'm remembering correctly.
I'm pretty sure when re-encoding AVIs there'd be no sound with the preview as using the preview doesn't extract the audio. Unless it's done via DirectShow..... how can you use a program almost daily and not remember details of how it works?.... my memory is terrible.
And maybe.... I can't remember if the MPC version included with AutoGK used an ini file or the registry for it's settings, but if it's the latter and you also have MPC installed elsewhere.... I'm guessing.

Quote:
One annoying thing I missed regarding Media Player Classic was after just compiling the portable I discovered there was a later 114revision of it. I may revise this portable later to encompass this. Compression tests using Vdubmod 1.6 were more or less same as before and resultant avi's seemed a lot brighter, but with considerable speed advantages during encoding too. I've more or less moved on from avi to H264 considering you get same bitrate quality at only 51% of avi's.
I don't have AutoGK installed at the moment, but when I did I replaced MPC with MPC-HC. I just had to rename the mpc-hc.exe as mplayerc.exe and it worked fine.
I didn't know there was a version 1.6 of VirtualDubMod. I did update it to 1.5.10.2 without any adverse effects. I'm not sure why changing versions would effect the brightness of encodes though. That seems a little odd. (Edit: When I did get one encode to run using your portable version the input and output AVIs looked the same to me)

Like you about the only time I use AVI these days is occasionally when I encode video for someone else. The "someone else's" being those people for whom I'd have needed to create a video DVD not so long ago. Some people move with the times.... some need to be dragged along.....

Quote:
The preview should work and give sound assuming a codec pack is installed or such like. If you are having trouble make sure ffdshow is installed(tryout) that should do the trick. Let me know if it does not. Thanks.
The preview didn't work at all. AutoGK indexed and/or analysed the video but no preview appeared.

Quote:
Re. "0 bytes" Odd issue and sounds like a temp file issue and one which I have had with other portables downloded from Net. The files read from the program itself, but are invisible in the folder right? That happened to me once when I specified a output file on a different partition.
Correct. I have the drives partitioned, if that's likely to effect things. "C" has Windows and programs, "D" contains My Documents, and "E" is a second drive. I was running your version of AutoGK from "D" and I tried opening video on "D" and "E" while leaving the output location the same as the source. Same result both times, in respect to files only AutoGK could see. Oh.... and I'm running two RAID volumes but I doubt that'd make any difference. As far as Windows and programs are concerned a RAID volume seems to be a single drive.

File issues aside, I managed to successfully re-encode a small Xvid/AVI (ffdshow decoded), but after that every file I tried produced an error (can't remember exactly) along the lines of not being able to find an appropriate decoder (even when I tried a mpeg file). Attempting to re-encode the same AVI again produced the same error. I haven't tried the program again since rebooting.... I guess it made me a little nervous.... but I will later.

I'm running XP SP3. I re-installed Windows from scratch a couple of months ago so it includes all the relevant Windows updates at the time (I only update a couple of times a year). I don't run any antivirus or anti-anything software so there's nothing along those lines interfering.

Last edited by hello_hello; 3rd September 2013 at 09:49.
Old 3rd September 2013, 12:33   #9  |  Link
datauser

Strange why preview doesn't work for you. Have you installed haali splitter too? Could be a direct show decoder/filter issue or file associations??? Give that a whirl! Getting back to what I said about brightness. The encodings I had from vdubmod 1.6 in the portable I made, actually appear brighter chroma wise(to my crap vision!) than the default older version Len0x codec used which I always found gives darker avi's. Maybe that particular version of vdubmod handles that xvid codec revision better? Who knows!

You discovered as I did that just renaming new MPC-HC to same name as AutoGK's 2.55 default one works fine in the installed version, but as a portable even renamed as such it would never load for the preview hence I went the last version of media player classic route. Thanks for your feedback.

P.S I recoded a H264 to avi last night for some friends who have a Philips dvd player and it worked fine. I used MP4box to extract the audio converted it to mp3 and normalized it. Worked out the final video size including audio. Changed extension from mp4 to avi for input and encoded fine 2 pass. Just remuxed mp3 back in to output file for a crisp 700mb avi all in lovely synch.

Also been using 1.4 revision of Xvid successfully with the installed AutoGK 2.55 and AutoGK Pal in conjunction, so I can try out my rookie avisynth scripts. As long as ESS/MTK is switched off sizes are fine. Nothing quite beats the feeling of getting an avisynth script to work!

Last edited by datauser; 10th September 2013 at 17:25.