Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 6th January 2012, 16:50   #1  |  Link
awx

AutoGK's subtitle extraction command(s)?

What command(s) does AutoGK use to extract subtitles? I've ripped a bunch of tv episodes in ifo format and only agk can extract the subs. MeGUI and other utils see the subs but fail to extract them.

I'd like to write a quick-n-dirty script to batch extract the subs from each episode but I the commands.
awx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 05:33   #2  |  Link
hello_hello

Does AutoGK actually extract the subtitles from the vob files or does it use VobSub to load them? I don't work with subs very often so I don't know how AutoGK does it but if it extracts them they should be in the temp folder AutoGK creates in the output folder.

For MeGUI I'm fairly sure you have to extract the subtitles manually using VobSubber (from the tools menu) but I'd imagine you can add multiple extraction jobs to the job queue and then let MeGUI go to work extracting them. Then I assume you'd add them to the script via the AVS Script Creator when setting up the encodes.

Next time I encode a DVD I'll have to open it with AutoGK to refresh my memory as to what it does. I'm fairly sure it uses DirectVobSub and I'm fairly sure it loads the subtitles from the vob files without extracting them but as subtitles aren't my thing I'm not 100% sure. If that's what AutoGK does I'm not sure why MeGUI needs you to extract them first. Maybe you could look at the script AutoGK creates when it's running an encode (in the temp folder) to see how the subtitles are loaded.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 05:48   #3  |  Link
awx

The problem is that MeGUI's extraction tool (the one from the menu bar) doesn't work on the ifo mode files. AutoGK and MeGUI both use vobsub but AutoGK handles these ifo mode rips natively (it was the recommended rip format for agk).

I've been toying around writing a C# batch script today using vobsub.

The problem seems to be that ifo mode typically creates only a single ifo named something like "VTS_01_0.IFO". While vobsub expects ifo's to be named in sequence with the vobs, such as "VTS_01_PGC_01_0.ifo" and "VTS_01_PGC_01_1.VOB". But I'm not 100% sure of the specifics yet.

Somehow AutoGK is getting vobsub to work with these ifo mode rips but the vobsub docs don't show how that might work.

This thread would probably be better off if it was moved to the subtitles forum.

After I rip these last batch of TV show DVDs, I'll probably be finished with DVD ripping forever and just do blu-rays and iTunes exclusively.

Last edited by awx; 9th January 2012 at 06:24. Reason: correction
Old 9th January 2012, 06:22   #4  |  Link
awx

I think agk is duplicating the "VTS_01_0.IFO" ifo file and giving it a vobsub compatible name.
Old 9th January 2012, 07:33   #5  |  Link
hello_hello

I'm not sure where IFO mode being the recommended ripping method for AutoGK came from, and to be honest I've not used DVD Decrypter on it's own enough to fully understand the differences between File and IFO mode, but I use RipIt4Me which in turn uses DVD Decrypter and it always rips DVDs in file mode and they always encode fine using AutoGK.

Thinking about it, is DVD Decrypter able to rip the subtitles from the disc? I know it lets you demux streams in IFO mode but I'm not sure if it works on subtitles. Failing that you could try opening the ripped files with DVDShrink and resave them. I normally resave the files that way after ripping them to split the ripped files into episodes etc. DVDShrink might resave the ripped files in a way which lets vobsubber extract the subtitles. Sorry, but I'm no subtitle expert.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote