Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 28th December 2011, 13:52   #1  |  Link
donfrenchiano

Audio gets more out of sync throughout the movie

I'm trying to rip the Other Guys DVD and encode it to an xvid avi. The audio is fine at the start but then gets more and more out of sync. I think this may have something to do with copy protection. Ive used DVDDecrypter and DVDFab to rip the DVD to the HD and am getting the same results. Further investigation seems to show that it gets out of sync more at the start of each vob. If i open all of the vobs together in avidemux the audio is ok until it gets to the point of the next vob. Then when it gets to the next vob its a little more out of sync. As a test i made an mkv with handbrake and the audio was in sync the whole way. Maybe its DGIndex? Ive seen other related audio threads but couldn't find anything similar to my situation. I also tried rip it 4 me and when it gets to the part about cleaning up the IFOs i think it says it cant copy some sectors even though they are not copy protected. I had access to another copy of the movie and it did the same exact thing so i don't think there is anything wrong with the disc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
donfrenchiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2011, 21:46   #2  |  Link
hello_hello

When you got the error using RipIt4Me had you removed the disc from the drive? I vaguely recall RipIt4Me sometimes checks the disc when it's cleaning and if it needs to refer to the disc it spits out an error, which I think is generally safe to ignore. Maybe also try RipIt4Me without DVDFab running in the background if you haven't already.

If I remember correctly RipIt4Me runs FixVTS then offers to clean the vob files. I generally don't let it do the latter as it tends to cause problems as much as it fixes them. I just open the ripped files with DVDShrink and only clean the vob files if for some reason DVDShrink won't open them, which never happens anyway.

Chances are if you open the ripped files with DVDShrink and use it's re-author mode to re-author just the main title (movie) and then use DVDShrink to back it up to another location on your hard drive (without shrinking it, or course) the backed up files will play/encode okay. Maybe there's some unreferenced video in the ripped vob files which is causing the audio delay and which hopefully DVDShrink will remove. If re-authoring and resaving the ripped files with DVDShrink doesn't fix the problem then you'll probably have to wait for a DVD expert to come along.

Last edited by hello_hello; 28th December 2011 at 21:50.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2011, 08:17   #3  |  Link
Ghitulescu

I frankly don't know any copyprotection that does inflict an audio delay at each VOB (VOBid).
I know instead of many convertors that get "lost" here.

So, if I would do such a conversion (which I don't, but for the sake of agumentation), I would first get a clean copy on my HDD of the DVD. It involves the use of at least one of PGCedit, Ifoedit, Vobedit and FixVTS. Then I would use pgcdemux (note the delay) to remux the DVD into its parts, then reencode each part, correcting the delay (delaycut?), remuxing into the new container. Too much work IMHO but it should do the trick. For NTSC pay attention to soft TC, hard TC, DF and NDF issues. Additional delays are caused by those items.