Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Announcements and Chat > General Discussion

Old 6th September 2016, 01:20   #1  |  Link
doomleox999

MKV Windows Explorer

Hi and thanks for reading my post.

This is how a Windows Explorer window looks in my computer:

It's in spanish but it doesn't matter. The thing is that, as you can see, Windows tells me the resolution and the video and audio bitrate of .mp4 files (the columns which names start with "Velocidad ..."), but it doesn't do it with .mkv files.

Is there any way to achieve this? I have K-Lite Codec Pack installed, if that is important for you to know.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by doomleox999; 6th September 2016 at 01:25.
doomleox999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 17:06   #2  |  Link
huhn

windows 10 supports this in theory but it doesn't always work.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 18:32   #3  |  Link
clsid

K-Lite contains a plugin that adds properties for .mkv, .flv and a few other formats that are not natively handled by Windows. That plugin requires Windows Vista or newer. Since it looks like you use Windows 7, you should re-install the latest version of the codec pack.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 05:52   #4  |  Link
doomleox999

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
K-Lite contains a plugin that adds properties for .mkv, .flv and a few other formats that are not natively handled by Windows. That plugin requires Windows Vista or newer. Since it looks like you use Windows 7, you should re-install the latest version of the codec pack.
I use Windows 8.1 and have the lastest version of K-Lite. I update it 2 days ago.

By the way, for some reason now the explorer shows the resolution of the .mkv files, but I'm really interested in seeing the bitrate, because I hate having to right click the file and use MediaInfo.

Last edited by doomleox999; 7th September 2016 at 05:54.
Old 7th September 2016, 12:12   #5  |  Link
clsid

You can adjust the Explorer layout settings to show the "details pane". That shows more information.

Or right-click on the column headers to adjust the column settings. Instead of "Bit rate" select "Total bitrate". That will show the average bitrate of the file (for audio and video tracks combined).
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2016, 17:21   #6  |  Link
doomleox999

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You can adjust the Explorer layout settings to show the "details pane". That shows more information.

Or right-click on the column headers to adjust the column settings. Instead of "Bit rate" select "Total bitrate". That will show the average bitrate of the file (for audio and video tracks combined).
That works! I'd rather see the audio and video bitrates separately (like .mp4 files) but I guess this will do. Thanks!
Old 8th September 2016, 00:01   #7  |  Link
Motenai Yoda

throw away k-lite and use Icaros http://www.videohelp.com/software/Icaros