Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 9th January 2010, 13:57   #1  |  Link
plexx

Creative Media Format (.CMV) proof-of-concept encoder

Hi everyone,

I've posted this on videohelp.com and someone advised me to post there here. Though strictly it has little to do with actual DVD ripping, maybe someone is interested.

There are quite some people who've bought a Zen MX and use Linux. These people are out of luck when it comes to putting video on their device, since it uses the proprietary CMV format. I've documented the format here:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=CMV

And I've written a proof-of-concept (glue and ducktape) solution for encoding CMV. Its pretty ugly and uses ffmpeg to actually rip the content of a video. Currently there is a windows batch-file which starts ffmpeg and after that my custom java app for creating the actual CMV file. It works, but there is little control over bitrate and quality, and it creates a lot of overhead (temporary files) etc...

Unfortunately I've little time on my hands to turn this into a proper C application. So, i was wondering if someone with more C/Linux skills would be interested into turning this into a proper application, with or without my help. (Or if someone knows some place where there would people interested in doing this.)

I've attached the application including source (but without the required ffmpeg) free to do with whatever you want.

Regards,
Vincent
Attached Files
File Type: zip cmvencoder.zip (9.4 KB, 343 views)
plexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2010, 00:45   #2  |  Link
mahsah

Cool. I don't own a Zen but as far as I'm concerned the reverse engineering of any obscure multimedia format is a victory for mankind.
mahsah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cmv, creative, encoder, zen-mx