Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 11th June 2010, 14:05   #1  |  Link
Neillithan
Banned

One click (or easy) MKV to MP4 with AC3 solution?

Hi, I was made aware that the latest version of YAMB can now mux AC3 streams into the MP4 container.

I have dabbled with this and I have had pretty good success. I am able to drop an MKV into YAMB and have it mux to MP4 with AVC/AC3 and even subtitles work great too. This process alone takes around 45 minutes and it's not exactly efficient. It has to demux the streams and then mux them back into mp4. It doesn't simply transfer straight from MKV to MP4. I don't know if this is normal behavior or if it's possible to skip the demux step, but one thing is sure... demuxing 8GB and then muxing 8GB can only go so fast based on harddrive read and write speed. I have used MKV2VOB before and it takes half as much time as YAMB to mux MKV to M2TS. This is why I wonder why YAMB takes so much longer.

If the MKV contains DTS audio (which it does most of the time) I have to, first, use Mediacoder to convert it to AC3 640. Conversion of DTS to AC3 takes me around 25 minutes. After it's all said and done, I'm looking at around 1 hour (at least) to mux an MKV to MP4 with DTS to AC3 conversion.

I am curious if there's a tool out there than can combine all of this into a single step and do this fast?

Thanks,
-Neil
Neillithan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 15:31   #2  |  Link
manolito

You could give Avidemux a try. Take a look here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...59#post1006659
You will have to download and install a DTS decoder separately, but Avidemux will automatically recognize it.

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 15:43   #3  |  Link
Neillithan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
You could give Avidemux a try. Take a look here: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...59#post1006659
You will have to download and install a DTS decoder separately, but Avidemux will automatically recognize it.

Cheers
manolito
Hi, I don't mean to shoot down your suggestion, but since I have already tried it, I can tell you that the audio only goes up to 384kbps which is the standard for DVD. I'm trying to go no less than 640kbps which is the standard for BluRay. I know that's picky of me, but I would like for there to be very minimal loss of quality.
Neillithan is offline   Reply With Quote