Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11th October 2021, 00:16   #62081  |  Link
clsid

You could let LAV Video do the deinterlacing. Then you should only get copyback for interlaced video. Assuming the interlaced stuff is 1080p and below, that shouldn't matter much for performance.
Old 11th October 2021, 00:24   #62082  |  Link
SamuriHL

Are they still interlacing 4k content???
Old 11th October 2021, 03:42   #62083  |  Link
huhn

they wanted to do that in french for broadcast they may have...
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2021, 04:26   #62084  |  Link
SamuriHL

I thought they got rid of that nonsense with 4k. Ughhhhhh

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk
Old 11th October 2021, 13:36   #62085  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
You could let LAV Video do the deinterlacing. Then you should only get copyback for interlaced video. Assuming the interlaced stuff is 1080p and below, that shouldn't matter much for performance.
Do you mean with Yadif/Weston? Or with CUVID? Software deint isn't as good as CUVID's deint to me. But then if I leave the decoder on CUVID, it deinterlaces PAL film content too (I know people said it shouldn't, but it does) and I have no easy way to disable that with a hotkey like when controlling deinterlacing from madVR.
I have mapped .reg files to shortcuts to make my life easier, it's not that much of a hassle even if not super friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
they wanted to do that in french for broadcast they may have...
Currently the french UHD broadcast test is still 50p, so I hope they forgot about that for good.

Last edited by el Filou; 11th October 2021 at 13:39.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2021, 13:40   #62086  |  Link
jmonier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thighhighs View Post
Same problem on Windows 11. Device IDs stacking up. Looks like all users affected. Hope it GPU driver/Windows related bug and will be fixed in future. Otherwise madVR should be updated
This problem and the one with HDR passthrough has identical symptoms to a bug that I reported several years ago. That bug occurred only with a Displayport connection but was on Windows 8.1.

I believe that madshi ignored it because the Displayport was so rare for HT. It's probably worth another look at this time.
jmonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2021, 15:32   #62087  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Currently the french UHD broadcast test is still 50p, so I hope they forgot about that for good.
God I really hope so. Interlacing should DIE a horrible death in fire.
Old 11th October 2021, 16:37   #62088  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
God I really hope so. Interlacing should DIE a horrible death in fire.
Quoted for truth. In any case, I see there's no easy solution. I'll keep on re-encoding my stuff and deinterlacing it with QTGMC.
Old 12th October 2021, 08:05   #62089  |  Link
CarlosCaco

Hey guys im using madvr in my new notebook and i noticed the player dont enter on d3d11 exclusive mode, so i cannot use the 12bit mode, checked exclusive mode no matter what i do i only get d3d11 windowed, the gpu is a 1650 Windows 10 latest drivers... Do anyone knows what can be causing the player do not entering on exclusive mode? Thanks
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 12:46   #62090  |  Link
el Filou

No guarantee but worth a try: right-click the executable (or the Start Menu shortcut to it) and in Compatibility tab, check Disable full-screen optimisations.

But I don't see why you would need exclusive to get 12-bit with NVIDIA.
Old 12th October 2021, 21:28   #62091  |  Link
Whiskeyomega

Where do you get the betas ? Really need to update as some files have bad AR on 92.17
Whiskeyomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2021, 21:58   #62092  |  Link
Asmodian

I doubt the betas are going to change anything about AR handling.

They are updates for HDR tone mapping, nothing else as far as I know.
http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure141.zip
Old 12th October 2021, 22:46   #62093  |  Link
Whiskeyomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
I doubt the betas are going to change anything about AR handling.

They are updates for HDR tone mapping, nothing else as far as I know.
http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure141.zip
Thanks
Its definitely MadVR thats cropping the frame. It doesnt help the AR info on the file is broken but at least EVR doesnt crop the picture itself so I can just scale it down to 2:35:1 with MadVR it adds a massive one sided black bar at the top. EVR shows the whole picture no bars until you scale it manually its meant to be 2:35:1 and VLC displays it properly.
Old 14th October 2021, 16:43   #62094  |  Link
el Filou

madVR doesn't crop unless it is instructed to by its own configuration, player application, or automatic black bar detection.
Post a screenshot with the OSD showing (Ctrl+J), to see what madVR is doing to the picture.

Last edited by el Filou; 14th October 2021 at 16:53.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2021, 19:27   #62095  |  Link
Whiskeyomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
madVR doesn't crop unless it is instructed to by its own configuration, player application, or automatic black bar detection.
Post a screenshot with the OSD showing (Ctrl+J), to see what madVR is doing to the picture.
I gave up trying to get it correct really. Just seems these files I have were badly decoded and need redoing.

Old 14th October 2021, 21:37   #62096  |  Link
SirMaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Is it possible to setup madvr so that it only enables HDR mode when the player is in fullscreen? I want windowed mode to be SDR so that Windows isn't all washed out if I want to browse the internet while watching a windowed movie. I think I've tried every display mode option/hdr option there is, but as soon as it detects an HDR video, my projector flips over to HDR mode regardless if I'm windowed or fullscreen.
Just make 2 profiles, one with HDR passthrough and 1 with HDR tone-mapping.

Set hotkeys for the 2 profiles and then when you switch between windowed and fullscreen you can press the hotkey to decide if you want HDR or SDR.

And you can set whichever profile to be the default that you prefer.
SirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2021, 02:59   #62097  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post
Just make 2 profiles
Nice solution
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2021, 06:53   #62098  |  Link
flossy_cake

Hello

There appears to be a serious bug related to the "composition rate" used by MadVR, which can cause intense frame rate stuttering in many scenarios.

The issue appears that "composition rate" gets stuck at the rate used by the previously played file.

I am able to reproduce this bug on two different systems, with two different motherboards and two different GPUs (AMD R9 380, NVidia 1070). However both systems use Windows 7 x64, so it may be a bug related to Windows 7's compositor. I do not have a Windows 10 machine at the moment, but if someone could check this on Win10 it would be much appreciated.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Use the latest MPC-HC 64bit v1.9.15.79 and MadVR v0.92.17, as provided with the latest K-Lite "full" codec pack.

2. Set your monitor to a 60hz mode, such as 1080p60 or 1440p60 etc. (I haven't tested this on a 4k60 monitor yet).

3. Ensure your monitor is capable of the 24hz equivalent, eg. 1080p24 or 1440p24.

4. In MPC-HC > view > options > Playback > Fullscreen > untick "Launch files in fullscreen"

5. In MadVR settings > devices > display modes:
a) tick "switch to matching display mode ... when media player goes fullscreen"
b) tick "restore original display mode ... when media player is closed"
c) in "list all display modes", type in the two modes, eg. "1080p24, 1080p60" or "2560x1440p24, 2560x1440p60" (text field must say valid)
6. In MadVR settings > rendering > general settings, untick "enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode"

7. Apply, close and exit MPC-HC.

8. Open a p24 video and press Ctrl+J. Both display rate and composition rate should report 60hz (first two lines on Ctrl+J screen).

9. Alt+Enter to go full screen. Both display rate and composition rate should now report 24hz, and playback framerate should be flawless.

10. Esc to exit full screen and exit MPC-HC. This will trigger the display mode changing back to 60hz.

11. Open a p60 video and press Ctrl+J. Composition rate still reports 24hz and playback is stuttery.

I have discovered a workaround to this, and it seems to imply it is perhaps an issue with Windows compositor: between steps 10 and 11, open a window such as Windows file explorer, and drag it around the screen. On both my systems I observe the window movement is animating still at what appears to be 24hz despite the display mode having switched back to 60hz, as per previous step 10. However, after a few seconds of dragging the window around, releasing the mouse button in between drags, it starts animating smoothly again at 60fps, as if Windows compositor is finally realising it needs to animate at 60hz again to match the display rate. Then, after this, Ctrl+J composition rate reports the correct 60hz for a 60p video and there is no stutter.

So it appears to be something going wrong with Windows compositor getting stuck at the value used by the previous video -- is there perhaps some Windows API function that MadVR could call on exiting MPC-HC which could somehow reset or reinitialise Windows compositor?

Thanks for your time.

Update: the issue appears to be resolved if I disable Windows desktop compositor. I say appears because without desktop composition the Ctrl+J composition rate is no longer reported, so I'm just eyeballing it to check the frame rate is smooth, and it does appear to be (and that issue with having to drag a window around to reset it, does not occur). Annoyingly, Direct3D 11 is not possible unless compositor is enabled, and am not sure if video fidelity is compromised by using D3D9 instead.

Last edited by flossy_cake; 17th October 2021 at 08:07.
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2021, 08:26   #62099  |  Link
huhn

the composition rate is the refreshrate used by windows desktop there is no way for madVR to change it. it's a bug of the WDDM.

the orginal FSE mode ignores the composition rate(it may show it but does not present on it) so is overlay renderering.

this can happen on some win 10 version so have it fixed win 8 had this problem generally fixed. i have not sen it on 11 yet.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2021, 02:04   #62100  |  Link
flossy_cake

Thanks, guess I'll be switching to Windows 10 then.

I realise we can work around it by using full screen mode -- either exclusive or not, doesn't matter, full screen always gets matching composition rate in my tests.

But as soon as we go back to windowed mode the problem persists, and the user has to manually drag windows around to restore the compositor rate.

eg. suppose the user finished playing a 24fps movie, exits MPC-HC and then wants to do some web browsing. The web browser will be all stuttery on scrolling and user must drag windows around to clear the bug.

I am still thinking there must be some API function that could automatically reset the bug on MPC-HC exit. Something that does the equivalent to dragging a window around, such as rendering a few frames of video at a higher rate?
flossy_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling