Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > HDTV / DVB / TiVo
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 30th November 2008, 22:45   #1  |  Link
WildTexasChef

TiVo S3/HD

I have a TiVo S3 and a TiVo HD unit. Both fully HD capable.

I don't really care about converting HD-TiVo files as I can save any of my HD-TiVo files to my 18TB NAS. So converting and burning to a Blu-ray is pointless for me. Since I can easily tranfer them back to my TiVo.

I use both TiVo Desktop + (2.6) and the latest version of pyTiVo to transfer video back to my TiVo's.

Has anyone succesfully ripped a Blu-ray disc (That they own) and converted to a file that they have SUCCESSFULLY transfered to their TiVo S3/HD units and STILL maintained full 1920x1080 video with full DD5.1 Audio?

If so... How did you do it?

I have AnyDVD-HD, VideoRedo TVSuite, Sony Vegas Pro, Corel VideoStudio X2, Adobe Priemere, Roxio, and Nero 9.

Thanks

WTC

P.S. I have a Sony Blu-Ray writer as well a Samsung BD-P2550 Blu-ray player.
WildTexasChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2008, 23:20   #2  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Here is what I DO know....

1. The TiVo S3/HD does in fact RECORD HD Television with full DD5.1 and 1920x1080i video into a MPG2 compatible file.

2. Using Roxio, I can create a SD-MPG2 File WITH DD5.1 audio and it will play just fine on my TiVo S3/HD with DD5.1 audio. Although in SD.

3. When I pull a show in HD/DD5.1 off my TiVo and use Direct Show filter Dump to convert the .TiVo file to MPG2. It does maintain the 1920x1080i video and the DD5.1. Because if I transfer it back to my TiVo, it will show in HD and the audio DD5.1 has been maintained.

Does anyone know the specs of a TiVo MPG2 file? Are there any programs that can take HD 1920x1080 video and convert it into HD-MPG2 and still maintain DD5.1?

TGC
Old 13th December 2008, 13:12   #3  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTexasChef View Post
Here is what I DO know....

1. The TiVo S3/HD does in fact RECORD HD Television with full DD5.1 and 1920x1080i video into a MPG2 compatible file.

2. Using Roxio, I can create a SD-MPG2 File WITH DD5.1 audio and it will play just fine on my TiVo S3/HD with DD5.1 audio. Although in SD.

3. When I pull a show in HD/DD5.1 off my TiVo and use Direct Show filter Dump to convert the .TiVo file to MPG2. It does maintain the 1920x1080i video and the DD5.1. Because if I transfer it back to my TiVo, it will show in HD and the audio DD5.1 has been maintained.

Does anyone know the specs of a TiVo MPG2 file? Are there any programs that can take HD 1920x1080 video and convert it into HD-MPG2 and still maintain DD5.1?

TGC
I don't know anything about your TiVo, but if it only supports MPEG2 / H.264 video you'll need to convert your VC-1 BD video files to MPEG2 / H.264 with an encoder. Keeping the DD 5.1 should also be possible.

If you have a BD with MPEG2 / H.264 video, you might like to try using TSPE 0.70 and strip the stream down to just the video and DD 5.1 and converting from .m2ts to .ts at the same time. Remember to keep the PAT/PMT also for a valid transport stream.

There's a thread for TSPE 0.70 here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143249

Please post your feedback!

Regards,

Vent
Ventolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2008, 18:20   #4  |  Link
WildTexasChef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventolin View Post
I don't know anything about your TiVo, but if it only supports MPEG2 / H.264 video you'll need to convert your VC-1 BD video files to MPEG2 / H.264 with an encoder. Keeping the DD 5.1 should also be possible.

If you have a BD with MPEG2 / H.264 video, you might like to try using TSPE 0.70 and strip the stream down to just the video and DD 5.1 and converting from .m2ts to .ts at the same time. Remember to keep the PAT/PMT also for a valid transport stream.

There's a thread for TSPE 0.70 here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=143249

Please post your feedback!

Regards,

Vent
I read about TSPE, However I was confused about one aspect.

I notice it will import MPG2/VC1/H.264 allowing you to edit etc.
But if you import a VC1 file with AC3... Will it convert it and write out a MPG2 file? Can I change the bitrate of the video as well? What about the framerate and still maintin audio/video sync?

Thanks

WTC
Old 20th December 2008, 23:22   #5  |  Link
Ventolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildTexasChef View Post
I read about TSPE, However I was confused about one aspect.

I notice it will import MPG2/VC1/H.264 allowing you to edit etc.
But if you import a VC1 file with AC3... Will it convert it and write out a MPG2 file? Can I change the bitrate of the video as well? What about the framerate and still maintin audio/video sync?

Thanks

WTC
You can only load transport stream files into TSPE and TSPE will only create transport stream files.

You can convert a .m2ts 192 byte transport stream file to a .ts 188 byte transport stream file.

You can't change the bitrate of the video, you'll have to re-encode it for that.

You can demux (extract) or strip out any streams you want including editing at the same time. Audio/video sync is maintained.

Framerate conversion (eg. 25fps to 23.976) is on the todo list.

Hope that helps,

Vent
Ventolin is offline   Reply With Quote