Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 23rd March 2014, 13:13   #21  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinhunt View Post
Yup, it appears to working great! By the way, how can I set the quality of encoding? I'm assuming MVCenc defaults to 3; what if I wanted to use 2 or 1?
Inside BDtoAVCHD environment target usage is linked to speed vs quality preset:

(default is 4)

Code:
			int target_usage = 4;

if (!strcmp (preset, "placebo"))	target_usage = 1;
			if (!strcmp (preset, "veryslow"))	target_usage = 2;
			if (!strcmp (preset, "slower"))	        target_usage = 2;
			if (!strcmp (preset, "slow"))		target_usage = 3;
			if (!strcmp (preset, "fast"))		target_usage = 5;
			if (!strcmp (preset, "faster"))	        target_usage = 6;
			if (!strcmp (preset, "veryfast"))	target_usage = 6;
			if (!strcmp (preset, "superfast"))	target_usage = 7;
			if (!strcmp (preset, "ultrafast"))	target_usage = 7;
pistacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 13:17   #22  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistacho View Post
Inside BDtoAVCHD environment target usage is linked to speed vs quality preset
You mean I can change the quality to 2 by selecting "slower" or "veryslow" in the Speed vs. Quality pulldown menu?

Last edited by colinhunt; 23rd March 2014 at 13:21.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2014, 13:22   #23  |  Link
pistacho

Yes!
Old 23rd March 2014, 13:23   #24  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Yes!
Excellent. Thank you very much for a very nice software!
Old 23rd March 2014, 14:42   #25  |  Link
colinhunt

Hmm... This has now happened twice: I've tried to re-encode a Blu-ray 3D title into full 3D MVC .ISO, but for some reason BDtoAVCHD attempts to output 2D. I double-checked that "3D MVC" was selected in 3D Mode Selection, but the encode failed. Here's the error log and other data:

Code:
-[23/03/2014 - 11:49:28]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  LAST CMD LINE => "C:\Program Files (x86)\BDtoAVCHD\x264\x264.exe" --preset "veryslow" --tune "film" --bluray-compat --level "4.1" --vbv-bufsize
 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --bitrate 30537 --stats "F:\_TEMP\SPIDERS [2D+3D].ISO.job_0.stats" --keyint 24 --open-gop --slices 4 --frame-packing 14 
--qpfile "F:\_TEMP\SPIDERS [2D+3D].ISO.job_0.qpfile"  --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --sar 1:1 --pass 1 -o NUL ""

EXIT CODE     => -1 (0xFFFFFFFF)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There's no MVCenc_log in the temp directory, but there's a pass1_log.txt:

Code:
ffms [error]: could not create index
lavf [error]: could not open input file
raw [error]: raw input requires a resolution.
x264 [error]: could not open input file `' via any method!
So even though I made sure the software was set up for 3D MVC output, it tried to run the encode on x264.

update: After some testing, it looks like I need to close and restart BDtoAVCHD after every encode to avoid this problem.

Last edited by colinhunt; 23rd March 2014 at 19:08.
Old 23rd March 2014, 17:44   #26  |  Link
colinhunt

While testing 3D output from BDtoAVCHD I came up with a couple of feature requests:
1) the program should keep a database of source bitrates, so I wouldn't have to scan them every time when running several backups of the same title
2) also, for several backup runs, demuxed source files should not be deleted automatically like they are now; the program should be able to use previously demuxed files to speed things up
Old 23rd March 2014, 19:07   #27  |  Link
colinhunt

Ran a quality=3 backup of Gravity, and it looked fine. Ran another backup, this time with "placebo" (quality=1) and it came out garbled. Base view is fine, but dependent view is messed up. Did another run with quality set for 2, and that came out garbled as well.
Old 23rd March 2014, 23:18   #28  |  Link
colinhunt

Heh. I tried to make a 3D MVC backup of "3 A.M.", a Thai horror movie, and the process seems to have stopped at 100%, just before remuxing. Status line has read "MVCenc [100.00%] 136060/136079 frames, 65.54 fps, eta 0:00:00" for a couple of hours now, and nothing happens.

The very last line of MVCenc_log.txt is:

"fps, eta 0:00:46 MVCenc [97.8%] 133089/136079 frames, 65.59 fps, eta 0:00:45 MVCenc [97.9%] 133155/136079 frames, 65.59 fp"

Last edited by colinhunt; 23rd March 2014 at 23:21.
Old 24th March 2014, 11:35   #29  |  Link
pistacho

I made a conversion, GRAVITY with target_usage = 1, i7-3770k same grahic drivers and result are perfect, so seems that cause of "garbled" is other than target usage = 1.

For everything you mention seems that your system is unstable and fail randomly.

I cannot reproduce anything you mention.

I have also checked the source code and for example the x264 command line --frame-packing 14 cannot generated by my program and no sense
Code:
-[23/03/2014 - 11:49:28]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  LAST CMD LINE => "C:\Program Files (x86)\BDtoAVCHD\x264\x264.exe" --preset "veryslow" --tune "film" --bluray-compat --level "4.1" --vbv-bufsize
 30000 --vbv-maxrate 40000 --bitrate 30537 --stats "F:\_TEMP\SPIDERS [2D+3D].ISO.job_0.stats" --keyint 24 --open-gop --slices 4 --frame-packing 14 
--qpfile "F:\_TEMP\SPIDERS [2D+3D].ISO.job_0.qpfile"  --colorprim "bt709" --transfer "bt709" --colormatrix "bt709" --sar 1:1 --pass 1 -o NUL ""

EXIT CODE     => -1 (0xFFFFFFFF)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by pistacho; 24th March 2014 at 11:39.
Old 24th March 2014, 11:56   #30  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
I made a conversion, GRAVITY with target_usage = 1, i7-3770k same grahic drivers and result are perfect, so seems that cause of "garbled" is other than target usage = 1.
It's peculiar, I know. I even rebooted the rig remotely and re-tried with target_usage = 1, and the output was garbled again :/

Quote:
For everything you mention seems that your system is unstable and fail randomly.
Everything is possible. And yet it works like a charm with BD-Rebuilder and several other software programs. BD-RB had no problem with 3 A.M., for example, while BDtoAVCHD got stuck at the end of the file every time (three attempts).

Quote:
I have also checked the source code and for example the x264 command line --frame-packing 14 cannot generated by my program and no sense
Did you try what happens when you do one MVC encode, then load another source and try to make another MVC encode right away, without restarting BDtoAVCHD? It looks like I can't do two MVC encodes in a row without the second one getting messed up (x264 runs instead of MVCenc). The problem disappears if I shut down and restart BDtoAVCHD after every MVC encode.
Old 24th March 2014, 12:14   #31  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
It's peculiar, I know. I even rebooted the rig remotely and re-tried with target_usage = 1, and the output was garbled again :/
More quality = more hardware demand = more heat = more unstable

Quote:
Everything is possible. And yet it works like a charm with BD-Rebuilder and several other software programs. BD-RB had no problem with 3 A.M., for example, while BDtoAVCHD got stuck at the end of the file every time (three attempts).
BDRebuilder not reach 65 fps (imagine this, because I have not tried). Then not demand much to hardware.

Quote:
Did you try what happens when you do one MVC encode, then load another source and try to make another MVC encode right away, without restarting BDtoAVCHD? It looks like I can't do two MVC encodes in a row without the second one getting messed up (x264 runs instead of MVCenc). The problem disappears if I shut down and restart BDtoAVCHD after every MVC encode.
I have put up to 4 MVC jobs in the queue and have completed all OK.
Old 24th March 2014, 12:27   #32  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
More quality = more hardware demand = more heat = more unstable
Absolutely. When doing 2D backups on BD-RB, all CPU cores run at 100% for 8-12 hours straight. That's pretty taxing, and yet BD-RB has not crashed this rig once. Going by CPU Usage info alone, running an MVC encoding job with QuickSync is much less taxing than that. However, it's possible the desktop CPU Usage gadget I use does not tell the whole truth during MVC/QS encodes.

About the garbled output: I've only tried playing the output on Stereoscopic Player so far. I haven't burned the data on a BD-R to test on a stand-alone, because target_usage=3 output plays perfectly on Stereoscopic Player, but u:1 and u:2 do not. I'll have to find a BD-RE disc to try the output on a standalone player.

Quote:
BDRebuilder not reach 65 fps (imagine this, because I have not tried). Then not demand much to hardware.
It reached something like 62 fps when I did "3 A.M. 3D" on it last night.

Quote:
I have put up to 4 MVC jobs in the queue and have completed all OK.
I haven't used the queue, simply started another job manually once the previous one finished. That's when the program tries to make a 3D title using x264. It's like some corrupted data gets left in memory after a job, and is then read/used for the next one. This reminds me of multiAVCHD which has to be restarted for every job, even according to its creator.
Old 25th March 2014, 09:42   #33  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
I haven't used the queue, simply started another job manually once the previous one finished. That's when the program tries to make a 3D title using x264. It's like some corrupted data gets left in memory after a job, and is then read/used for the next one. This reminds me of multiAVCHD which has to be restarted for every job, even according to its creator.
I tested again: start MVC conversion, wait to finish, no close, start other MVC conversion and all is OK. I’m sorry but I cannot reproduce this bug.

Quote:
About the garbled output: I've only tried playing the output on Stereoscopic Player so far. I haven't burned the data on a BD-R to test on a stand-alone, because target_usage=3 output plays perfectly on Stereoscopic Player, but u:1 and u:2 do not. I'll have to find a BD-RE disc to try the output on a standalone player.
I also tried on Stereoscopic Player and image is perfect here with target_usage=1

Last edited by pistacho; 25th March 2014 at 09:59.
Old 25th March 2014, 10:47   #34  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
I tested again: start MVC conversion, wait to finish, no close, start other MVC conversion and all is OK. I’m sorry but I cannot reproduce this bug.
OK :/ There's really nothing special in my rig, it's not overclocked or anything. This is very odd.

Quote:
I also tried on Stereoscopic Player and image is perfect here with target_usage=1
I did four backups in a row with BDRB yesterday, all with target_usage=2 and they all play perfectly on Stereoscopic Player. All were done using QS, too, with encoding speed varying between 55 and 70 fps. BDRB has a tendency of creating undersized discs which is why I preferred your solution.

Hmm. Can I force BDtoAVCHD into using software decoding and hardware encoding, or vice-versa? I remember a while back, when testing FRIMEncoder, I got garbled output when decoding was done in hardware. Image corruption went away when I switched to software decode + hardware encode.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:50   #35  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
I remember a while back, when testing FRIMEncoder, I got garbled output when decoding was done in hardware. Image corruption went away when I switched to software decode + hardware encode.
Interesting: this explains that garbled output is not related exclusively to MVCenc but Quick Sync HW on your system.

MVCenc uses HW decoding + HW encoding (if available) and since uses only one loop (common for encoding + decoding) is not easy to do one process in SW and other in HW.

But, for testing proposes, you can force SW decoding + SW encoding renaming Intel Media SDK path to something:

Code:
C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK   =>  C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK__

Also I think that root cause of your Quick Sync HW problems may be in BIOS video memory settings. For example select a greater value of video memory size 128MB or 256MB or more.

(this is just an example image that I found on google. Another time I will look like I have it on my system)

Last edited by pistacho; 25th March 2014 at 11:54.
Old 25th March 2014, 14:04   #36  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Interesting: this explains that garbled output is not related exclusively to MVCenc but Quick Sync HW on your system.
Yes-ss... but with the latest FRIMEncoder I can run both decode and encode in HW without image corruption.

Quote:
But, for testing proposes, you can force SW decoding + SW encoding renaming Intel Media SDK path to something:
I'll give it a shot, thanks!

Quote:
Also I think that root cause of your Quick Sync HW problems may be in BIOS video memory settings.
Ah-ha, now we might be on to something. The rig also moonlights as a Hackintosh which requires a very small video memory setting. I can't remember what I set the memory amount to before carrying the rig to its current location. I suppose I need to carry it back to get a good look at BIOS, and maybe update it to the latest version while I'm at it
Old 4th October 2014, 16:49   #37  |  Link
pistacho

New version 2.2.1

Code:
Version 2.2.1 (10/04/2014)

- Updated to Intel Media SDK 2014 R2.
 - Added Kb/s written to disk on progress/eta status message.
 - Fixed: in some cases, last four or six frames of input stream are not encoded.
First post is updated also.
Old 26th October 2014, 11:33   #38  |  Link
pistacho

Version 2.2.2 (10/25/2014)
  • Fixed: Possible image corruption (artifacts on MVC view) using Quick Sync acceleration and latest Intel Graphics drivers 15.33.xx.39xx
Old 28th October 2014, 13:54   #39  |  Link
nunub

And what about SBS/TAB to 3D mvc encoding.
nunub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 13:37   #40  |  Link
pistacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunub View Post
And what about SBS/TAB to 3D mvc encoding.
This tool is for very specific task (recode BluRay 3D to BD25/ BD9 MVC) and SBS/TAB source is not needed.

Tags
3d blu-ray encoder, mvc encoder, mvcenc