Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 15th February 2021, 18:34   #1  |  Link
Yog_Sothoth

x265 (HEVC) basic encoder settings?

Hello. It's all too complicated for me. Could you just tell me what the basiс settings for encoding are?

For example:
  1. Profile.
  2. Level.
  3. Scaling mode (for downscaling).
  4. Any other options I need to change aside from bitrate, resolution, rate control mode?

Also, I'm not sure about the preset option. I tried comparing 2 short files with medium and very slow presets, and I only managed to gain 10 KB in size reduction with very slow one. Is it worth it to change it from medium if encoding for personal purposes?

Last edited by Yog_Sothoth; 15th February 2021 at 18:48.
Old 15th February 2021, 22:55   #2  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

You've got some learning to do

Maybe start here:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.265

A basic command that will give you decent compression for most content without getting too slow would be something like the following:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v libx265 -preset medium -crf 22 output.mp4
If you want to downscale (e.g. to 1080p assuming you're coming from a UHD source)

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf scale=w=-2:h=1080 -c:v libx265 -preset medium -crf 22 output.mp4
Drop the CRF value to increase bitrate / increase quality. Raise the CRF to do the opposite.

I'd suggest determining whether the default medium is tolerable in terms of speed. Use the slowest preset you can stand, and then tune your CRF value.
Old 16th February 2021, 00:54   #3  |  Link
Yog_Sothoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_MiSfit View Post
You've got some learning to do

Maybe start here:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/H.265

A basic command that will give you decent compression for most content without getting too slow would be something like the following:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v libx265 -preset medium -crf 22 output.mp4
If you want to downscale (e.g. to 1080p assuming you're coming from a UHD source)

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vf scale=w=-2:h=1080 -c:v libx265 -preset medium -crf 22 output.mp4
Drop the CRF value to increase bitrate / increase quality. Raise the CRF to do the opposite.

I'd suggest determining whether the default medium is tolerable in terms of speed. Use the slowest preset you can stand, and then tune your CRF value.
So, you're saying other settings don't matter? Why then I see settings different from the defaults when I download BDrips from the internet? For example, they usually have profile - main 10, and level - 4. And the scaling algorithm is set to bilinear by default, I thought it's considered not good in terms of quality?
Old 16th February 2021, 01:42   #4  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yog_Sothoth View Post
So, you're saying other settings don't matter? Why then I see settings different from the defaults when I download BDrips from the internet? For example, they usually have profile - main 10, and level - 4. And the scaling algorithm is set to bilinear by default, I thought it's considered not good in terms of quality?
You're not supposed to discuss pirated content. Read the rules, especially rule 6