Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th February 2021, 23:41   #1  |  Link
YaBoyShredderson

Minimum and maximum QP with 2 pass ABR

Ok, let me try to explain my intentions with this.

The benefit of CRF is that no matter what video you encode, the same level of quality will come out the other end (assuming equal quality sources). The downside is that the file size is entirely unpredictable.

The benefit of ABR is that the file size is predictable, but the quality isnt. Easily compressible content will come out bloated, and difficult to compress content will come out degraded.

My thought with this is to use the minimum and maximum QP settings to allow easily compressed content to compress more than the set bitrate would typically allow, and it would allow hard to compress content to be higher in bitrate, with all the regular stuff coming out where i want it.

This way, my thinking is this will have everything come out at the same bitrate, EG 7mbits, but will allow the extreme outliers a bit of leaway. The easy stuff will be, say 5 mbits, and the harder stuff will be maybe 10.

Have i got this right? Will it just shift the average up or down if i do this? Or am i missing something?
YaBoyShredderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 pass, abr, crf, hevc, quantisation parameter