Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Closed Thread

Old 20th December 2016, 18:56   #1121  |  Link
frank
Banned

@r0lZ

I use --level 4.0 and additional options like:
--bluray-compat
--vbv-bufsize 15000 --vbv-maxrate 15000

BD compatible is NOT set because of other special options.

BD3D2MK3D adds to the generated commandline the old buffer params (35000...).
Can you change that?
When you set bluray-compat in MEGUI than other params are not inserted.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:15   #1122  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Well, unfortunately, the devs of x264 have taken very bad decisions regarding the --level parameter. When the --level parameter is provided, it should restrict the bufsize and maxrate parameters so that the final result is compatible with the specified level, but it's not what it does. For unbelievable reasons, the --level parameter does nothing except to add the specified level to the header of the h264 stream, WITHOUT actually restricting the real level of the stream. Therefore, the level in the header does NOT reflect the level of the stream! It's obviously a bug, although it has been introduced deliberately. (There are modified versions of the encoder with that bug fixed, but I prefer to use the untouched exes.) It's a pity and that makes selecting the right parameters very difficult, but it's a fact. That means that to obey the level specified by the user and be compatible with the hardware, BD3D2MK3D has to specify the --vbv-* parameters as well, according to the specified level. It's why I can't remove them when you specify the --level with the GUI, as otherwise there will be no guarantee that the specified level is indeed taken into account (and it is too difficult to explain to the casual user that he has to specify the vbv parameter in addition to the level).

If you really want to specify the level with other vbv parameters, you should use "do not force" for the level parameter of x264 in the BD3D2MK3D GUI, and specify it manually in the additional parameters, with the vbv parameters. That way, BD3D2MK3D will not restrict the bufsize and maxrate and you are free to do what you want.

Also, I remember that I did some tests with some parameters specified several times, and it seems that when the same parameter is specified twice with different values, x264 uses always the value of the last occurrence in the command line. BD3D2MK3D adds the additional options near the end of the command line, and therefore if the user specifies a parameter that has also been specified by BD3D2MK3D, the value of the user's option should be used by the encoder. However, I can't guarantee that x264 works always that way, so I prefer to recommend to use the "do not force" trick.
Old 21st December 2016, 09:25   #1123  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
You can indeed add --psnr to the command line for quality measurement.
In fact, you can select the psnr for the Tune parameter in the BD3D2MK3D GUI. It does the same thing. Of course, you cannot select another tune at the same time.

BTW, afaik, to use the psnr option, you have to specify it twice. It must be added alone in the command line AND as the tune parameter (--psnr --tune psnr). I may be wrong, but it's what BD3D2MK3D does when the user selects psnr for the Tune parameter in its GUI. Same thing for ssim.
Old 21st December 2016, 11:43   #1124  |  Link
sneaker_ger

--psnr will measure psnr. --tune psnr will optimize encoding for best psnr result by disabling AQ and psy. So they do different things. --tune psnr is dangerous and harmful and should not be used for anything but testing. (similar applies to --ssim/--tune ssim)

Psy hurts psnr and ssim but looks better to humans. The x264 developers added the warning because in comparison tests against encoders that don't have any psy feature the results are skewed/unfair.

Last edited by sneaker_ger; 21st December 2016 at 12:06.
Old 21st December 2016, 12:00   #1125  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Interesting. But IMO, what BD3D2MK3D does makes sense, because if the user selects psnr as the Tune option in the GUI, then that means that the --psnr parameter must be specified too, because if I understand correctly, disabling psy without enabling psnr (or ssim) doesn't make sense.

In the other hand, it makes sense to specify --psnr without the psnr tune, just to have a feedback about the quality (although it will not be perfectly correct) and without disabling the psy optimisation to keep the encoding for the final MKV. It's what Frank does. To do that with BD3D2MK3D, it is sufficient to add the --psnr argument manually in the additional options field.

Correct?
Old 21st December 2016, 12:06   #1126  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Correct.
Old 21st December 2016, 17:25   #1127  |  Link
frank
Banned

Correct (--psnr argument manually in the additional options field.)

Thanks for your info, r0lZ. Yes, the last buffer param overwrites the first, but overwriting user defined params is annoying.
For reencoding I ever use level 4.0 because we REDUCE information to that level, otherwise I would use remux.
The 4.0 bandwidth is comparable with AVCHD, HDTV and very useful for streaming (WLAN!!) or beamers and old TV-players - no stuttering. And I can't see any quality disadvantage, seeking and handling is smooth.

Maybe you can set user defined params in an editable user line (hidden if you want). Like jdobbs in BD-Rebuilder does.
Once defined I want to use my own encoding params (user profile) for every transcode.
That would be a christmas gift for me...
EDIT: Solved by using "do not force" for the level parameter of x264 and using additional options.

Last edited by frank; 21st December 2016 at 18:44.
Old 21st December 2016, 17:51   #1128  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Maybe you can set user defined params in an editable user line (hidden if you want).
I'm not sure I understand. Currently, only the mode (CRF/CQ/2-pass/ABR), the CRF/Quantizer/Bitrate value and the preset must be specified in the GUI. And BD3D2MK3D sets also some parameters depending of the movie, like the number of frames and the colorspace. Everything else can already be specified by the user, in the additional options field. And the content of that field is saved, like almost everything else, when you save the settings (from the Settings menu). I don't think I can do more.
Old 21st December 2016, 18:05   #1129  |  Link
frank
Banned

Latest DGMVCSource

Donald published it in March 2016.
Quote:
Re: Binaries Update Notification Thread
Postby admin » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:42 pm

I released DGMVCSource b25. It improves performance by 33%. Note that the 'hw' option has been changed to a new string option called 'mode'. Please read the documentation for details.
To find on http://rationalqm.us/mine.html
I can confirm his statement!
On my Dell notebook (CPU 3rd gen) I use HW decoding (sw 12fps -> hw 15fps). The b25 is more stable! Now blockiness (buffer problems?) in some movies is gone away. B3D2MK3D speed goes up to 18...19 fps in hw mode. Tested with Win 10 prof.

The new param is mode = "auto" instead of hw=0

Last edited by frank; 11th January 2017 at 12:20.
Old 21st December 2016, 18:35   #1130  |  Link
frank
Banned

Thanks, now user params work for me
My problem was:
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ:
...you should use "do not force" for the level parameter of x264 in the BD3D2MK3D GUI

Last edited by frank; 21st December 2016 at 18:37.
Old 21st December 2016, 18:38   #1131  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
To find on http://rationalqm.us/mine.html
I can confirm his statement!
On my Dell notebook (CPU 3rd gen) I use HW decoding (sw 12fps -> hw 15fps). The b25 is more stable! Now blockiness (buffer problems?) in some movies is gone away. B3D2MK3D speed goes up to 18...19 fps. Tested with Win 10 prof.
Good to hear. Thanks for your test results.
Old 27th December 2016, 13:46   #1132  |  Link
Nico8583

b25 improves performance by 33% for HW and/or SW decoding ?
Old 27th December 2016, 13:56   #1133  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

I haven't tried b25 yet, but thanks for the reminder. It will be included in the next version of BD3D2MK3D anyway.
Old 27th December 2016, 14:41   #1134  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico8583 View Post
b25 improves performance by 33% for HW and/or SW decoding ?
Should be substantial for both.
Old 8th January 2017, 11:09   #1135  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.97

EDIT: DO NOT USE THIS VERSION. It has a big bug when using DGMVCSource as the MVC decoder. Use v0.98 or greater!

Just a little bug fix. The exe of the third party programs have also been updated to the latest version.
Quote:
v0.97 (January 8, 2017)
- Minor cosmetic changes
- Fix: The bitrate in the labels of the stereo audio tracks was wrong
- Updated DGMVCSource to the latest version (1.0.0 b25)
- Updated the Mkvtoolnix exes to the latest version (v9.6.1)
- Updated the x264 exes to the latest version (v0.148.2744)
- Updated the x265 exes to the latest version (2.2+22)
Note that the version number in the Properties -> Details of the DGMVCDecode.dll is still 1.0.0.24, but it's really the b25. I suppose that Donald forgot to change the version number in his source files.

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th January 2017 at 10:29.
Old 9th January 2017, 18:06   #1136  |  Link
Humbo

Hello!
I'm having some problems, and this is the error message I get:

avs [error]: Script error: DGMVCSource does not have a named argument "hw"

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 9th January 2017, 18:54   #1137  |  Link
videoh
Useful n00b

The new version has modified syntax:

DGMVCSource("combined.264","",view=0,frames=2000,mode="auto")
or
DGMVCSource("base.264","dependent.264",view=0,frames=2000,mode="auto")

* single source clip is the combined MVC elementary stream, made with eac3to and mvccombine,
or dual source clips are the base and dependent elementary streams.
* if a single source clip is specified that is a normal AVC file (not a combined MVC file),
then it will be correctly treated as a normal AVC file, and the view parameter is ignored.
* view: 0 = interleaved left and right, 1 = left only, 2 = right only.
* frames: number of frames, if too few the stream is truncated, if too many extra black frames are returned.
The specified frames parameter is internally doubled when delivering interleaved, i.e., when view=0.
* mode chooses mode of decoding: "auto" (default) - use HW acceleration if it is available, otherwise use SW,
"sw" - force SW decoding, "hw" - force HW acceleration, fail if it is not available. If mode is
not specified, then "auto" is assumed.
* multiple instantiation in a single script is supported to the limit of available resources.

I suppose BD3D2MK3D needs to be modified to invoke DGMVCSource correctly for the new parameters.

Last edited by videoh; 9th January 2017 at 18:58.
Old 9th January 2017, 19:53   #1138  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Oops, sorry. No time right now, but I will fix that bug tomorrow.
Old 10th January 2017, 10:26   #1139  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v0.98

OK, here is the fix. Sorry again. I did a quick test with v0.97 and DGMVCSource b25, and it worked, but I have not noticed that the decoder was FRIMSource!
Quote:
v0.98 (January 10, 2017)
- Bug introduced in v0.97: DGMVCSource crashed due to its new syntax of the hw/mode parameter
If you have old projects build with v0.96 or previous versions of BD3D2MK3D, and if DGMVCSource was the selected MVC decoder (the default), you will NOT be able to encode them with v0.98. If you don't want to rebuild the whole project from the 3DBD, you can simply edit the __ENCODE_3D_MOVIE.avs file and change the last parameter of the DGMVCSource() line according to this table:

Old syntax -> New syntax
hw = 0 -> mode = "auto"
hw = 1 -> mode = "sw"
hw = 2 -> mode = "hw"

Similarly, if you want to use projects generated with v0.98 or greater with an old version of DGMVCSource, you should apply the same conversion in the opposite order. For your convenience, v0.98 adds a comment with the old syntax at the end of the DGMVCSource() line. But normally, you should not need to use an old version of DGMVCSource.

Download: BD3D2MK3D.7z
Old 10th January 2017, 11:57   #1140  |  Link
Humbo

Much appreciated!
Closed Thread