Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Capturing Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 7th April 2020, 19:00   #1  |  Link
tugatomsk9
tugatomsk9

VHS capture using Avermedia Game Capture II

I’m thinking of digitally recording my personal motorsports VHS collection that spans over 20 years, but I’m unsure as to what hardware should I buy.

I’ve had a poor experience with a MAGIX usb-pen video capture device. It uses proprietary codecs that are a hassle to configure and the maximum video bitrate is not impressive. Moreover, the audio quality is poor, with noticeable signal noise. This is the reason why I haven’t considered ElGato’s video-pen device.

My PC has no available PCI or PCI-e slots available, so fully dedicated video capture cards are not an option.

Then there’s this: the Avermedia Game Capture II. Even though it’s mainly designed for videogame capture, but the fact it could work as a standalone video capture device caught my attention.

Can its maximum 14000 kbps using k264/AVC could record interlaced video with good quality, i.e., without interlacing or other artifacts? Also, can this device double the framerate (from 50i to 50p) via hardware directly into a finished video file?

Thanks in advance.
tugatomsk9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avermedia, capture, gamecapture, vhs