Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 15th January 2024, 23:11   #2141  |  Link
Thundik81

MPC-HC v2.1.4

https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases

Code:
Changes from 2.1.3 to 2.1.4:

Changes/additions/improvements:

There is a new "User Interface" options page where several options have been moved to.
    Removed opensubtitle.org subtitle provider. Its API has been shut down and replaced by opensubtitles.com. Please note that although these two websites have same owners, they use separate login accounts.
    Added advanced option for insertion of deinterlace blend filter when capturing. Previously the filter was always used.
    Reduced minimum default logo/video area size to 16x16 when using the blank logo.
    Some improvements for parsing M3U playlists.
    Automatic skipping to next playlist entry will pause after 5 invalid entries in a row (such as missing files or broken URLs).
    When viewing an image file, it is now possible to jump to next/previous image file in same folder.

Fixes:

Fixed a bug where wrong subtitle track index was saved into history when both embedded and external subs were present.
    Fixed manual subtitle search (from results window) for opensubtitles.com provider.
    Several other small fixes and improvements.
Thundik81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2024, 16:45   #2142  |  Link
ashlar42

Using 2.1.4 I have the "Remember file position" option activated but it does not work. It used to work just fine with an older build I was using.

Anything comes to mind as to what might be the problem? The program used to resume playback where I last stopped a file, now it always starts at the beginning of the file.
Old 16th January 2024, 19:42   #2143  |  Link
clsid

Perhaps you are storing settings in INI file, and it does not have write permissions?

You can see history in:
Menu > File > Recent Files
Old 16th January 2024, 22:17   #2144  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
Perhaps you are storing settings in INI file, and it does not have write permissions?

You can see history in:
Menu > File > Recent Files
The store settings in ini file option is not active. I can see my files history and it works correctly. It's just the position that is not working and it used to work with MPC-HC.2.0.0.70.x64 (the version I was using before updating).

Last edited by ashlar42; 16th January 2024 at 22:21.
ashlar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2024, 22:39   #2145  |  Link
ashlar42

I browsed my MediaHistory key in the registry. There's tons of files there. Ones played back with previous versions have the FilePosition key correctly populated. And if I start them in the program, they start where I had left off.

But when I stop, the FilePosition key gets populated with this:

And this is true for any file played now... :-/
Old 16th January 2024, 22:51   #2146  |  Link
clsid

That is because you pressed STOP.
If you want to resume later, you need to PAUSE or just close the player during playback.
This is intentional and will not be changed.
Old 16th January 2024, 23:05   #2147  |  Link
ashlar42

Quote:
That is because you pressed STOP.
If you want to resume later, you need to PAUSE or just close the player during playback.
This is intentional and will not be changed.
That's it. Thank you. I had changed my EventGhost setup to issue a Stop command before closing the player. Did not know it would affect file position saving.

Thanks again for the help and for the continued maintenance of the software.
Old 21st January 2024, 22:13   #2148  |  Link
huhn

using libass for ass when the sub picture buffer is not set to 0 it will fail and video is unwatchable and one thread get's hammered everytime a new simple subtitle line is loaded.

tested with madVR and mpcVR.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2024, 15:03   #2149  |  Link
clsid

That is why it is 0 by default.

I probably should just remove the entire queue option.
Old 22nd January 2024, 17:48   #2150  |  Link
huhn

or at least force 0 for libass.
most likely a setting i was using many many years ago and never changed. it was at 10.
does it not have benefits for vsfilter? things have changed massively over the many years.
Old 30th January 2024, 19:00   #2151  |  Link
Cutterkin

MPC Video Renderer Options

I've been using EVR-CP for years since that is all I needed and it worked fine, but I finally have the right equipment for HDR (HDR OLED TV and a 4070 TI Super) so it is time for some changes. I see that MadVR is still considered the gold standard, but since future support is uncertain and MPC-HC now has it's own HDR renderer I would like to just jump into MPC Renderer and "grow" with that.

I'm using the clsid version, and know how to get to the settings, but have no idea what I am looking at. Googling terms like Lanczos and Catmull-Rom produce lots of results, but I'm looking for info specifically on how these are used in MPC-HC (with MPC Video Renderer), guides, explanations, tweaking info - things like that.

Any good links that explain all these options, what they do, how to best set them up for my usage, etc.? Any info would be appreciated!
Cutterkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2024, 21:37   #2152  |  Link
huhn

these are just the name of simple image scaler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling

jinc real name is ewa lanczos which is even slower and fancier version of lanczos.

cartmull-rom and nitchall... are nick names for versions of bicubic. mpcVR bicubic sharp is also know as bicubic 150 because it uses a value of -1.50. here this explains "bicubic" well kind of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuXjwB4LzSA

lanczos can look at more pixel the number at the end usually means that but there are different ways to count that so lanczos 2 may mean 2 totally different things.

the option selected in chroma will be used to scale the chroma the option upscaling will be used for the image so after chroma is correct that all.
Old 30th January 2024, 23:20   #2153  |  Link
clsid

By default it uses the DXVA2/D3D11 video processor for resizing. So those Shaders are not used unless you uncheck that option. In general, don't touch/change things that you do not understand.

If you wish to use Shaders, then bottom most choice in the dropdowns is generally best for quality and slowest in performance.
Old 11th February 2024, 15:00   #2154  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

When the internal subtitle renderer is chosen, what does "use libass for srt" do?
Siso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2024, 16:08   #2155  |  Link
huhn

it will use libass instead of vsfilter
Old 11th February 2024, 16:16   #2156  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
it will use libass instead of vsfilter
Any major differences?
Old 11th February 2024, 16:53   #2157  |  Link
huhn

no it's about srt subtitles.
for ass it can be a major difference.
Old 11th February 2024, 17:26   #2158  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no it's about srt subtitles.
for ass it can be a major difference.
Thanks huhn, unfortunally I can't move the subtitles lower when using libass for srt.
Old 11th February 2024, 18:35   #2159  |  Link
clsid

Do NOT use libass for SRT.
It has no benefit unless you need it for some weird font related feature, which you don't.
You will also loose SubResync functionality.

Ctrl+Shift+Minus = move sub down

Last edited by clsid; 11th February 2024 at 18:37.
clsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2024, 09:56   #2160  |  Link
Siso
Soul Seeker

Quote:
Do NOT use libass for SRT.
It has no benefit unless you need it for some weird font related feature, which you don't.
You will also loose SubResync functionality.

Ctrl+Shift+Minus = move sub down
Thank you, for the info.